Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
It is about 3,000 units per year lost sales. This is from about 15,000 Mac Pros per year. By comparison about 60,000 Mac Studios per year are likely sold.

I dispute this. Recent articles have come out that Mac Pro sales made up 10% of sales:

how-apple-customers-use-macs.jpeg

I would argue that margin on Mac pros is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than other brackets, and so the actual profit/revenue share of Mac pros punches way above it's weight and could make up 20%.

Furthermore, again, the argument completely ignores the import of the halo "think different" users ... it is the old lost argument that somehow the John Scully era of making more money but losing the halo "think different" influence (because innovation/development went to poop and the think different crowd moved elsewhere) was a good course of action, and history has soundly proven that wrong (eg see apple's many "think different" ads apologizing for being non innovating losers and that they've changed back to their non-Scully innovative roots).

Last edited:
Reactions: wegster

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Wow how surprising, even the benchmarks are cherrypicked and misleading. Similar to the MBP battery tests which claim the laptops last 20+ hours with the workload being looping a movie/tv show on the apple+ tv app with low brightness lmao.

having to cherrypick tests shows what we already know: these systems are not as good as they claim and the marketing dept has to lie about the results. pathetic.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
There have been youtube videos that show different browsing habits done on multiple iphones/ipads together to show how long battery last. Maybe they should do the same for all m based laptops etc.

I can say my 13" m1 macbook pro battery life is gets close to a day on day 1 of receiving it but now its maybe 14-16 hours and temp are always 30-35'c when working and having browsers open etc with teams call etc. So far its ok. could be the new OSX and softwares also that are memory hogs.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Data centers tend to look for ways to cut down on overhead. One of which is power consumption via performance per watt. This is especially important in locations with very high $/kWh.

A hope I had for Apple was for them to enter the server space with Apple Silicon. The power savings it brings would be enticing.
They tried this before, and their G5-based servers were pretty underwhelming. I did some benchmarking on them back then and my best guess/memory is their thread performance was just pretty abysmal - suspected it was their wrapping of BSD threads to Mach internals, bur for whatever reason, it just wasn't performant at all. Things may have changed over time, and there certainly is relevance in the datacenter/'edge datacenter' space for performance per watt/$ plays, assuming confidence, performance and required software (and support infrastructure/escalation paths expected at enterprise level) are there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.