Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
It’s not ridiculous to want privacy and not share passwords.

HomeKit solution will most likely end up in with a home reset or you traveling, smoke.
It isn’t. However, it is slightly ridiculous when it would perfectly solve his dire problem. Additionally, it isn’t like he is giving the password to a total stranger. It is his girlfriend living in his house. If she really wanted to screw him over, she already has that capability.

One wonders if there is a reason he doesn’t want her to have it… 🤔

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
It isn’t. However, it is slightly ridiculous when it would perfectly solve his dire problem. Additionally, it isn’t like he is giving the password to a total stranger. It is his girlfriend living in his house. If she really wanted to screw him over, she already has that capability.

I mean, this is the same OP that thought it was a good idea to run the optional HomeKit architecture update from another country.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I mean, this is the same OP that thought it was a good idea to run the optional HomeKit architecture update from another country.
I mean, you are not wrong. But I have sympathy for the OP in this. I try everything all the time as soon as I can. LOL. I just make sure to use any and all solutions that come my way to rectify the situation.

Reactions: Sikh

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I was actually trying to only update my London home, but guess what, it updates all homes at once...
That seems like a no-win situation. If you had waited to return to the US, you would be stuck upgrading the London home remotely instead. I don't see how a user with multiple HomeKit Homes in separate physical locations gets around that.

To the original problem: Has the GF tried power cycling all WiFi APs? Or are you saying she's physically locked out of the building due to HomeKit smart locks being the only way in? If so, that's a problem...

Reactions: okkibs and Sikh

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008

One doesn't wonder. One is pretty damn sure :p

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I'm not trying to be coy, but there is an expectation that the home owner lives in his home. I get what you're saying, and it sucks that the update is all borked but there is reasons why apple wants to protect the homekit setup. I mean if anyone can and/remove items without the home owners password - that represents a significant vulnerability that people could easily take advantage of
So, HomeKit is only for people who never go on longer travels and leave their families at home? I don't think that is what Apple wants us to believe. Why is remote control not possible in the age of Internet? You'll always need psysical access to devices?

• Haha
Reactions: Sikh

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
So, HomeKit is only for people who never go on longer travels and leave their families at home? I don't think that is what Apple wants us to believe. Why is remote control not possible in the age of Internet? You'll always need psysical access to devices?
Remote control is possible. Just not system-wide upgrades that involve this level of change. But yes, Homekit is a little crazy.

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
It’s not ridiculous to want privacy and not share passwords.

HomeKit solution will most likely end up in with a home reset or you traveling, smoke.
If you’re going to retain control over the HomeKit stuff in a house someone else lives in on the other side of the of the planet then you should be prepared to share a password temporarily.

Also, anyone not willing to share a password with their significant other should reconsider their relationship. You’re partners for a reason.

I trust my partner (literally!) with my life. My Apple password is less important than that.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Weird way of spelling "Apple expects me to actually live in the house where all my HomeKit stuff is, or actually be on the same continent before performing a risky, optional architecture update."

Yeah I have to say having followed this thread, the weirdest and most inexplicable part of the saga is the decision to remotely try updating your system when it literally controls access to your house.

If you've automated your home to this point, that's a tremendous point of failure, and you'd think you'd want to be ready to roll things back if necessary.

And yeah, just share your password. This is entirely a solvable problem that the OP is refusing to accept for unknown reasons.

I don't decide to do major updates to all my devices right before traveling, etc. Because it's a bad idea. Common sense is "don't do big upgrades when you're remote and don't have a real back-up plan."

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So, HomeKit is only for people who never go on longer travels and leave their families at home?
Apple like most people assume that if you trigger an update to your homekit/homepod that you would do so when you're home and not living in a second house in a different country ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My main home is in Dallas. I live in London now. My GF lives at my Dallas home.

We updated all iPhones, iPads, Watch, Macs, and HomePods to 16.2. 48 hours ago I triggered the HomeKit architecture update.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
If so, why is it even possible to do so? That question must be answered.
Probably because it didn’t eve occur to them that someone would try and not have someone onsite that can log in with the icloud password. For instance, back in the day I logged my Mother-In-Law’s iPad with my AppleID so I could keep track of something for her.

I forgot to log out, and a week later, it needs me to enter the password. Physically. Is that Apple‘s fault for not thinking of a crazy situation of my making? I told her the password, she logged in, and then I walked her through removing me. Then I changed the password.

All of which the OP can have his girlfriend do.

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
It isn’t. However, it is slightly ridiculous when it would perfectly solve his dire problem.

If he gives her the password, then she can check his emails and messages, and then she might want to move out, which would solve the problem but in another way.

So it's a win-win to share the password.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Imagine having a girlfriend live in your spare home, yet be not willing to give her a credential that can easily be changed after the fact. Or being afraid of giving the credential to her at all.

I normally don’t play troll on forums but it’s sort of absurd someone who has over 100 Apple devices in a spare home iirc doesn’t have the wherewithal to accept another solution. Or wants to complain about a 1.5K plane ticket (you don’t have to fly first class btw, a quick Google offered a ticket for $393, plus fees I’m sure)

Getting a call directly from Tim Cook really is the icing on the cake.

Sorry about your predicament. Hopefully you’ll consider some android or other third party option for your third home’s electronic.
Ok, so you called the big Daddy Apple for help on a problem you created and now you badmouth people who defend Daddy Apple?
Seriously, what is wrong with you peeps? :mad:.

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2006
Could it help to setup a VPN at the other house and connect to it with one of your devices? To make it appear like you flew all the way there.. or does it require a Bluetooth connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.