Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I bought a knock-off one on eBay for $16.99 - the one with red wires that you see being sold for cheap. Unfortunately, it doesn't work very well so my only other option is the official Apple one.

I'm hesitant to buy one, however, because the reviews on Apple's own website are pretty terrible. Strangely, the reviews on Amazon are great. I can't understand how the reviews can be so different for the same product.

Does anyone own one and can tell me how well it works?

Also, does it require a power source for it to work? The one I got on eBay required it to be plugged in with an AC adapter.

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
I have it. You don't need to plug the iPad in but I found with my 12.9" I frequently did otherwise the battery would drain very quickly.

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Other than the battery drain, would you say it works well?

Has it been able to display everything you wanted it to? And was the audio in synch with the video?

Those were the main problems with the one I got on eBay. It would not display everything I tested, and when it did display, the audio was out of synch with the video.

jameschho

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2003
Pasadena, CA
I wouldn't trust anything non apple for this adapter because the adapter has a SOC embedded in it to decode the h.264 video stream coming from the lightning port. The lightning port can't actually output HDMI so it requires tight software integration between the adapter SOC and iOS.

Reactions: Peter K.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.