Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Can anyone tell me if the Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (Aluminum/Wired) will work with a PC running Windows XP? Thanks.

Update:
After looking around a bit on the net for a definitive answer to this question, it does look like it would have basic plug and play functionality, but for a more complete compatibility with Windows would require the installation of the Boot Camp Control Panel and the appropriate drivers. When I realized that the Command key would become the Windows key, etc. I decided that Mrs. DewGuy1999 wouldn't really care for that arrangement and have abandoned the idea. Thanks to those that responded.

Last edited:

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Consider this. Apple includes this keyboard with some Macs as an option. Some people are going to want to install Windows on their Mac. Would Apple really tell those people that they need a new keyboard just to use windows?

I'm sure there's a driver for it in the BootCamp drivers. Therefore I would think it would be plug-and-play in Windows. Otherwise how would you set up Windows in BootCamp in the first place?

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Consider this. Apple includes this keyboard with some Macs as an option. Some people are going to want to install Windows on their Mac. Would Apple really tell those people that they need a new keyboard just to use windows?

I'm sure there's a driver for it in the BootCamp drivers. Therefore I would think it would be plug-and-play in Windows. Otherwise how would you set up Windows in BootCamp in the first place?

I thought of that, but how would one install the Boot Camp drivers on a PC?

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
I am convinced that it's plug and play.

Secondly, just put the disc that came with your Mac in, if that doesn't work, and when Windows asks for a driver, direct it to the disc.

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
Wish I could help but after switching to Macs 2 years ago I've completely forgotten what it's like to install drivers :p

But seriously, I don't think you should have any problems. It's a fairly basic keyboard. The only thing you probably won't be able to use are the F13–F19 keys

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
I am convinced that it's plug and play.

Secondly, just put the disc that came with your Mac in, if that doesn't work, and when Windows asks for a driver, direct it to the disc.

Since it's USB I was hoping it's Plug and Play but was looking for verification that it actually worked before buying one. I was going to get it for Mrs. DewGuy1999's upcoming birthday gift as she likes the short throw on current Apple keyboards but hates her current mushy HP keyboard. I just would hate to buy it and give it to her and not have it work.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
A review on Apple.com:

"I love it,

Great design, awesome feel, replaced my old Logitech keyboard and works well with windows as well!"

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
After looking around a bit on the net for a definitive answer to this question, it does look like it would have basic plug and play functionality, but for a more complete compatibility with Windows would require the installation of the Boot Camp Control Panel and the appropriate drivers. When I realized that the Command key would become the Windows key, etc. I decided that Mrs. DewGuy1999 wouldn't really care for that arrangement and have abandoned the idea. Thanks to those that responded.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
After looking around a bit on the net for a definitive answer to this question, it does look like it would have basic plug and play functionality, but for a more complete compatibility with Windows would require the installation of the Boot Camp Control Panel and the appropriate drivers.
It's a keyboard. It's not going to require bootcamp or any control panels or anything. Just plug it in and use it.

Be advised though that the labels on some of the keys will be different compared to a standard PC/windows keyboard (so if you need that printscreen key to make a capture of a window for example you might need to fumble around some to find the right key), but you seem aware of this already so then it's all A-OK for you. :)

Just go with the flow, it'll be alright.

*Edit:
Just to make sure I'm not misleading you or anything, I plugged the keyboard into my self-assembled big-rig PC and am typing away on it right now. The keyboard and USB hub works flawlessly, there's no need to install any kind of drivers or any additional software whatsoever. Even though I run Win7, it'll be the same under XP; this is a standard compound USB device. The OS already has all the drivers it needs. I can confirm that command works the same as the windows key, and control on the Mac keyboard is what windows expect from a control key, same with escape, home, end, pageup, pagedn and so on.

Last edited:

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
It's a keyboard. It's not going to require bootcamp or any control panels or anything. Just plug it in and use it.

Be advised though that the labels on some of the keys will be different compared to a standard PC/windows keyboard (so if you need that printscreen key to make a capture of a window for example you might need to fumble around some to find the right key), but you seem aware of this already so then it's all A-OK for you. :)

Just go with the flow, it'll be alright.

*Edit:
Just to make sure I'm not misleading you or anything, I plugged the keyboard into my self-assembled big-rig PC and am typing away on it right now. The keyboard and USB hub works flawlessly, there's no need to install any kind of drivers or any additional software whatsoever. Even though I run Win7, it'll be the same under XP; this is a standard compound USB device. The OS already has all the drivers it needs. I can confirm that command works the same as the windows key, and control on the Mac keyboard is what windows expect from a control key, same with escape, home, end, pageup, pagedn and so on.

Since you've actually used it without any additional drivers I'm going to take your word for it that it works. However as I mentioned in my last post, when I realized that the Command key would become the Windows key, etc. I decided that Mrs. DewGuy1999 wouldn't really care for that arrangement and have abandoned the idea. Thanks for taking the time to respond maybe it will be helpful to someone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.