Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sack_peak

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 3, 2023
... they expect ~50% of upgraders to replace their 3yo or older phone

Source:

- https://www.apple.com/environment/answers/
- https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/getting-a-new-iphone-every-2-years-is-making-less-sense-than-ever/
- https://www.makeuseof.com/how-often-should-you-upgrade-your-phone/
- https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-2-year-mobile-phone-upgrade-cycle-is-mostly-dead
- https://www.statista.com/statistics/619788/average-smartphone-life/
- https://www.mobileworldlive.com/devices/news-devices/us-phone-upgrade-cycle-stretches-to-33-months/
- https://www.gsmarena.com/weekly_pol...e_keep_their_old_phones_longer-news-44191.php
- https://9to5mac.com/2019/02/08/four-year-smartphone-upgrades/
- https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/17/smartphone-users-are-waiting-longer-before-upgrading-heres-why.html

When the EU law for replaceable batteries gets enforced 4 years from now in 2027 expect more people to nearly double the length of keeping their iPhone & Android

Yearly upgraders are 1 of 20 persons.

00XK89eWyIC94invt66wuEv-4.fit_lim.size_1600x900.v1569486766.png

iPhone 12 Pro uses a A14 Bionic chip vs iPhone 15 Pro uses a A17 Pro. See the single & multi core performance differences.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

RhysoTDI

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2017
I'm in that 3 year category lol
Up until the iPhone 8 I was a yearly upgrader but since then I've seen little point in swapping out my phone. Only reason now is the bettery is suffering (alebit not much) and after 3 years I feel like it will be a worthwhile upgrade :)

My thought is 'how fast do you 'really' need your phone to be'?? Or how many megapixels does a camera need? 🤷‍♂️

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have the 11 Pro Max. It was paid off in March of 2023. Got it in February 2021 when the iPh 12 series was the current model.

I won't be upgrading for at least another two years or so and when I do it won't be to the current model. It'll probably be the 15 PM, but the 17 series (or whatever it will be called then) will be the current model at that time.

I'm not alone and I don't think that's reflected on these charts/graphs - people who do upgrade but not to the current model.

kanga1622

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
That’s me! Upgrading to the 15+ because the 12 my son was using has a horrible battery. He’s inheriting my 13 when I upgrade.

My husband and I tend to upgrade every 2-3 years passing our phones on to the kids. Then we turn the kids’ phones in for trade. So someone looking at just the buy/trade transaction will always think we are holding phones for 3-5 years. And we are as a family but not necessarily as an individual. If we were close to an Apple Store we would have just gotten a battery replacement and skipped the 15 upgrade cycle. The 12 is still a great phone with no issues other than the battery needing replacement without a decent option to do so in our area.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That’s me! Upgrading to the 15+ because the 12 my son was using has a horrible battery. He’s inheriting my 13 when I upgrade.
I just got my son a new battery for his iPhone SE2 on Saturday. After a recent Apple store experience I've decided to cut my ties to the Apple store for service. uBreakiFix is where we went and they are owned by Asurion, one of the two insurance giants (Assurant being the other) that the major carriers use for their insurance.

uBreakiFix had a battery for my 6 Plus and for my son's SE2. Both Apple, OEM with a one year warranty. They've been no hassle and no chaos and you don't need an appointment.

Reactions: Cape Dave

WaitingForGuacamole

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2021
I'm in that 3 year category lol
Up until the iPhone 8 I was a yearly upgrader but since then I've seen little point in swapping out my phone. Only reason now is the bettery is suffering (alebit not much) and after 3 years I feel like it will be a worthwhile upgrade :)

My thought is 'how fast do you 'really' need your phone to be'?? Or how many megapixels does a camera need? 🤷‍♂️

Same here, now. And I used to upgrade much more often until I reached the 12 Pro. Between the increasing cost of keeping up and the decreasing model difference on a year-to-year basis, I think the days of my upgrading annually, or even every other year, are over.

These are the main motivators for my upgrade:

1. My battery is at 84% - not low enough for AppleCare+ to kick in, but low enough to notice, and it hasn't budged in 6 months (should I be shocked by that?).
2. Performance - no, the phone itself isn't slowing down, but the OS is 3 years newer. More features, more work. At some point an upgrade is needed to keep up with Apple itself.
3. USB-C. Yeah, cleaning up the cables on the "charging shelf" would be really nice. Couple of MagSafes for the phones/airpod pros, couple of USB-Cs for the iPads (and also the phones). Put a lightning cable in the "legacy cable drawer" for good measure.
4. StandBy. Phone as an actual alarm clock on the nightstand is actually pretty compelling to me!

Last edited:
Reactions: RhysoTDI and Wags

kanga1622

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
I just got my son a new battery for his iPhone SE2 on Saturday. After a recent Apple store experience I've decided to cut my ties to the Apple store for service. uBreakiFix is where we went and they are owned by Asurion, one of the two insurance giants (Assurant being the other) that the major carriers use for their insurance.

uBreakiFix had a battery for my 6 Plus and for my son's SE2. Both Apple, OEM with a one year warranty. They've been no hassle and no chaos and you don't need an appointment.
We might be willing to find a shop that isn’t Apple approved but then I’m assuming we lose all value in trading in that phone in the future. We live several hours from an Apple Store and the localish Best Buy gave us such a run around about replacing the battery that we got the distinct impression they didn’t have a tech on staff comfortable doing that particular repair. First world problems!

Reactions: eyoungren

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
Going from an iPhone 12 Pro (Pacific Blue) to 15 Pro Max (Black Titanium, becasue there is no Purple option this year)

Edit: My Actaul Progression - iPhone OG - 3GS - 4 - 5 - 6 Plus - 6s Plus (due to screen issues) - X - 12 Pro - 15 Pro Max

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
We might be willing to find a shop that isn’t Apple approved but then I’m assuming we lose all value in trading in that phone in the future. We live several hours from an Apple Store and the localish Best Buy gave us such a run around about replacing the battery that we got the distinct impression they didn’t have a tech on staff comfortable doing that particular repair. First world problems!
The store I mentioned is an Apple Certified Repair store, backed up by the insurance handler the carriers use. It's also a chain. So, if you do look elsewhere then that's the kind of thing you'd want to be looking for.

I would NOT have taken my son's SE2 to a shop that wasn't at the very least Apple Certified. My 6 Plus was a different matter.

Reactions: kanga1622

Deeps

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Nottingham, UK
Seems like you don't need to upgrade every 1-2 yrs as the phone changes are in small increments to not warrant the upgrade.

With that being said I have a 12 Pro Max and getting a 15 Pro Max on launch day

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
...and they are exactly right.

In fact, those of us on the iPhone 15 cycle are the same people whose first iPhone was the 3GS and have been on that 2 year cycle (for the first years on the carrier-based model) and now the 3 year cycle (since carriers stopped the new-every-two subsidies).

10 > 12 > 15 > 18 those are the biggest audiences for iPhone upgrades because we're the ones who got the 3GS and we're the ones who got the X's.

That, and our 12's are worth $800 on trade right now and we know they'll be worth half that in 2024. My 15 is going to cost me $2.17 per month for 36 months with AT&T. Closest thing to the old new-every-two there is at present.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I think the biggest reason is carriers locking us into ~30-36 month contracts. Makes sense a large chunk of people are up for an upgrade, and with the trade-in value they are offering it's like free money (especially if you are happy with your carrier and don't mind being locked in again).

Sukach

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
12 Pro here... Going to 15 Pro Max. I'm on the 3-year upgrade cycle that I started with the X (was on a 2-year cycle prior to the X). Not sure what I'll be doing with my 12 Pro. Probably gonna try the Swappa approach rather than Craigslist/FB Marketplace that I've done in the past.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I have a 12 Pro Max but the battery has gone to crap for the 2nd time already and Apple offered me 420€, which means the 15 Plus was „only“ 680€. Figured I wouldn’t get as much next year when I initially planned to upgrade to 16 „Ultra“.

Now I am actually thinking about keeping the 15 Plus for my iOS ecosystem needs and a Galaxy Fold 6* for my „I want something new to play with“ needs next fall 😅

*only if Samsung finally makes the Fold outer screen wider

Petey07

macrumors regular
May 30, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Same here, I usually upgrade yearly or bi-yearly, but after the 12pm, i didn't find any WOW factor that makes me want to upgrade.

I am currently using the 12PM, and thinking of upgrading to the 15PM. One main reason of thinking of upgrading is because my battery life is about 75%, and it's noticeable. The phone itself is still functining fine, but I have a feeling that with updates, the phone might slow down and i might use this time to take advantage of the upgrade. I am debating if I should spend $90 to get the battery replace, or upgrade to the 15PM and use it for the next 3+ years.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I have the 11 (and prior to that, the 6S which is now my backup phone). I was thinking of upgrading to the 15, but my 11 is running so well for me I'll wait until next year.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
I am using a iphone 12 pro max, its not three years yet just two. Three years is next years iphone 16 pro max. Apple will see me than if the rumors hold. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.