Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonthegeologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Hi

Back in 1993, I bought my first Apple - a desktop LC475 (Performa xxx) with an Apple display. It was retired in the late 90s but I kept it for old times sake.

I switched it on yesterday for the first time in 10 years maybe and it seemed to boot up just fine - familar welcome note sounding - but the monitor remained black despite the power light glowing green.

I'm now not sure: is the computer itself ok? Is the monitor broken? I've got a PC monitor in the house (15in VGA flatscreen) and want to know how I connect it up. Research suggests the video out on the LC475 is DB15 if that makes sense.

Anyone got any ideas?

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
You'll need a Mac DB15 -> VGA HD15 converter but these may be very hard to find as they haven't been used in over a decade. IIRC, I think I just tossed a half-dozen of them a month or so ago while cleaning. I'll do a quick check to see if I have any left.

jonthegeologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
You'll need a Mac DB15 -> VGA HD15 converter but these may be very hard to find as they haven't been used in over a decade. IIRC, I think I just tossed a half-dozen of them a month or so ago while cleaning. I'll do a quick check to see if I have any left.

I'd really appreciate that -- it'd be good to rule in or rule out the monitor.

I've also heard that the battery voltage can make a difference so I'll look into replacing that too if needs be.

If you find one, I'll cover any costs. Thanks

J

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
The LC475 (aka Quadra 605) can produce no video out after the battery dies.

Try this first. Pop open the top cover by gently lifting the two tabs at the back of the machine (check for a screw in the center of the rear first).

Remove the battery (it may have a black cover over it). Leave it with no battery or mains power overnight (sometimes a whole day). Then, try to power it on again - no need to install a battery for an initial test.

I lost count how many service centers told customers they needed a new logic board when it was just severely corrupted PRAM, but the old Command, Option, P, R keys on startup won't clear it.

It may yet be your monitor, but it's worth a try.

Sometimes, shorting the battery holder's terminals does the trick overnight - of course, without the battery installed !!

Good luck!
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

jonthegeologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Really useful stuff, thanks guys

I suspect that the battery could well have drained in the 10 years since last launch so my bet is that that's a good place to start. I'll post an update later. Looking forward to seeing that system 7 desktop again ;)

jonthegeologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Ok, we now have video after replacing the battery, but I'm getting a floppy disk icon with a question mark

I've reset the PRAM (Cmd, opt, P R) but that hasn't cleared it.

Any ideas on next steps? I've got a new hard drive with System 7.5 installed on its way just in case that's the cause.

J

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
This might sound odd, but you could try knocking your hand against the hard drive a few times. Lots of old drives have stiff grease and need a little whack to start turning again...

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
The key may be labeled "Option" instead of "Alt". In general the two can be interchanged depending on what keyboard you are using.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Only the windows/clone keyboards had alt... on the mac it should be option like the poster before me mentioned....

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
This might sound odd, but you could try knocking your hand against the hard drive a few times. Lots of old drives have stiff grease and need a little whack to start turning again...

Indeed, this is called a "Stiction Fault". When the drive attempts to spin up, the heads are in contact with the drive's metal platters. They need to slip initially. The lubrication can harden, or be dispersed, and this causes it not to spin up.

Check to see if the drive is actually spinning, if it isn't, try giving it a light "shock" by tapping it with a blunt object when power is first applied.

There is a model of Quantum drive used in many LC475s that has another fault. The head park locking mechanism no longer dis-engages. These drives have almost no indentations on the top cover. I might try to dig one out so I can post a pic for you - or maybe you can post a pic of yours.

EDIT: Found a pic of this particular drive (thanks to DCP Inc)

http://www.4drives.biz/images/DRIVEPICTURES/QUANTUM_ELS170S.jpg

The only (temporary) fix for those to get data off them is to remove the top cover, dis-engaged the lock (a long white piece of nylon plastic mounted on a pivot post) and then apply power and watch it spin up an calibrate.

Of course, removing the top cover of a drive is something you normally only do in a dust free environment, but I've used this method to recover critical data from these specific models in the past - the long-ago past!

jonthegeologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
... yep, that's the drive, except mine is a firmware 1992 version. Ah, history ;)

I cannot hear the drive spinning and have tapped it as hard as I dare but to no avail.

It seems likely that the drive is the cause here so I'm buying a replacement via eBay for 99p (60c). Keen to try that. Naturally, it probably means my old old data is no more, but it'll be good to see that desktop once again.

J

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
... yep, that's the drive, except mine is a firmware 1992 version. Ah, history ;)

I cannot hear the drive spinning and have tapped it as hard as I dare but to no avail.

It seems likely that the drive is the cause here so I'm buying a replacement via eBay for 99p (60c). Keen to try that. Naturally, it probably means my old old data is no more, but it'll be good to see that desktop once again.

J

It can be very disconcerting. If it isn't spinning at all you could try removing it from the machine, placing it in a warm place for about 30 minutes, and then try it again. Also, you need to hit it or "flick" it in the same plane as the platters spin at the MOMENT it tries to spin up - which is usually when power is first applied and then only for about 3 seconds. I used to use the handle of a hefty screwdriver and whack it on the side (not the top with the large surface area) but near a corner on the edge. Does that make sense?

If it spins up and the head park dis-engages, it should make sounds like:

"Chuck - chuck (pause) wakka-wakka-wakka-wakka-br-r-r-r-r-r-t"
:eek:

which means the head park has disengaged and it's been able to move the heads to calibrate onto track zero.

Never thought I'd be trying to explain that sound in written form. :rolleyes:

jonthegeologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
"Chuck - chuck (pause) wakka-wakka-wakka-wakka-br-r-r-r-r-r-t"
:eek:

Ok, so after 30 minutes on the radiator and the drive nicely warmed up, I tried it again. This time I'm getting noises, more whirring than your lovely description above but then it dies to nothing within 5 seconds as the floppy disk question mark icon shows. I'll try some more warming.

In the meantime, new harddrive with system 7.5.5 installed purchased, so I hope that gives me an alternative.

TangoCharlie

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2004
Horsham, West Sussex
Mac to PC monitor adapter.

Hi

Back in 1993, I bought my first Apple - a desktop LC475 (Performa xxx) with an Apple display. It was retired in the late 90s but I kept it for old times sake.

I switched it on yesterday for the first time in 10 years maybe and it seemed to boot up just fine - familar welcome note sounding - but the monitor remained black despite the power light glowing green.

I'm now not sure: is the computer itself ok? Is the monitor broken? I've got a PC monitor in the house (15in VGA flatscreen) and want to know how I connect it up. Research suggests the video out on the LC475 is DB15 if that makes sense.

Anyone got any ideas?

As mentioned, you need an adapter. As it happens I've got one you can
have if you'll pay the postage. Email me at tldcollins _at_ gmail _dot_ com if you want it. (BTW I'm in the UK).

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Ok, so after 30 minutes on the radiator and the drive nicely warmed up, I tried it again. This time I'm getting noises, more whirring than your lovely description above but then it dies to nothing within 5 seconds as the floppy disk question mark icon shows. I'll try some more warming.

In the meantime, new harddrive with system 7.5.5 installed purchased, so I hope that gives me an alternative.

Ahhh, :(

If all it's doing is a whirring sound and NO clatter clunk etc, then the head park locking lever is stuck. Nothing I ever tried would work (except for opening the drive as detailed earlier in the thread).

If you have old programs/data you'd like to rescue, I could do one here and take pics of the steps if you like. :)

And I just hope that the 7.5.5 system that is on that drive you are buying was installed on a 68K Mac and NOT a PPC Mac. Some resources in the System Suitcase are different. But, Apple offers a full 7.5.3 install for free download.

Let me know how you get on.

jonthegeologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
As mentioned, you need an adapter. As it happens I've got one you can
have if you'll pay the postage. Email me at tldcollins _at_ gmail _dot_ com if you want it. (BTW I'm in the UK).

Very kind -- as you might see from the thread below, I think the hard drive is not looking good. If I can get it up and running, I'll ping you! Many thanks.

jonthegeologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Ahhh, :(

If all it's doing is a whirring sound and NO clatter clunk etc, then the head park locking lever is stuck. Nothing I ever tried would work (except for opening the drive as detailed earlier in the thread).

If you have old programs/data you'd like to rescue, I could do one here and take pics of the steps if you like. :)

And I just hope that the 7.5.5 system that is on that drive you are buying was installed on a 68K Mac and NOT a PPC Mac. Some resources in the System Suitcase are different. But, Apple offers a full 7.5.3 install for free download.

Let me know how you get on.

The drive I've just bought was detailed as specifically for an LC475 (tested in one), so all should be well. I'm going to keep the original on a radiator for a few days (hey, it's not doing much in the Apple ...!) to see if that makes any difference.

I have no idea what data/programs are on the original so I have no idea if it's worth saving.

lcgraham

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
Albuquerque NM
Upgrading LC475?

Greetings all, I've been in the same situation several times. I'm an original owner of a 1993 LC475 (OS7.6.1, 25Mhz, 160MB) that I used mostly for word processing now. I have had the monitor fail perhaps a half dozen times and it has always come back to life with a new CMOS battery. As for your Hard Drive, it will be much easier, cheaper and less stressful if you just swapped it out with a replacement SCSI drive. Recently, I replaced my 160MB SCSI drive for a 500MB SCSI drive (I didn't need to though). I purchased it for $5.00 (USD) in a used computer store, popped it in, reformatted it and reinstalled all the system software and it starts up without any problems.

Lee Graham
Albuquerque NM

jonthegeologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Well well, 12 years later :)

I did get the LC475 back to life with a new hard drive with OS installed. It's a museum piece obviously, but fun to reminisce. The strangest thing is that I could have sworn the LC475 was full colour (well, you know, as full colour as 1994 would provide) but with the new OS install, it's all monochrome.

If anyone of you have a view on that, I'm all ears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.