Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ipaqman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
hey everyone,

i just got a new ipod photo, and i wanted to know if the apple case included scratches the ipod when you take it in and out. does anyone use the included case? does it scratch at all? also, because the photo ipod's are bigger than the regular ones, does it scratch even more, because it is tighter.

i hope you can help me with this.

thanks for your help,
ipaqman

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
I use the genuine Apple case, and have had no troubles with scratching etc. I like the look of the iPod in the case, and when walking it is more slim-line than some others I have seen on the market, and it is more sturdy. My iPod has had more scratched received on it from being held in my hands then being placed and re-placed in the case numerous times.

toezter

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
scratches will probly be caused by debris (mainly sand) that will get between the ipod and the case. thus causing it to scratch. scratches can always be "removed" with proper solution (forgot what it was called).

i used to have the incase ipod case. it allowed me to access the bottons while the pod was in the case. i didn't like that, so i sold it and got the apple one. looks less "revealing" ;)

its nice that its tight, since it won't jump or wiggle out on you. my 10gig is just good enough to stay put, but will wiggle out at times. just make sure your case is clean on the inside, since it debris will accumilate wherever it may be.

all in all, you should be fine.

Ipaqman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
if i keep the ipod in the apple case and then put the apple case with the ipod in it into a sunglass case, will debree still get into the case and scratch the ipod. also, if it get's scratched will brasso remove it?

thanks,
ipaqman

toezter

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
"nothing stays gold forever" - The Outsiders . forgot who said that exactly.

if you don't want scratches on your ipod, best thing to do is to keep it in the original box. you may not be able to listen to it, but you won't have scratches non the less :)

don't worry about.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
In all honesty, don't expect these iPods to be scratch-resistant or fingerprint-proof. Fingerprints and other oil residue can be cleaned off easily with something like a lens cleaner.

However, if you get scratches on your iPod, don't fret. The only time I would worry about an iPod getting scratched up is if you want to sell it. At that point, purchase the iPod Cleaner listed above or Ice Cream or other cleaning kits. iCleaner appears to make the best from what I've heard.

The only part of the iPod that will suffer greatly from scratches is the metal backing. Your screen will be most likely fine. And the only time you'll notice the scratches are in really bright lighting.

crazyipod

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2004
Check out Pod Shields they rock.

I am not really one for the big clunky cases. Pod Shields are little clear plastic things that stick to your iPod. They prob describe what they do more clearly on the website. Bottom line is they stop scratches and fingerprints. I have one one my iPod and you cant even see it. www.TrendyGeek.com

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Go to this website:

http://www.powerdesignusa.com/products/ipod/index.php

By a clear cover for your iPod and put it on the iPod......and then use any case you want, or none at all. I've been using these since my 2G 20GB b/c my 1G 5GB and 2G 10GB iPods got pretty scratched up, even with the Apple case. The above mentioned iPod cover will stick onto your iPod (though it's a steady-hand process) and will protect it from scratching.....and when the clear cover gets scratched up, simply replace it with another. They are easy to peel off and leave no residue. Though I would recommend cleaning your iPod when you take them off. They do not increase the size of your iPod so you can use whatever other cases you want to use. They allow you to have your iPod with you to be seen in its natural glory without scratching it.
The only drawback, it takes about 2 weeks to get these once you order them.
They are great. I have yet to buy a case for my iPod Photo b/c I have one of these on it.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Price of case

Since we're on the topic of Apple's iPod case, why does it cost $40? I mean that seems a tad bit high for that case. I mean, its a really nice case and all, but $40 nice? I could see maybe $20 ~ $25, maybe, but $40? What makes the case cost $40? Am I the only one that thinks this? :confused: :p

btw: I do have that case :D :cool:

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
tech4all said:
Since we're on the topic of Apple's iPod case, why does it cost $40? I mean that seems a tad bit high for that case. I mean, its a really nice case and all, but $40 nice? I could see maybe $20 ~ $25, maybe, but $40? What makes the case cost $40? Am I the only one that thinks this? :confused: :p

btw: I do have that case :D :cool:

It's durable. I used it pretty much everyday for 18 months, in various bags and coat pockets, and it still looks fine. I have had no issues with scratches. I prefer it to a skin or cover because when you use it, I think an uncovered iPod looks way better than a covered one. Also many skins don't protect the wheel.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
You sound like me. I got my new iPod yesterday, but my skin won't get here until tomorrow, so I've been using latex gloves to handle it and I've placed the unit on tissues on my desk and it hasn't left my bedroom. Yet again, I do have OCD.

stump

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2003
Maine
Ipod case for workouts?

Nice reviews and links. However, any suggestions for a case that will work well for workouts and exercise such as skiing, jogging, biking etc.? I would think a good case would provide protection plus some kind of waist band or arm band although the arm band idea may not work well for the full size Ipods. I worry about the clips bouncing off.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
stump said:
Nice reviews and links. However, any suggestions for a case that will work well for workouts and exercise such as skiing, jogging, biking etc.? I would think a good case would provide protection plus some kind of waist band or arm band although the arm band idea may not work well for the full size Ipods. I worry about the clips bouncing off.

I have the MarWare SportSuit Convertible for my 3G 20 GB iPod, and I find it works great. The case is really good quality, it securely protects the iPod and is a really snug fit. There are great grips on the side and the belt clip is good - nothing special (I would perform an intense stress test on it!) but it definitely works well when I'm jogging. If you don't like the belt clip, you can buy others too, as well as clips for your bike frame, etc. It also comes with an armband which I use a fair bit, and it's very sturdy - I find that it holds the iPod nice and snug to my arm. Lastly, it has a nice "convertible top", which is removable, to add further protection to the iPod as well as some storage space for headphones, whatever.

My only negative comments would be that my Monster wireless car adaptor doesn't fit quite properly through the dock hole in the bottom of the MarWare case. The dock cable works fine (you cannot sit the iPod in the dock itself when it's in the case), but my Monster cable is just a bit too thick so I had to stretch out the case a little.

All in all though, I have found it to be an excellent case, and for what you get and the quality, it's of excellent value.

That's my review and recommendation at least... :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.