Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouisOscar17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Hi,

I've recently purchased a domain, let's say surname.com, and created an Microsoft Exchange email address firstname@surname.com. This morning I have tried creating an Apple ID using the firstname@surname.com email address but got a response than an Apple ID using that email address already exists.

I have spoken to Apple Support who advised ME that a previous owner of the domain name opened an Apple ID with that email address and that they are therefore unable to help me remove/close the ID so I can open my own Apple ID with the said email address.

Does anybody have any suggestions or know of any loopholes to get around this? I've tried clicking Forgotten Password and requesting a reset email but it hasn't arrived. Would I need to know the previous owners date of birth, security answers etc?

Tried asking domain seller to forward a message to the old owner but they cannot help.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Hi,

I've recently purchased a domain, let's say surname.com, and created an Microsoft Exchange email address firstname@surname.com. This morning I have tried creating an Apple ID using the firstname@surname.com email address but got a response than an Apple ID using that email address already exists.

I have spoken to Apple Support who advised ME that a previous owner of the domain name opened an Apple ID with that email address and that they are therefore unable to help me remove/close the ID so I can open my own Apple ID with the said email address.

Does anybody have any suggestions or know of any loopholes to get around this? I've tried clicking Forgotten Password and requesting a reset email but it hasn't arrived. Would I need to know the previous owners date of birth, security answers etc?

Tried asking domain seller to forward a message to the old owner but they cannot help.
As you now own the email address, see if there's a way to change the password of the Apple ID account. If not, then just use <another-cool-name>@surname.com and see if it'll let you try and add firstname as an alias.

Reactions: chabig

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hi,

It sounds like you are wanting to try and take over someone else's Apple ID to use as your own. You can't do that. There are no loopholes. You cannot use the same Apple ID email address as someone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.