Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilverLight300

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2016
Hi dear members,
Some days ago i lost my wi-fi -> It was disabled & grayed.
My phone is iphone 4s with ios 7.
I restored my phone to ios 9.3.2 = Latest version.
And reset every thing in the phone after upgrade.
But grayed wi-fi is still there.
So i followed Troubleshooting 4 in the link below :
http://www.etradesupply.com/blog/how-to-solve-iphone-4s-wifi-issues-on-ios7/
That link tell us about temperature of wi-fi radio.
So i turned my iphone off & put it in refrigerator for ten minutes and after that i turned it on again.
Now it seems wi-fi is enable and works.
After some minutes i lost it again and it went to disable mode again.
How can i fix this issue by myself?
I act like this link :
[doublepost=1464772563][/doublepost]How can i figure out this issue is a software problem or hardware problem?
Is there any tools to check & test wi-fi radio cheap(check temperature and etc)

SilverLight300

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2016
At last i am certainly sure this issue is about temperature of w-fi radio. How can i fix it?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, it seems firstly clear that it's hardware related. Seems like fixing would be replacing the WiFi module (and perhaps anything else that might be related to that)--not sure that's something that is self-repairable or really even if Apple goes for repairs like that (vs. essentially just offering a replacement for a fee or under AppleCare if it still applies).

Reactions: Applejuiced

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Well, it seems firstly clear that it's hardware related. Seems like fixing would be replacing the WiFi module (and perhaps anything else that might be related to that)--not sure that's something that is self-repairable or really even if Apple goes for repairs like that (vs. essentially just offering a replacement for a fee or under AppleCare if it still applies).
While AC+ still technically possible (4S stopped being sold in September 2014), can you imagine being an Apple "Genius" and a guy walks in with a 4S that's covered? I'd crack up.

SilverLight300

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2016
If i open the back cover can i do anything?
Is there any windows or ios application to check and find the real problem?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Having looked at the above videos it sounds like all you need is the loudspeaker and wifi antenna module to replace it with. That should be a relatively straight forward fix. The 4 and 4s were some of the most easily seri cable iPhones to date IMO.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i work in IT in a place that had hundreds of 4S out in the business. we had this at least 40 times.We tried everything, heating, freezing etc. all worked for a short time, but eventually would break again. We even paid a local company to "fix" them and most of the issues returned within 3 months... basically we replaced them all as it seems to be an issue, all fixes i found were temporary.

SilverLight300

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2016
Take a look at this link :
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Fix+iPhone+4S+Wi-Fi+Grayed+Out/22167
As "anubis1980" said heating & freezing jobs are useful for a short time & temporary & this is right.
Because i did that 3 times and finally could ungrayed wi-fi icon, but after connect to my wireless router and trying to open a web page iphone was freezed and i lost wi-fi again.

I need to ask a question!
Is it possible this issue be in relation with Apple-ID and somehow they disabled wi-fi icon?

At last what should i do?
Should i find a place and buy that board and replace it by myself?
Should i try heat - freeze again by refering to a local company?
Should i tell that local company to prevent heat - freeze?

I think in my area there are no iphone 4s stuffs.
So is it possible to use a wi-fi chip from newer phones or use a board from newer ones?

Thanks in advance

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Take a look at this link :
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Fix+iPhone+4S+Wi-Fi+Grayed+Out/22167
As "anubis1980" said heating & freezing jobs are useful for a short time & temporary & this is right.
Because i did that 3 times and finally could ungrayed wi-fi icon, but after connect to my wireless router and trying to open a web page iphone was freezed and i lost wi-fi again.

I need to ask a question!
Is it possible this issue be in relation with Apple-ID and somehow they disabled wi-fi icon?

At last what should i do?
Should i find a place and buy that board and replace it by myself?
Should i try heat - freeze again by refering to a local company?
Should i tell that local company to prevent heat - freeze?

I think in my area there are no iphone 4s stuffs.
So is it possible to use a wi-fi chip from newer phones or use a board from newer ones?

Thanks in advance

I know with the company we used who replaced the boards (or so they told us) some worked, some didn't, most failed again so not sure if they were using inferior parts or just heating them and telling us they had replaced the parts. We did find it tended to happen a lot when people upgraded to the latest OS, not sure if the part failed an IOS check so shut down/disabled or if this is just a coincidence.

to be honest, if you can do it yourself, it would be cheaper and at least you know you have done it rather than relying on an external company who may just heat it.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Might downgrade ios version be helpful?

No afaik this is a hardware issue, can be caused (on ours anyway) by updating/downgrading, not sure if IOS tests hardware whilst doing this and fails, or if it stresses components, but i doubt doing that will work. You will only be able to downgrade to 9.3.1 anyway i believe , if apple are still signing it.

SilverLight300

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2016
You are right...
This forum is awesome and i should say appreciate to it's moderator(s).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.