Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpsmith76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Huntsville, AL USA
I know some of us had to "Fake" the birthday to create an Apple ID for a child in the past, then when family sharing came about we were unable to convert that Apple ID into a Child Apple ID, because we could not change their birthday below the limit.

Well, this weekend I discovered that you can now change the birthday through the Apple ID management portal to be young, and it will ask you to confirm billing information and the Apple ID will now be considered to be a child Apple ID.

Prior to this, I had called Apple Care, and they told me there was no way to do this, and if I wanted a real Child Apple ID, I would have to create a new one for them.

So, I guess it is good news, that we can finally put our child's real birthday in the system.

rnbwd

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2015
Seattle
I have the opposite problem. I was testing that functionality (as a developer) on beta, and found out that you can't change a child back to an adult (the reverse). So apparently I now I have a 4 year old son! It has no effect on my experience so I haven't tried calling applecare - but there's no way to change this via the website's interface.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
I know some of us had to "Fake" the birthday to create an Apple ID for a child in the past, then when family sharing came about we were unable to convert that Apple ID into a Child Apple ID, because we could not change their birthday below the limit.

Well, this weekend I discovered that you can now change the birthday through the Apple ID management portal to be young, and it will ask you to confirm billing information and the Apple ID will now be considered to be a child Apple ID.

Prior to this, I had called Apple Care, and they told me there was no way to do this, and if I wanted a real Child Apple ID, I would have to create a new one for them.

So, I guess it is good news, that we can finally put our child's real birthday in the system.

why would you even care? :) who cares what birthday is there on your appleid profile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.