Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corrado66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
Hi all,

I have this Apple MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.8 15" Touch/Mid-2017, A1707 EMC3162, which suddenly, during operation, the image froze and I could not do anything. I turned it off forcefully and on the next start I had only backlight, no image.
After several attempts, with the same result, I tried to reinstall iOS with internet recovery, but I receive the following message: "The installer information on the recovery server is damaged". I mention that I tried both the initial version of iOS and the last one, which can be installed on this device, but with the same error message...
I checked that the date is correct and that I have a good connection to the Internet - all good.
The next step was to try installing iOS from a USB device, but here, after choosing the device to start the installation from, only the logo appears and it does not go any further. I left it in this state for more than 1 hour but the installation did not start. When testing in diagnostic mode, it reports that there is no error (this model have SSD and memory soldered)
The mainboard has been checked under a microscope and shows no traces of liquid or anything else
I did a lot of searching on the internet, but I couldn't find a solution.
Is it an iOS problem?
From what I have seen, this model has some problems with the flex cable from the display. Or is it possible that this is also to blame for my defect?
Although in no application (starting with installation, terminal or disk utility) does not appear any problem with image. What else could I try to find a solution?

Thank you in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.