Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is Apple terrible with syncing?

• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Never had issues

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I don't use syncing with Apple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Had some issues

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Egk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2014
About one week ago I installed macOS Ventura on my Macbook Air 2020 with an offline account. Later I set it up with my Apple ID and after it had synced it had added one additional, blank (except name) entry in Contacts.app that became the default "me"-card. I tried to merge the information and link with no avail.

This week Safari bookmarks won't sync properly between devices. For years notes would never properly sync between my devices at all, and I abandoned it forever.

I don't trust Apple with any critical syncing services these days and I expect that the services I use aren't reliable. I still use services such as Messages etc. where I don't care about having a perfect history of messages, but for certain apps like Safari I end up using Chrome even though I prefer Safari overall.

Have you guys abandoned using Apple-based app/services due to syncing issues, or are you still persisting even if it's not perfect, or is it actually perfect for you?

For instance if I were using Notes I'd never know immediately if I lost data due to the amount of notes, not to mentioned having no recourse if things went south. These are the current paper cuts I experience with Apple software (beyond unnecessary slow animations in UI in different OS').

bob_zz123

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2017
I'm sorry to hear you've had problems. I have to say I have had none of the issues you've mentioned at all. Syncing via iCloud for all the Apple services works perfectly for me, and I consider myself to be a pretty heavy user from contacts, calendars, notes, iCloud Drive, photos, and bookmarks with 2 Macs, iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch.

Reactions: Jay Tee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.