Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kvashi2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2020
I have forgotten password to my Apple Id. Tried different methods to unlock the password- went to their website, my different iphones, my relative's iphone. But no luck. Now it is saying that I have to wait few days to get the password unlocked.

I had the same process a month back and got the same result - NONE. Apple never contacted me to unlock the password as they said they would. This is a scam....If you are locked out of Apple Id, Apple support will give you a run-around and finally you give up..

Anyone had similar issue with Apple Support?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
There is no scam.

Why haven’t you written down the password and stored in a secure location? This is the second time you have forgotten your password.

The fact that you have done this to yourself twice and haven’t taken steps to safe guard the password is your fault.

You are to blame. Wait the time needed and do a better job of managing your passwords.

Last edited:

kvashi2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2020
You are not getting my point. I am talking about Apple Id (and iPhone passcode). and yes, this a scam....

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You are not getting my point. I am talking about Apple Id (and iPhone passcode). and yes, this a scam....
I get the fact that..
1) you aren’t organized
2) you don’t secure sensitive passwords for retrieval
3) you blame others when you should blame yourself
4) there is no scam here, just bad behavior on your part, and trying to push it off on Apple

Waited the time Apple has stipulated and create a new password.

kvashi2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2020
Are you saying that if I own Apple device - I can NEVER EVER forget Apple ID password? That is such a bogus thing....
Apple stands for intuition, ease of use, friendliness. What I am seeing is a dark side of the Apple products and their short coming. Rather than taking this as an opportunity for improvement, they are giving their customers run- around. You are probably young. If you wait till you get older and start forgetting things, you will realize then what it means to not be able to remember the password (which are probably in hundreds) and having to reset passwords every often and then. I do think - ITS A SCAMMMMMMMM!

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Slightly off topic. What is the method then if someone forgets their password ?

My brother used 2fa with his google account , something occurred with his number and he couldn’t get into that account. Google didn’t help him either.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Your data, your responsibility. That piece of data includes your password for accessing said data. Forgetting the password is naturally your fault, just like forgetting/losing your key to your home and need to call locksmith to get into your house.

Apple as a company that puts shareholder value naturally over customer value, don't want to cover the back of customers for every single of their fault. If Apple allows people forgetting their Apple ID password or passcode to reset said password, they’d open a flood gate and Apple would be on the same boat (PR wise) as Google, minus ad revenue. Clearly they don’t want that happen.

iPhone device passcode can be reset after restoring your device to factory settings, which deletes all of your data. Apple ID has other mechanisms helping to reset, though they are not perfect.

ACB 123

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
All BS aside, not options except to wait. Many people have gone down this rode.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It really annoys me when irresponsible people look to blame others. This entitled mindset is killing the society.

Slightly off topic. What is the method then if someone forgets their password ?

My brother used 2fa with his google account , something occurred with his number and he couldn’t get into that account. Google didn’t help him either.

The whole point of 2FA is so that you as a legitimate owner of the account can recover / reset your forgotten password. The second factor in the authentication process confirms that it’s really you who’s trying to get access to your account.

Now if you compromise the method of resetting it then as a company Google doesn’t really have a choice. Then anyone can pretend to be you and call them to get help to unlock your account. That’s one of the main methods hackers / scammers used in the past to gain access to people’s accounts.

Digital account passwords are as valuable if not more as your house keys. I don’t know why in the 21st century this needs to be explained to people.

Last edited:

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
It really annoys me when irresponsible people look to blame others. This entitled mindset is killing the society.

The whole point of 2FA is so that you as a legitimate owner of the account can recover / reset your forgotten password. The second factor in the authentication process confirms that it’s really you who’s trying to get access to your account.

Now if you compromise the method of resetting it then as a company Google doesn’t really have a choice. Then anyone can pretend to be you and call them to get help to unlock your account. That’s one of the main methods hackers / scammers used in the past to gain access to people’s accounts.

Digital account passwords is as valuable if not more as your house keys. I don’t know why in the 21st century this needs to be explained to people.

You’re singing to the choir. I know how 2FA works, I was merely stating that once you forgot or lose your phone number ,you’re account is dead.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You’re singing to the choir. I know how 2FA works, I was merely stating that once you forgot or lose your phone number ,you’re account is dead.

Ah, apologies. I got confused only because you started your post with a question.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

So my iPhone XS Max was stolen earlier this year and that went with my SIM. What helped was that my iPad and Huawei P30 Pro we’re devices that we’re signed in to GMail, so both of them could do 2FA.

I think it is important to have a second device that stays at home with that access, otherwise you will be in trouble.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I have forgotten password to my Apple Id. Tried different methods to unlock the password- went to their website, my different iphones, my relative's iphone. But no luck. Now it is saying that I have to wait few days to get the password unlocked.

I had the same process a month back and got the same result - NONE. Apple never contacted me to unlock the password as they said they would. This is a scam....If you are locked out of Apple Id, Apple support will give you a run-around and finally you give up..

Anyone had similar issue with Apple Support?

So what do you expect Apple to do if you’ve forgotten your own details?

Rather than ranting and making no sense, why don’t you actually explain in a clear and concise manner what you’ve actually done and what the problem is?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bethanie21

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
Are you saying that if I own Apple device - I can NEVER EVER forget Apple ID password? That is such a bogus thing....
Apple stands for intuition, ease of use, friendliness. What I am seeing is a dark side of the Apple products and their short coming. Rather than taking this as an opportunity for improvement, they are giving their customers run- around. You are probably young. If you wait till you get older and start forgetting things, you will realize then what it means to not be able to remember the password (which are probably in hundreds) and having to reset passwords every often and then. I do think - ITS A SCAMMMMMMMM!

If you forget things, write them down.

Leslie Olsson

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2020
I've got 2FA set, but it is so odd, when I try to reset it using the phone's passcode, it says its the incorrect passcode, which clearly it is not, because I just used the passcode to unlock the phone to even be on the phone. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Also, I went through the steps to change the passcode, and the phone accepts the new passcode, but it doesn't recognize that one either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.