Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Re: Alex Ant, see the WHOLE board

Assuming the iCam isn't already in development, it wouldn't really take Nikon any longer to pick up a Foveon sensor than it would take Apple, would it? Even if Apple had a 6 or 12 month head start over their major competitors, (to repeat what I've been saying) that advantage would last exactly 6-12 months and no longer. A good amount of time to make a quick opportunistic buck, but not enough time around which to base a long-term business plan.
And yes the cameras you listed are nice cameras but we're not comparing apples to apples (if you'll excuse the pun). ... Now I'm sure you'll say that the Canon isn't going to remain stagnant at those specifications, but NEITHER WILL THE iCam. The iPod now has 4 times the storage of what it was introduced with.

I know the iCam won't sit still either, but my point in mentioning the ever-growing sizes and ever-dropping prices of CF cards was to note that digicam storage is now so plentiful and cheap that, with $100 spent on a flash card, most people are really no longer concerned with how many pics their camera can store. They can go hog wild snap-crazy and still find that their card is only 75% full (if they delete the pics they don't want to keep as they go). In the coming months/years, people will feel less and less inhibited by flash card size. I cringe at the thought of a full-blown image browsing interface on the iCam's little OLED display. If having a "portable photo album" is the big benefit of the hard drive, well, I've got an iBook for that, running great image browsing software with much higher display resolution.

As the iPod demonstrates, it's not a given that a consumer electronics device with Firewire will spur competitors to implement Firewire on their own devices. So I can perhaps see Firewire being an advantage of the iCam for as long as it takes for USB2 cameras to start showing up. Yeah I know Firewire is better, but we have to keep in mind that this is just a picture-downloading interface. Not one of a camera's primary features or selling points.
OLED. Same arguement. Yes everyone will have it eventually, but they don't have it NOW, and I sincerely doubt they will see universal adoption in 4 months.

But you think an iCam in 4 months is likely? :)
"The reason iPod imitators don't lessen the value of the iPod is that none of the iPod imitators are able to match the total package of the iPod." YOU'RE SINGING TO THE CHOIR HERE!

I probably am! My point though was to illustrate the differences between the MP3 player and digital camera markets and show how success in one doesn't necessarily carry over to success in the other. As for why - I think I explained that pretty clearly in my last post.
The rules of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth usage have been around for years, but nobody else seems to have the vision to take advantage of them.

I don't know if it's lack of vision or lack of ambition. Personally, if I had a choice between a camera with USB and a camera that with on-board 802.11 or Bluetooth that cost $50 more, I would get the USB camera, because it would offer faster transfers with better compatibility (a minority of computers have wireless capability). Maybe the reason Canon doesn't put Bluetooth in their cameras is because they realize it would be very slow at transferring and it wouldn't really be very popular? Maybe the reason they don't put WiFi in their cameras is because it's more important for them to be less expensive, and their customers aren't really clamoring for it anyway.
My idea is that this camera would cost no more than $1000. We can argue about relative value all night, but as I said last post, people will pay more for a quality demonstrably better product.

Here's the deal: If it could be contractually ensured that Apple would be the only user of Foveon sensors in the <$1500 digicam market for the next 2-3 years, I would say an iCam would be a great idea. The problem is, I don't think that's very likely. A digicam's photosensor is the single most important component of that camera, more important than even the lens. It's what makes a digicam a digicam, and if Apple were to enter this market, I would want them to have a fundamental advantage here - not a handful of relatively insignificant temporary advantages with supplementary technologies like the Firewire interface, the OLED display, Bluetooth, etc.

I do think that an iCam as we've outlined it would be a smash hit if it were released tomorrow - but not for very long. The competition is too manic. It is in Foveon's best interests to get their sensors into as many cameras as possible. Unless a superior technology comes along, it could be thought of as inevitable that this will happen. The question then becomes "by when," and I'm not sure I would want Apple to bet its future success on the answer to that question.

To counter this, though, I also think an Apple-branded washing machine could be very successful. I think Apple could take advantage of a design process similar to that used in the iPod which that article you supplied touched on, and I think the final product could end up competing favorably with the likes of Maytag and Whirlpool. Who knows, maybe they could come upon a new motor technology that used only half the energy of a conventional washing machine with half the soap requirements. Even having said all this, I'm not sure I would want to see an Apple-branded washing machine, even if it could be highly profitable. I realize washing machines aren't digital cameras - I'm just trying to find a way to creatively say that I hope if Apple decides to stray this far from the Macintosh, they know what they're doing. (I was undecided in the iPod debate, but in retrospect it was a great idea.)
A fair point in some respects, but I'll use your Foveon arguement: once the general public recognizes the value of something and gets on the bandwagon, the companies have no choice but to follow.

If only the RIAA thought like this! :) They obviously recognize the market's demand for digital music, but for some reason, instead of capitalizing off it, they're ****ting themselves trying to capitalize off DRM-controlled music, pay-per-download music, pay-per-listen music... anything they can control. And mostly failing. (Their products tend to play MP3 only to the extent that they have to in order to stay competitive.) They don't make an iPod-like DRM device because... actually, I'm not sure why they don't. Sony has a $299 "Network Walkman," but it uses memory sticks. Maybe it has something to do with their competitor Toshiba being the only supplier of 1.8" hard drives. (As for why Toshiba doesn't make one - I'm not sure of that either, but I don't believe they are in the portable audio market.)

I think if MP3 were not MP3, if it were some secure format like WMA owned and controlled and promoted by RIAA member companies, and Apple had come along with the iPod which played only this and other secure formats, Apple would have gotten clobbered by Sony et al, in whose best interests it would have been to make portable devices to play this format. Right now, Apple's market position here is very unique. I think Sony could make a better iPod than the iPod if they wanted to (assuming they could strike a deal with Toshiba for its portable drives).

In summary: I think the success of the iCam would hinge mostly upon the Foveon sensor and who else would have it in their cameras. I don't think integration and simplicity (Apple's forté) would be as big of a plus as with the iPod. We've debated this pretty thoroughly, so I think that if I haven't swayed you yet, we'll have to agree to disagree.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Apple Camera

Originally posted by doddsk
Panasonic's High Definition cameras fit a full 60 progressive frames/second of 1200 x 720 video into a 100mbps signal on tape. If you cut that down to 24 frames (film rate) its only 40 mbps. Now if you double the resolution (2400 x 1440) you're at 80 mbps.

Just wanted to point out that you just quadrupled the resolution, not doubled it. You now have 160Mbps. To double 1024x768 (786k pixels) you can go up to 1450x1085 (1,573k pixels). That's a bit less than the 2MP of Star Wars II.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: reply to alex-ant

Originally posted by doddsk

When my dad asks me if he should buy a digital still camera, I tell him no. He can't believe a gear geek like me would tell him to stick with film for the time being. My reasoning? When he is on vacation and his 64 meg card runs out of space, he is screwed. If he wants more pictures he has to spend BIG dollars for another card that buys him only a few more pictures. With film he spends $3 dollars for another roll at ANY corner store anywhere in the world. But: if he spent a little more upfront for his Apple digital camera, (about the same amount more he would have had to spend for an extra card with a regular Digital camera) he would have a camera that takes the equivalent of dozens of rolls of film, more than he would ever use before he is able to archive and start again.

Huh?

First of all, I regularly see CF cards at around $0.50/MB (ie, 128MB for $60 or so), and fairly often much less (I shopped around and got a 128MB for $30 about six months back). Given that a 3MP camera uses about 1MB/picture (at least, my Kodak DC4800 does), that's 128 pictures for about $0.50 each, even if you throw out the card after using it once. Compared to film prices (where I wouldn't dare buy an unknown brand because quality differences can really screw your pictures up) of $0.10/frame for film and $0.06/frame for processing (even for the pictures you immediately toss in the trash!), you only need to fill the CF card up four times to make it cheaper than film!

Here's a 512MB card for $169 ... a steal if you ask me!

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/meritline/51comcf512mb.html

If your dad regularly takes (and keeps) more than 14 rolls of film at a time (512 pictures == 14 rolls of 36-exposure film), then perhaps he should buy an "offline storage" device that accepts a CF card, downloads everything to a small hard drive (20-40GB), then erases the CF card so it can be used again. I believe these are around $300-400, but if it's a real need then he'd also be saving at least that much in switching from film to digital anyways.

(examples:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/usbdiscount/superdi20.html for USB only, or spend more:
http://r2.us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http...s/cc/rmivars?target=_top?pcd=4751675&ccsyn=15 for FireWire
)

Add to that the fact that most digicam users I know end up taking more pictures "in the field", then prune their collection in down time to get rid of the "not quite there" shots and such, and I tend to end up with a better collection of pictures coming off a single 128MB card half-filled than my friends with 35mm cameras achieve on several rolls of film.

In my experience, memory card space is hardly an issue at all for digital cameras anymore. Managing multiple hundreds of pictures using a 2" LCD and funky controls is not something I'd wish on my worst enemy!

And, of course, as has already been mentioned, if you buy an IBM micro drive, you have a much larger "memory card" in an existing (CF Type-II) camera. I don't see a huge advantage in offering a 20GB digicam drive-only model versus a 1GB option on a CF digicam, as anything more than 300MB of space is relatively unmanagable. Granted, Apple could work magic on the interface (or hire an outside firm to do it as with the iPod), but that is a minor bit of the overall camera.

When I go looking for a digital camera, I look for:

1) Quality of picture

2) "Manual Override" flexibility

3) Memory card format that fits with my existing cards if possible (much less an issue now than a few years back)

4) Ease of use (point/click mode, easy to us manual settings, bright/clear LCD display that can be turned off and doesn't end up with an imprint of my nose when I use the viewfinder)

5) Shutter lag

6) Frame-to-frame lag (burst and sustained)

I'm a no-frills kind of guy with cameras, so I completely ignore "movie-mode" features ... I'd much rather just use a real videocamera. I also completely ignore any packaged software and "starter kit" gimmicks like photo paper I already have. Connections? Well, USB is pretty much the only option out there, though I'd spend money to get FireWire instead ... but not if any of the above conditions were compromised to get FireWire!

matznentosh

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2002
Let's not forget that the Foveon is not yet a product. Neither are OLED screens. Guessing what their actual resolution/utility/value will be is just that - a guess. They may be worthless and never see the light of day.

matznentosh

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2002
Oh, here's a quote from Steve's Digicam review of the Sigma:

"In most cases the SD9's images are amazingly sharp and defined with very good color rendition. In fact, they're some of the most sharpest images I've ever seen from a camera with a 3.4 megapixel sensor. Most of this is due to the fact that the Foveon sensor does not employ an anti-aliasing filter which tends to blur fine details. On the flip side, when examined at 200% (or greater) there are lines or curves that exhibit prominent stair- stepping (jaggies.) Red colored objects can be oversaturated at times to the point that they look to be painted in. There is an abundance of red channel noise visible in all images. More than a few of my sample images have unnatural and over-saturated blue skies. We've also seen chromatic aberrations (purple fringing) on contrasting highlight areas. There seems to be less than half a stop of exposure latitude before highlights get "blown out." Long exposures are problematic to the point that shutter speeds slower than one second are not even available at ISO 200 or 400. Long exposures (beyond 2 seconds) at ISO 100 lose sharpness and color saturation, possibly due to the effects of an undocumented noise reduction process. "

So as I said, this is a new technology that may or may not be better than current systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.