Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
Hello! I want to get an old Apple II to do fun stuff on. I don't care what version it is (IIe, IIc, II+, etc) but I'm kinda favoring the IIe. I also got an Apple Monochrome Monitor IIe from my school today. First, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to get one aside from eBay, especially for free:) I was also wondering if there was anything besides a computer that I could plug into my monitor. That would be cool, just to experiment with it. Also, please tell me cool things about Apple IIs. Thanks:)

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I found a Apple ][c at the Salvation Army for $5.00 and it had the monitor that floats above the Computer and the Getting Started book.

classiccomputer

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2005
Stop by the comp.sys.apple2 newsgroup for all the Apple II info you need. Spend a day (or two) visiting your local thrift shops. Chances are, you'll find an Apple II or two for next to nothing.

/flamebait

The IIe (in all of its iterations) was the most common of the II lineup; the IIgs was the final and most powerful of the II's, tragically cut down in its prime by an egomaniacal Jobs (kinda redundant, isn't it?) focused on flogging the new Mac, which at the time was severly lacking by comparison.

/flamebait off

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
classiccomputer said:
, tragically cut down in its prime by an egomaniacal Jobs (kinda redundant, isn't it?) focused on flogging the new Mac, which at the time was severly lacking by comparison.

/flamebait off

The ][GS was released in 1986 Steve left Apple in '85.
The ][GS was a marvel in audio production Up until the early to mid 90's, it was the most powerful home computer in existance for music and sound capabilities (most certain more advanced than what the Amiga and Macintosh offered).~http://www.apple-history.com

classiccomputer

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2005
Spock said:
The ][GS was released in 1986 Steve left Apple in '85.
The ][GS was a marvel in audio production Up until the early to mid 90's, it was the most powerful home computer in existance for music and sound capabilities (most certain more advanced than what the Amiga and Macintosh offered).~http://www.apple-history.com

Yes, but the IIgs was in development before Steve left. Apple's sales, PR and marketing campaigns (whose budget came mostly from Apple II sales for the first few years) all focused nearly exclusively on the Mac; the IIgs received barely any press at all. Development of the II was halted, even in the face of perennially high sales volume, a decision made entirely by Jobs.

Other less reliable rumors say that Jobs hated the II line, primarily because he had little to do with the design; and the monumental failure of the III, a personal project of his that his ego ruined, only deepened his distaste for the aging line.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Definitely comb the thrift stores - best place to look.

When I was in 6th grade in '93, I had a charismatic computer teacher who introduced us to the internet. His machine of choice was a IIgs running the Mac-like GS/OS. I remember thinking how cool that machine was compared to my //e at home.

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
Thanks for the replies:) I'll be sure to check thrift stores really soon. I checked my middle and elementary schools. Both of the computer people at the schools were very helpful, and liked the idea of getting rid of their old computers. I couldn't get an Apple //e, but I got a PowerMac 6100 (which is awesome) and a 5500/225 (I think) which is also very nice, but needs system software. I'm really looking foreward to an Apple // though:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.