Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Hi all,

I have really been wanting a Mac laptop since the Intel models came out, well even before that. One potential thing I don't like is the mouse. There is no right-click on the built-in buttons. I know you could plug-in a USB mouse and use that, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a laptop, especially when on-the-go? Other than that, I love the MacBook and MacBook Pro's I've seen and played around with.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions? Anyone have a realistic workaround?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
You put 2 fingers on the trackpad and click at the same time. That equals a right click on the MacBook Pro and MacBooks. It works quite good, I really like it.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
ITASOR said:
You put 2 fingers on the trackpad and click at the same time. That equals a right click on the MacBook Pro and MacBooks. It works quite good, I really like it.

Well that seems pretty simple. :) Thanks for the tip! Does same thing work in Windows (using Boot Camp) if anyone happens to know?

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
ITASOR said:
i think it's only the 17" MBP that has that. I'm not sure about the Macbooks but my 15.4" MBP seems to lack this feature (i dont know why) so i always use CTRL+Click

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
technicolor said:
Not when I tried.

Thanks for the update. I spend most of my time in OS X anyway but I do some gaming on Windows so that would not be good. I wonder if there is a solution to this that's free for Windows use. (Why can't Windows just be as intuitive as Mac OS X? :D ). Trick question.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Xander562 said:
i think it's only the 17" MBP that has that. I'm not sure about the Macbooks but my 15.4" MBP seems to lack this feature (i dont know why)

I'm considering a Mac Book Pro for gaming but even a MacBook would be great for taking notes, doing things on the go and playing some non intensive games from time to time.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
AnthonyKinyon said:
Thanks for the update. I spend most of my time in OS X anyway but I do some gaming on Windows so that would not be good.
Wouldnt you use an external mouse for that anyway? I find it really hard to game on a track pad.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
All MacBooks use the two-finger tap on the trackpad as the right click in Mac OSX. In Windows, the most current release of Boot Camp included a driver that makes clicking whilst holding down the right-hand command key equal to right-click.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
Xander562 said:
i think it's only the 17" MBP that has that. I'm not sure about the Macbooks but my 15.4" MBP seems to lack this feature (i dont know why) so i always use CTRL+Click
No it isnt, the feature was introduced to the 15s during an os update...even before then there was a hack.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Chundles said:
All MacBooks use the two-finger tap on the trackpad as the right click in Mac OSX. In Windows, the most current release of Boot Camp included a driver that makes clicking whilst holding down the right-hand command key equal to right-click.

Thank you, Chundles!

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
There are also some little third party utilities for Windows that will enable the same behavior IIRC. Can't remember the name(s) now, but a Google search should turn up results.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
This works on all Macbooks and MB Pro's, but you have to enable it in the System Preferences before it works. Similiar to tapping the trackpad for a click.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Let's not forget the old reliable Control+Click which still works to achieve the same effect as a right-click.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
technicolor said:
No it isnt, the feature was introduced to the 15s during an os update...even before then there was a hack.

true, my 1Ghz PowerBook has this feature after I downloaded iScroll :D

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
AnthonyKinyon said:
Hi all,

I have really been wanting a Mac laptop since the Intel models came out, well even before that. One potential thing I don't like is the mouse. There is no right-click on the built-in buttons. I know you could plug-in a USB mouse and use that, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a laptop, especially when on-the-go? Other than that, I love the MacBook and MacBook Pro's I've seen and played around with.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions? Anyone have a realistic workaround?

Two ways:

Holding down the Ctrl key when you click counts as a right click.

Putting two fingers on the trackpad will make your click count as a right click.

Richard Flynn

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Sydney
AnthonyKinyon said:
Well that seems pretty simple. :) Thanks for the tip! Does same thing work in Windows (using Boot Camp) if anyone happens to know?
Doesn't work in Boot Camp, as others have said, but it does work when running Windows in Parallels Desktop.

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
mduser63 said:
There are also some little third party utilities for Windows that will enable the same behavior IIRC. Can't remember the name(s) now, but a Google search should turn up results.

Find these please??? I've got everything including the FN keys all working, iSight, KEYBOARD BACKLIGHT, sound driver issue (speakers + headphones always on), now all I need is the trackpad functionality!!!!!

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
With the latest bootcamp, I believe FN+Click is a right-click in windows. At least it is on my machine!

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Xander562 said:

you should update your software because my 15.4 MBP does it. it was in an update in the last few months.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
the 2-Finger Right Click method is awesome! I like it a lot more than actually having a right mouse button, It's hard to imagine, just use a macbook or mbp with this feature and you'll love it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.