Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
California
It doesn't seem all that long ago.

It's been ten years since Steve Jobs took the stage in New York city for the 1997 Macworld conference. It was an ominous occasion, Apple was struggling like it never had before, some saying that Apple wasn't going to survive. Jobs laid out the goundwork for the road to Apple's recovery, and during his sobering speech he identified what he saw as Apple's remaining strategic assets. The foremost among them was the astonishingly loyal group of Macintosh users who, even in the worst of times, never abandoned the Mac platform. Apple had been ignoring those users, Jobs confessed, but he promised that all of that was about to change. The following year saw the introduction of the first iMac computer, Mac OS 8, and Apple fortunes finally began a journey towards an historic turnaround.

A decade later, I came home from work and woke my brand new iMac Core2Duo from sleep. As always, it's sprang to life in an instant, but today I had bad news for it, very bad news, and I really didn't know where to begin. With it's universally celebrated design, native Intel OS X Tiger operating system, iLife 06 software, and simply incredible performance via Intel's latest 64-bit dual core CPU technology, the Intel iMac had been showered with praise just a few months ago as a stunning technological achievement. It seemed like my new iMac had everything going for it, it's future looked very bright indeed. And, a decade after 1997, Steve Jobs once again took the stage for the Macworld conference keynote, but this time it was a different, successful, confident Apple than the one that existed in 1997. It was also a different Steve Jobs. It may have said Macworld on the outside, but inside, and on the keynote stage, it was all APPLEworld.

What could I possibly say to my new Intel iMac after this? I knew it was anxoius for word on all of the great new features of the forthcoming OS X Leopard. I knew it couldn't wait to see what it could do with the new iLife 07, or iWork 3, or maybe some brand new software no one ever imagined before that would give the new Intel iMac reason to shine even more in front of the watching world like it never had before. I decided that my iMac was a powerful machine after all, and I would just have to tell it like it is. I wouldn't attempt to sugar-coat today's story with superlatives like "It's the best thing Apple has ever done!" "Whooo!" "Boom!" "It's just amazing…it's like magic!" And sadly, there isn't going to be "one more thing…"

I spoke slowly and softly as I clicked my iMac's speech recognition control. Nothing about Leopard, I sighed, not a damn thing. And iLife 07? It wasn't even mentioned - or shown. iWork? Completely MIA too, I'm afraid. Next came the hard part: Looks like Steve Jobs has already found a new machine, a sort of swiss army knife-like iPod succesor called iPhone that, like all swiss army knife tech gadgets, tries to be a jack of all trades and master of none. It's hardly comparible in any way to the iMac's potential and power, I consoled, but nevertheless, even now it has it's very own tab on the front page of Apple.com. My iMac listened quielty as I continued, but I could sense it's sheer disbelief. When I mentioned that it's no longer Apple Computer anymore, just Apple, Inc., suddenly my iMac acted like it couldn't take anymore of this. Like the reliable, ever-vigilant guardian of it's security, it demanded my Administrator password, as if what I had told it couldn't be believed, must be some sort of ruse. Surely, it can't be true. It just can't be!

I typed in my Administrator password, and, like everytime I typed it in before, my iMac obediently and quietly accepted it. Except this time it was an strange kind of quiet, not even the fans could be stirred into action. The feeling of utter rejection and resignation permeated the room.

The screen shown as brightly as ever, and on the desktop I could see the Finder Mac icon smiling in it's usual place on the dock. But this time, it was more of a melancholy smile, kind of like a sad tragic clown whose better days have long since passed. I wanted to prove to my iMac that, to me, it was still the undisputed king of the technology kingdom, that it was far more superior to Apple's new, silly iPhone. Anything the iPhone could do, the Intel iMac could do the same and so much better. So I launched Front Row, pressed the iTunes icon, and set it to shuffle. And the music drifted from the speakers, in a true, fitting, dignified, way...

Now for ten years we’ve been on our own
And moss grows fat on a rollin’ stone,
But that’s not how it used to be.
When the jester sang for the king and queen,
In a coat he borrowed from james dean
And a voice that came from you and me...

Oh, and while the king was looking down,
The jester stole his thorny crown.
The courtroom was adjourned;
No verdict was returned.
And while lennon read a book of marx,
The quartet practiced in the park,
And we sang dirges in the dark
The day the music died.

We were singing,
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
Them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
And singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.
"this’ll be the day that I die."

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Wow - is this the dark Bob or sad Bob or what?

Excellent post but my perspective is that all of our Macs are simply getting new family members - more to celebrate and love.

Like many - I was surprised about the lack of Leopard update, iWork 07, iLife 07.

I guess we all will just have to stay tuned - I sense the future is bright.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Don't you think it is a good thing that they can have a 2 hour long speech and not even get around to mentioning all the things that people want to hear about? Personally it seems like the best situation to be in. There is probably going to be a lot more to come, we just need to wait.

Leopard, iWork, iLife, the new Pro apps (hopefully), new Mac Pro etc. Lots of stuff coming, and to be honest if they had mentioned everything in this speech they would not have enough time to really reflect on everything.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Transcript from MacWorld Keynote

[STEVE JOBS]
Money makes the world go around
The world go around
The world go around
Money makes the world go around
It makes the world go 'round.

A mark, a yen, a buck, or a pound
A buck or a pound
A buck or a pound
Is all that makes the world go around,
That clinking clanking sound
Can make the world go 'round.

[GIRLS]
Money money money money money money
Money money

[STEVE JOBS]
If you happen
To be rich,
[GIRLS]
.......Ooooh
[STEVE JOBS]
And you feel like a
Night's enetertainment,
[GIRLS]
...Money
[STEVE JOBS]
You can pay for a
Gay escapade.
[GIRLS]
Money money
Money money
Money money
Money money
[STEVE JOBS]
If you happen to
To be rich,
[GIRLS]
.......Ooooh
[STEVE JOBS]
And alone, and you
Need a companion
[GIRLS]
...Money
[STEVE JOBS]
You can ring-ting-
A-ling for the maid.
[STEVE JOBS]
If you happen
To be rich
[GIRLS]
.....Ooooh
[STEVE JOBS]
And you find you are
Left by your lover,
[GIRLS]
...Money
[STEVE JOBS]
Though you moan
And you groan
Quite a lot,
[GIRLS]
Money money
Money money
Money money
Money money
[STEVE JOBS]
You can take it
On the chin,
[GIRLS]
.....Ooooh
[STEVE JOBS]
Call a cab,
And begin
[GIRLS]
...Money
[STEVE JOBS]
To recover
On your fourteen-
Carat yacht.

[STEVE JOBS]
Money makes the world go around,
The world go around,
The world go around,
Money makes the world go around,
Of that we can be sure.
(....) on being poor.

[ALL]
Money money money-
money money money
Money money money-
money money money

[DANCE BREAK]

[STEVE JOBS AND GIRLS (In Canon)]
If you haven't any coal in the stove
And you freeze in the winter
And you curse on the wind
At your fate
When you haven't any shoes
On your feet
And your coat's thin as paper
And you look thirty pounds
Underweight.
When you go to get a word of advice
From the fat little pastor
He will tell you to love evermore.
But when hunger comes a rap,
Rat-a-tat, rat-a-tat at the window...

[GIRLS]
At the window...

[STEVE JOBS (spoken)]
Who's there?

[GIRLS (spoken)]
Hunger!

[STEVE JOBS (Spoken)]
Ooh, hunger!

See how love flies out the door...
For

[STEVE JOBS]
Money makes
The world...
[GIRLS]
...Go around
[STEVE JOBS]
The world...
[GIRLS]
...Go around
[STEVE JOBS]
The world...
[GIRLS]
...Go around
[STEVE JOBS]
Money makes the
.... Go around
[GIRLS]
...Go around

That clinking
Clanking sound of

[STEVE JOBS]
Get a little,
[GIRLS]
Money money
[STEVE JOBS]
Get a little,
[GIRLS]
Money money
[STEVE JOBS]
Money money
[GIRLS]
Money money
[STEVE JOBS]
Money money
[GIRLS]
Money money

[STEVE JOBS]
Mark, a yen, a buck
[GIRLS]
Get a little
[STEVE JOBS]
Or a pound
[GIRLS]
Get a little
[STEVE JOBS]
That clinking clanking
[GIRLS]
Get a little
Get a little

[STEVE JOBS]
Clinking sound

[GIRLS]
Money money
Money money...

[STEVE JOBS]
Is all that makes
The world go 'round

[GIRLS]
Money money
Money money

It makes the world go round!

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
that was a sad read, and i certainly felt sad when apple computer, inc became apple, inc... it's sad that macintosh is no longer the focus, as in my heart, macintosh is still what's apple all about, everything else is accessory.

now apple's just like any other tech company, money driven, no longer loyal consumer driven... sure we like nicer ipod, better phone, this and that, but we don't want apple to move its focus away from computer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.