Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
Why don't people like apple keyboards? I love the keyboard on my 2015 mbp and the magic keyboard is the last piece of apple hardware remaining in my office. Keyboards are the only thing apple continues to do well.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Why don't people like apple keyboards? I love the keyboard on my 2015 mbp and the magic keyboard is the last piece of apple hardware remaining in my office. Keyboards are the only thing apple continues to do well.

The keyboards on the 2016/2017 MBPs are . . . problematic.

Back to the Apple store today for visit #3. Various keys repeat or don't work.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Exactly the opposite of narrow-minded. I base my opinion on comments from the people who were there. I base my comments after reading stories of former Apple employees who left the company. They are the ones who said Cook is a CEO first and foremost, has made lots of money, but the culture at Apple has changed from open discussions of ideas under Steve Jobs, to keep your head down and your mouth shut and do your job under Cook. Whether it's true or not I have no idea. Just my opinion.

Sorry, I didn’t want to say you’re narrow-minded, just that this view that some media likes to paint - is. And Apple has clearly changed with Cook, but does not mean they are without vision.

As for people who left Apple and have bad things to say about it - that seems natural that those who left are not happy about this change. Still, a lot of bright minds work there and are very happy, and a lot has joined under Cook. Means little to me.

I can only judge about their vision based on their products. And I see them following a path, adding features that form a bigger picture. Even more than before, products are designed in coordination, over several years and generations. Apple Watch and Airpods. W-chips and Homepod. A-series chips and AR. iPad as modern computing and iOS advancements - again with A-series chip advancements. It all builds up togeather, and they have been building and refining some things for years - and then it all fits togeather. It shows strong vision to me.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Why? Steve loved making things lighter and thinner. He loved eliminating legacy stuff and the ports they have removed are all from the past. Apple is marching forwards and these new MacBook Pros make the kind of bold statement that Steve would surely have been very proud to announce.
[doublepost=1477931417][/doublepost]

Steve saw the inevitable decline sales of Macs and PCs long before it all started happening. I don't think there's any doubt he would have moved focus away from the Mac and more towards things like the iPad Pro if he was still with us.

I think the Steve would have done things differently thing is just wishful thinking from those wanting to cling onto the past and blame Tim Cook for abandoning the Mac. But Steve was really no different, he slowly abandoned other Apple products when the time was right to do it.

Kinda agree with you. You only have to watch Steve launching the Mac Air to know how he revelled in thin and light. Maybe keyboards would be zero-travel by now, just touch with haptic feedback. Certainly he wouldn't give a rat's cuss for what geeks like us thought of where he was taking the company.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Um, the CEO of the company called a press conference and told the world he was giving away free bumper cases to everyone. That aint normal stuff.

Yes. He was trying to “fix” stupid. Somehow you can never actually fix stupid... Would you suggest he should have never addressed it all?

“Here. I am giving you all free bumpers because you’re too stupid to figure out how to hold a phone without covering up the entire antenna and whine about how isn’t working right. Yes, you are holding it wrong. Just like a gardener who doesn’t know how to hold a water hose and sprays his own face rather than the garden. Try telling them they are wrong, and they’ll blame the hose.”

You mean I have to hold a hose the right way or I will get sprayed on my face? Damn that’s a terrible product!!!

Last edited:

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
I had 9 iPhone 4 replacement due to that reception issue. Drove me nuts.

The connection problem was due to your hand linking together two different antennas.

A simple case (or bumper, that they offered for free) solved the issue.

If it didn't solve your connection issue, then the problem wasn't the phone but your network/service provider.

Sorry, but it's not true that you had 9 "defective units".

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Yes. He was trying to “fix” stupid. Somehow you can never actually fix stupid... Would you suggest he should have never addressed it all?

“Here. I am giving you all free bumpers because you’re too stupid to figure out how to hold a phone without covering up the entire antenna and whine about how isn’t working right. Yes, you are holding it wrong. Just like a gardener who doesn’t know how to hold a water hose and sprays his own face rather than the garden. Try telling them they are wrong, and they’ll blame the hose.”

You mean I have to hold a hose the right way or I will get sprayed on my face? Damn that’s a terrible product!!!

Somehow I can hold my current iPhone anyway I want and I see no signal loss at all. Am I just holding it right now?

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
As a sobering reminder of how good MBP owners have it - go and play with any Surface series keyboard. This Surface Book and Pro are widely regarded as competitors to the MBP which is a laughable concept in reality. The keyboard flexes with light pressure (I tried 4 models in John Lewis) and feels poorly constructed. Even Lenovo laptops feel dodgy in comparison which is saying something given they were once the gold standard. This is a testament to Apple at least striving to get the basics right.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
As a sobering reminder of how good MBP owners have it - go and play with any Surface series keyboard. This Surface Book and Pro are widely regarded as competitors to the MBP which is a laughable concept in reality. The keyboard flexes with light pressure (I tried 4 models in John Lewis) and feels poorly constructed. Even Lenovo laptops feel dodgy in comparison which is saying something given they were once the gold standard. This is a testament to Apple at least striving to get the basics right.
The surface keyboards are way better than the new MacBook Pro. I have had 3 surface pro keyboards, not because they broke, but because they make them better each time they bring a new model.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
The surface keyboards are way better than the new MacBook Pro. I have had 3 surface pro keyboards, not because they broke, but because they make them better each time they bring a new model.

I’m sorry but how on earth can you say that? The keys feel loose and haphazardly placed and the centre of the keyboards flex with normal typing. My MBP is made to perfection in comparison.

What do you find ‘better’ exactly?

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I’m sorry but how on earth can you say that? The keys feel loose and haphazardly placed and the centre of the keyboards flex with normal typing. My MBP is made to perfection in comparison.

What do you find ‘better’ exactly?
I guess it just comes down to preference. The Surface Keyboard to me has better spacing and feels more like the keyboards I loved in the MacBooks before they switched to the new keyboard style. (What it is called, butterfly something?) The keys don't feel loose to me at all. Almost exactly the same as in the old macbooks keyboard. As for the flexing, I haven't noticed it at all. Since the Surface Pro 3 and up they have been pretty sturdy. The only thing superior with the Macbooks is the touchpad. It was always perfect. Don't get me wrong though they surface touchpad is dang near close. As I Said I guess it just depends on preference. When playing games I invert my joystick cuz I'm used to it and almost nobody else does and when they play on my account they tell me I'm nuts for having it inverted.=)

Reactions: WhiteWhaleHolyGrail
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.