Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J. J.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
As described in this official support document, it seems like Apple is deprecating a whole lot of features from macOS Server such as Web, DHCP, NetInstall, OpenVPN, Wiki, etc.

This is a very bad news for those who, like me, rely on these features. We will have to install third party software and we won't have everything under control in a centralized app. Any thoughts about this?

krolingo

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
I would recommend considering using Synology. I have been managing OS X, MacOS servers for over 10 years, and since they removed File Sharing from the latest High Sierra Server I saw the writing on the wall.

You can run all of those same services on a centralized location with the data on a reliable speedy low power Synology Box.

As described in this official support document, it seems like Apple is deprecating a whole lot of features from macOS Server such as Web, DHCP, NetInstall, OpenVPN, Wiki, etc.

This is a very bad news for those who, like me, rely on these features. We will have to install third party software and we won't have everything under control in a centralized app. Any thoughts about this?

GoodHealthIT

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2017
Adelaide
Any thoughts about this?

The writing has been on the wall for some time as the features of the Server app have slowly been removed, and this article pretty much shows that Server will no longer exist and Apple has no interest in the business environment.

As someone who runs a small business supporting macs in business, I've already seen clients walk away from the platform because of the features already removed, and I have to say this is the first time I've really felt like Apple is no longer the platform for me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not surprising, Apple decidely a consumer focused company and those services fall outside of that focus. I'd say start looking for alternatives before its too late.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
I am not totally surprised either...I stop using most of the services back in 2012 when I bought the Mac Mini realizing I can have greater efficiency outsourcing web hosting for my home office. For VPN, I use Mikrotik and lately PFSense which made me have no need for DHCP and just last month, I disabled NetInstall. The only service on now is Open Directory.

However, what really pissing me of is playing content via iTunes...as soon as close screen sharing of the headless Mac Mini, iTunes stop playing...this is with the latest version of High Sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.