Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sovre

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
Hey guys. So while I was using my iphone today a message popped up: "Apple ID sign in requested" "Your apple ID is being used to sign in to a device near Quezon City, Metro Manila."
Only Apple device device I was using at that time was my phone, and I am not in Manila. What does this mean, that someone hacked my password and was trying to access my account?
Does it mean someone actually knew my password, or they were just trying to guess and get into my account?
I did change my password and confirmed sign out on all devices - but wondering if I still need to worry, or there's anything else I should do to make sure my account is secure?
Thanks.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Only Apple device device I was using at that time was my phone, and I am not in Manila. What does this mean, that someone hacked my password and was trying to access my account?
Most likely, it means you were targeted in a random phishing attack. All you had to do was ignore it (or not approve it). It's also quite possible that someone did try to sign in with your AppleID (which is usually your email address) and they didn't succeed so no action is required from you.

Last edited:
Reactions: sovre

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Hey guys. So while I was using my iphone today a message popped up: "Apple ID sign in requested" "Your apple ID is being used to sign in to a device near Quezon City, Metro Manila."
Does it mean someone actually knew my password, or they were just trying to guess and get into my account?
I did change my password and confirmed sign out on all devices - but wondering if I still need to worry, or there's anything else I should do to make sure my account is secure?
Thanks.
Don't accept any suspicious log in prompts. It's good you reset your password and logged out devices. They might know your password or be guessing it but you should always assume they know it.

If you used the same password anywhere else then change those accounts too. Maybe put your email into https://haveibeenpwned.com/ (it's safe don't worry) and see if anything comes up. Although you're just putting in your email it's most likely if your email is leaked then your passwords will be leaked too. Any accounts you suspect of being compromised change the password.

Check what devices are registered to your account either on your iPhone or the website. If you see something you don't recognise then remove it.

Have a look through this and make whatever changes you think you need:

I'd suggest doing the recovery contacts and recovery key. Make sure your recovery key is kept safe. Its your responsibility not Apple's. Without it if you're locked out you will never get back into your account if you don't know it.

Another thing you can do, which is more extreme and expensive, is to buy TWO physical hardware security keys. Yubikey is quite popular.

Reactions: sovre
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.