Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hello, I’m a bit confused. What’s the difference between the Apple payment plan and the upgrade program? Do I need to have the apple card for the apple payment plan?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Apple Payment Plan is a 24month plan with no option to upgrade yearly and does not include AppleCare+. IUP has the option to return the phone after 12 months, have the balance forgiven and includes AC+.

Reactions: 4sallypat

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Apple Payment Plan is a 24month plan with no option to upgrade yearly and does not include AppleCare+. IUP has the option to return the phone after 12 months, have the balance forgiven and includes AC+.

Oh so Neither one of these plans have anything to do with the Apple Card, correct?

Thank you!

Sanders83

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
I took out the iPhone Payment Plan last year, for a 256GB XS. It was payment over 20 months and i’ve paid 12 months so far. I can sell it on Envirofone for £160 more than i’ve left to pay on it. So i think this has worked out pretty well.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Hello, I’m a bit confused. What’s the difference between the Apple payment plan and the upgrade program? Do I need to have the apple card for the apple payment plan?

The difference between the two is that if you do the Apple payment plan, you are stuck with the device for 2 years or until it's paid off. The iUP, still 24 month payment but this one allows you to upgrade after making 12 payments for a new device to start on iup again. Do you do not need Apple Card for this.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
The difference between the two is that if you do the Apple payment plan, you are stuck with the device for 2 years or until it's paid off. The iUP, still 24 month payment but this one allows you to upgrade after making 12 payments for a new device to start on iup again. Do you do not need Apple Card for this.

Not only that but I think with the IUP program you could also upgrade after 6 months if you're willing to pay the remaining 6 months off immediately.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
You can upgrade under IUP once Citizen has received 12 payments.
You surrender your phone and purchase a new one under a new IUP plan
The second year of the original Apple care contract is canceled and
A new one is issued against the new phone.

if you make all 24 payments to Citizen the loan is canceled and the phone is yours to keep.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Is it possible to be pre approved for the Apple Payment program like the Iphone Upgrade program? Or do i have to wait to do it on preorder day?

***EDIT***

Just saw the option on the iPhone app. However i'm still wondering is it possible to do payments without a carrier. I have a MVNO and non of the major carriers.

Last edited:

Sanders83

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014

The iPhone payment plan is 20months. I think it’s great, as i can sell mine to Envirofone for £590, while i’ve only got £430 left to pay. I can payoff the last 6 months and still be left with £160, plus get the new phone; thus starting over again.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
Can you trade in a phone towards the total of amount due for the Apple Upgrade Program? That’s an option for preapproval but not the upgrade program when I’m on the Apple Store app.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
IUP is 20 months isn’t it not 24

It's 24 Months in the U.S

The iPhone payment plan is 20months. I think it’s great, as i can sell mine to Envirofone for £590, while i’ve only got £430 left to pay. I can payoff the last 6 months and still be left with £160, plus get the new phone; thus starting over again.

Well you may be correct for UK, but in the US it's 24 months. But as long as you make 12 payments you can upgrade.

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 6.57.39 AM.png

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
If you are in the IUP for last 12 months and decide to wait say 6 months more to upgrade can you do that or is the only window to upgrade through IUP now? Thanks

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If you are in the IUP for last 12 months and decide to wait say 6 months more to upgrade can you do that or is the only window to upgrade through IUP now? Thanks

You can upgrade at any time until the phone's paid off, but every payment after the 12th is effectively handing Apple extra cash for the new phone.
[doublepost=1568203970][/doublepost]
IUP is 20 months isn’t it not 24

24 months in the U.S., not 20.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Is it possible to be pre approved for the Apple Payment program like the Iphone Upgrade program? Or do i have to wait to do it on preorder day?

***EDIT***

Just saw the option on the iPhone app. However i'm still wondering is it possible to do payments without a carrier. I have a MVNO and non of the major carriers.

YES - you can go to the Apple Store on your iPhone right now and get a pre-approval done.
Pre-approval is a great way to bypass the purchase delay while under pressure choosing your phone at 5am in the morning.

I did that yesterday right after the keynote presentation.

The pre-approval thru Apple is really thru Citizen's One Loan bank.

They will do a credit pull (unless you are an existing IUP member) from Equifax.

After pre-approval, you are told you can still change the model, color, storage on the pre-order day.
You will have 3 days after the pre-order window opens in order to place an order. After that, you will have to re-apply.

On pre-order day, you can go back to the Apple Store and place your order knowing that the financing part is done ahead of time.

Here's my pre-approval - I chose the yellow 11 but I am still thinking about it....
UDywm0.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.