Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010

jasonsmith_88

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2016
BTW, I believe in CC its been happening every year for the past 6,000 years.

Yeah, but it’s happening exponentially faster at the moment due to greenhouse gas emissions. We understand very well how greenhouse gasses work, so this is a fact - choosing not to believe doesn’t make it any less true.

Here’s a neat visualisation to depict how much faster the temperature is changing due to human activity https://xkcd.com/1732/

Be careful though, you wouldn’t want to let a pesky fact get in the way of your misinformed opinion.

Starscape

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Florida and New York
How about they make those disposable AirPods repairable so users can replace the batteries when they wear out instead of sending them to the landfill? Oh wait, that means people won't need to get a new set every 2-3 years. Scratch that idea.

Vazor

macrumors regular
May 7, 2020
What are you expecting? That the effects of climate changes will happen overnight? And it’s untrue that nothing happens, we already see the effects of global warming.

I don‘t know what is MR moderation policy towards conspiration theories, but something needs to be done
So typical, if someone does not agree with you it’s a ‘conspiration theory’.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
All these words when all they’re really saying is “Apple is paying HSBC to pay people to plant trees.”

You may remember HSBC from their multi-billion cocaine money laundering scheme. They definitely love plants…

Last edited:

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
You present that like I stated an opinion. I invite you to do a bit more research about what science is, it might help you understand that it is backed by evidence. I know it’s a big word, but I’m sure you can try!
You effectively called on the moderators to silence someone for posting that they disagreed with Apple doing this!
So much 'science' in shouting down others. It would fit in nicely shouting down early astronomers' claims that the Earth was not the center of the universe.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
You effectively called on the moderators to silence someone for posting that they disagreed with Apple doing this!
So much 'science' in shouting down others. It would fit in nicely shouting down early astronomers' claims that the Earth was not the center of the universe.
it seems like you could also use some extra education. I didn’t call moderators to silence someone because of their opinion on apple’s initiative. This person was saying that climate change is not real, that nothing happens. The debate around apple’s initiative should be the main discussion of this thread, but for some reason, this person wants to debate the whole science behind climate change. And i think this is not the place to discuss conspiracy theories.

read more carefully next time!

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Archive.org has a saved version of the page, climate change is real my conspiracy theory loving dude, whether you want to believe it or not, and folks making the arguments you are are basing your arguments on false assumptions (you are, in fact, literally begging the question)
I wish I could in-turn call you names, but I would get a suspension, so I'll take the high ground. The climate has been changing since the dawn of time. There is nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

You can turn the sun down. You can turn the sun up. You can't stop the earth's wobble. You can make the earth have a consistent orbit around the sun. You can't stop volcano's. You can't stop storms. You can't control nature.

it seems like you could also use some extra education. I didn’t call moderators to silence someone because of their opinion on apple’s initiative. This person was saying that climate change is not real, that nothing happens. The debate around apple’s initiative should be the main discussion of this thread, but for some reason, this person wants to debate the whole science behind climate change. And i think this is not the place to discuss conspiracy theories.

"I don‘t know what is MR moderation policy towards conspiration theories, but something needs to be done" 🙄

What is it then that you suggest to "be done"?

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
I'm open to the idea that increasing atmospheric concentrations of CO2 from 280 ppm in the early 1800s to 410 ppm in the 2020's will affect many things.

But if that amount is the problem, then removing less than one hundredth of one percent of *this year's* total CO2 emissions (> 37 billion metric tons) will not make any difference. Nor would removing 10 times as much. Or 100 times as much. Nor 1000 times as much.

This approach is manifestly inefficacious. All actions have costs and trade-offs, and we can't just "do stuff" no matter the cost and no matter the benefit. This is 100% PR greenwashing, except for the part that funnels 200 million dollars to those with enough connections to get 'em.

Reactions: fdw777 and Razorpit

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009

Off to the reeducation camp for me!! :rolleyes:

Please don't tell me to read more carefully when you can't even comprehend simple English. Let me quote the original post where I highlight their "debate around Apple's initiative", followed by your call for silence:

All this to just say they done something, if climate change is someone’s worry in life then your living a good life, the world is fine, every time they say something is happening guess what nothing ever happens, apple stop with this progressive nonsense we all know you just do this for good PR

What are you expecting? That the effects of climate changes will happen overnight? And it’s untrue that nothing happens, we already see the effects of global warming.

I don‘t know what is MR moderation policy towards conspiration theories, but something needs to be done

I find my reading ability to be quite fine.

Reactions: zevrix and Razorpit

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Off to the reeducation camp for me!! :rolleyes:

Please don't tell me to read more carefully when you can't even comprehend simple English. Let me quote the original post where I highlight their "debate around Apple's initiative", followed by your call for silence:

I find my reading ability to be quite fine.

Except you weirdly leave out the exact sentence I was talking about:

All this to just say they done something, if climate change is someone’s worry in life then your living a good life, the world is fine, every time they say something is happening guess what nothing ever happens, apple stop with this progressive nonsense we all know you just do this for good PR
I don’t know what else you need to see that this guy is pretending climate change is not happening. To be fair, I think your reading capabilities are fine, because you clearly avoid on purpose certain sentences. My apologies, the issue with you is not your reading skills, it is elsewhere!

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Except you weirdly leave out the exact sentence I was talking about:

I don’t know what else you need to see that this guy is pretending climate change is not happening. To be fair, I think your reading capabilities are fine, because you clearly avoid on purpose certain sentences. My apologies, the issue with you is not your reading skills, it is elsewhere!
I didn't leave it out. Full quotes. No deletion or silencing or calls for censorship. I'm not a communist.
You don't like that someone doesn't think exactly like you and won't submit to what "the smart people" think should be done.

Reactions: Razorpit

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Yeah, but it’s happening exponentially faster at the moment due to greenhouse gas emissions. We understand very well how greenhouse gasses work, so this is a fact - choosing not to believe doesn’t make it any less true.

Here’s a neat visualisation to depict how much faster the temperature is changing due to human activity https://xkcd.com/1732/

Be careful though, you wouldn’t want to let a pesky fact get in the way of your misinformed opinion.

I’ve seen that visualization before, it shows very well how we have contributed to changing the climate at a rate never seen before.

What most amazing, is that no matter evidence is shown to some people they refuse to accept facts because they’ve been told not to believe in facts by their favorite media personalities and politicians.

We’ve seen just in the past couple of years the largest rivers on Earth on almost all continents drying up, with intense drought and heat waves causing massive crop loss, leading to higher food prices. And we haven’t seen anything yet, it’s going to keep getting hotter, and things are going to get worse.

It’s not just about heat, or food prices either, tropical diseases are already migrating away from the equator, and viruses and fungus are mutating to survive higher temperatures. Along with that there are ancient viruses locked away in ice caps that are now melting, we could unleash something that makes COVID look like a walk in the park.

Trees, insects, mammals, all dying off across the world, the deniers will deny it until the last human is left on Earth. It’s no coincidence that it’s usually the same people who are very religious, and think Donald Trump has never told a lie, it’s a full blown cult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.