Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
I went to the shop in Ginza, Tokyo to get the service for my ipad purchased in the U.S.

It was full of people on the first floor with the fact that the iPad was released 2 days ago.

I went to the Genius Bar and talked to the person there named "Matt" (japanese guy with fake american name), and guess what he says:

"no international warranty, you cannot get the service"

So I said, where does it say that it's not international warranty, show me, and he couldn't show anything.

He basically just said he talked to the tech support and he got the answer that it's not international warranty.

Now under the warranty page on apple it says limited. but it doesnt say like the iphone where "the service is only for the country you have purchased"

Is iPad really not international warranty or is he wrong?

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
Very strange
I got a new battery (free) for my MacBook pro in Nagoya, no questions, no hassle
I would be surprised that the ipads are excluded from international warranty

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
Not to mention when he was talking to another rep, he said it in Japanese something like

"if we accept this, then we might have to accept more"

whether he meant if he will accept international warranty or not even if it is international warranty, he just lost trust to me as an apple support technician. how unprofessional he was

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Hmm, I've never heard of AppleCare not working internationally. There IS something in the fine print that says:

Apple may restrict service provided under this Plan to the Covered Equipment’s original country of purchase.

But most of the time they're usually very good about working worldwide. Maybe you should try again and try talking to someone else. Or call Apple.

Frado

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
I thought only the iPhone didn't have international warranty? So the iPad doesn't have it either? That's a bummer. Was going to buy one in the US, but I'd like my warranty in Europe as well

Toonbay

macrumors 6502
Well I can tell you 100% that iPad does have international warranty as I have an e mail from apple confirming this.
I bought a US ipad in may and had a problem with screen which sorted it self out but apple confirmed they would replace or fix on UK release.
Like I said I have an e mail to confirm this so I would go back in again

Frado

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
Mixed reply's then? @ Above saying it does have warranty: you do need the receipt probably right?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
But most of the time they're usually very good about working worldwide. Maybe you should try again and try talking to someone else. Or call Apple.

Maybe he made a mistake, he's Japanese and probably wouldn't want to lose face.

Go to another Tokyo Apple Store and ask again, and don't bring up the first incident.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Well I can tell you 100% that iPad does have international warranty as I have an e mail from apple confirming this.
I bought a US ipad in may and had a problem with screen which sorted it self out but apple confirmed they would replace or fix on UK release.

Maybe worth forwarding it to him so he can take it with him :)

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California

I'll be so appreciated if you can forward the email to me so I can show it to them ;)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The ipad carries an international warrenty, in store if the country has stores and phone if they don't. I've already had this conversation with apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.