Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmaclach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
I have an Apple ID with an old MacBook (Mid 2010) that is running High Sierra (10.13.6) with all security patches etc. This is the latest version of macOS that this device can use. When I attempt to add a new Apple Watch Series 7 to the account I get the following dialog:
Update.jpeg

and I'm concerned that if I continue that I will be unable to log the MacBookPro back into the Apple ID. Any idea what is going on here? As far as I can tell there are no macOS requirements for Watch that I can find listed anywhere, and as far as things like 2FA are concerned, High Sierra should be sufficient. Haven't found anything useful on this anywhere...

To make this searchable:
These devices will need an update
To use your Apple ID on this Apple Watch and other devices, a software update will be required for the devices below.
To continue setting up this Apple Watch, you will be signed out if these devices until the software update is complete.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
This doesn’t directly answer your question but…

Back in early November, I was able to setup my new AW S7 running watchOS 8.1 and pair it with an iPhone 6s running iOS 15.1. Both devices were, and still are, using my Apple ID that includes a 2011 MacBook Pro running El Capitan.

FWIW I’m sticking with watchOS 8.1 and iOS 15.1 until the dust settles about charging issues.

Good Luck — GetRealBro

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It's probably related to the AppleID management features of WatchOS 8. If you continue setting up the Watch, it sounds like you will be permanently signed out of your AppleID on the MacBook Pro. This might be an excellent time to spring for an M1 MacBook Air.

Reactions: haruhiko

Wpaulo

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
What iPhone and iOS are you using to set up the watch? Plug your phone into your Mac and there may be a small update program that allows the two to be compatible.

Last edited:

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Try connecting your phone to the macbook and see if it popup with installation of a device support update. I have an older iMac still running High Sierra with same Apple-id and not encountered that message. I do however also have two other Mac's running Big Sur and Monterey.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
As significant1 suggests, a “Device Support” update for Sierra may be the issue. Note the Apple Watch guide says ”If you have a Mac running macOS 10.12 [Sierra] or later, you can unlock your computer with your Apple Watch.”

GetRealBro
The 2010 MacBook Pro does not support this.

“If you have a Mac (mid-2013 or later) with macOS 10.13 or later, your Apple Watch can instantly unlock your Mac when it wakes from sleep. You need to be signed in to iCloud using the same Apple ID on both your Mac and Apple Watch.”

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Thanks for catching the inconstancy in the Apple Watch Guide info.

FWIW my quote came from near the bottom of this page...
And yours came from the top of the linked page...

GetRealBro

dmaclach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
So after posting in a bunch of forums, and getting some notes telling me I "should" be fine, I finally went ahead and tried again

and the dialog didn't come up this time and everything just worked. Nothing changed on any of the machines. Sigh.... So apparently it "works". Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

Reactions: getrealbro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.