Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveMike11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for an external Keyboard for my M1 Max. I'm going back & forth between Apple Magic Keyboard vs Logitech MX Keys Mini. I'm a Photographer & Video editor. I'm new to Mac. Any recommendations between the two keyboards?

Thanks in advance,

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Hi,
Basically reviewers say that Mx keys series are more comfortable than the Apple's keyboard.
Also it is $100 versus $150+ for Apple.
So if you don't lose on quality, then why pay more?

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
The two are great keyboards. I personally use the Magic Keyboard as I like the consistency of keyboard feel between my MacBook and my other devices, but MX is great too. The biggest bummer to Magic Keyboard is the absence of backlighting, so if it's important for you, the MX is a no brainer

Last edited:

DaveMike11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2014
The two are great keyboards. I personally use the Magic Keyboard as I like the consistency of keyboard feel between my MacBook and my other keyboards, but MX is great too. The biggest bummer to Magic Keyboard is the absence of backlighting, so if it's important for you, the MX is a no brainer
Thank you. You are correct. The exact points why I'm going back & forth. I wanted the backlighting + multi-device and i also wanted the same keyboard feel as my macbook. Also is the TouchId on the new magic keyboard a very useful feature to have ?

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
Count me in the minority, I actually prefer the feel of the Magic Keyboard over just about every other aftermarket option, including the Logitech offerings.

JeepGC

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I have the regular-size MX keys and strongly prefer it to Apple‘s offerings; however, that‘s just my opinion. The Logic offers more customizability, but in all honesty they’re very similar. I would go to your local Best Buy and try both to see which one you prefer and make your decision based on that.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Thank you. You are correct. The exact points why I'm going back & forth. I wanted the backlighting + multi-device and i also wanted the same keyboard feel as my macbook. Also is the TouchId on the new magic keyboard a very useful feature to have ?
I have an older Magic Keyboard without TouchID, but I use the TouchID on my MacBook quite often for passwords and Apple Pay, so I definitely can see the convenience of having it directly on the keyboard you are typing on.

Reactions: DaveMike11

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
+1 for the MX Keys, though I use the full size, it is a no brainer if you have any other devices you would like to use the keyboard with such as a PC or iPad as it switches between them with a single button push. The only down side is not having touchID. Edit: another issue is if you use filevault then you cannot use the MX Keys on boot, you need to login using your laptop keyboard then revert to clamshell, when I got my M1 I turned off filevault to get around this issue.

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I tried the MX for a week and hated it. The keys are mushy and the travel is way too long. I also really disliked the round hollow area on the keys.
There is backlight, but the lighting is kind of crude (too bright even if tuned all the way down, too much space between the keys) and doesn't turn on very consistently.
Imo the Apple keyboard is in a totally different league. Besides, I offers consistency between devices, and touch ID.

ttyRazor

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
I think the only reason to go with the Magic Keyboard is if you really want Touch ID. Apple Watch handles most (but not all) of the uses for it when my MacBook is in clamshell mode, though. Multi-device support and a proper inverted-T arrow key layout, plus the lower price, seem more than enough reason to go with the MX Keys unless you just don't like the feel of it. the rounded indents are definitely an acquired taste, but I got used to them soon enough.

ttyRazor

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
+1 for the MX Keys, though I use the full size, it is a no brainer if you have any other devices you would like to use the keyboard with such as a PC or iPad as it switches between them with a single button push. The only down side is not having touchID. Edit: another issue is if you use filevault then you cannot use the MX Keys on boot, you need to login using your laptop keyboard then revert to clamshell, when I got my M1 I turned off filevault to get around this issue.
Using a USB dongle instead of Bluetooth gets around this, but since Logitech inexplicably doesn't have a USB-C dongle yet (and I'd be bothered if it jutted out by too much) this only really works as part of a USB-C or Thunderbolt docking station.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I have been lifelong fan of Logitech - they make great keyboards and mice that are just so much more comfortable to use on a daily basis than Apple's offerings, and sometimes, or maybe most times, they are cheaper than Apple's too. Apple's peripherals might look elegant, but when it comes to practicality, I believe that Logitech has them beat.

I am currently typing on the MX Keys and using MX Anywhere 3 mouse and I don't feel any strain on my hands or my wrists. Whereas, with Apple's offerings, my wrist would get sore from using the Magic Mouse/Magic Trackpad after about 1 hour. The touch mechanism on the mouse is great, but ergonomics is more important to me.

Also, the keyboard: Logitech's MX Keys have a more solid feel to them than the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID that Apple sells. I like the feeling of the weighty and heavy keyboard as opposed to the lighter feeling keystrokes on the Magic Keyboard.

My own 2 cents...

Last edited:

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Another vote for the MX keys. I use it daily & love the multi-device support so I can quickly shift from my work computer to my personal Mac when the workday is over. I do use the full sized one though, as I prefer the number key.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
What is the keyspacing of the various Logitech keyboards? I find it very frustrating that nobody publishes this spec since IMO it is one of the most important. Apple desktop keyboards are all 19 mm centre to centre, as are their 12.9” iPad Pro keyboards. Their iPad Pro 11” keyboards are 18 mm.

What about the Logitech models? MX Keys Mini? What about the K380? If 18 to 19 mm I’d buy but if 17 mm that’s too small for long term use.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for an external Keyboard for my M1 Max. I'm going back & forth between Apple Magic Keyboard vs Logitech MX Keys Mini. I'm a Photographer & Video editor. I'm new to Mac. Any recommendations between the two keyboards?

Thanks in advance,

I have both, both are great but different than in some ways. If you want to use different devices with the keyboard, MX Mini is great as you can easily switch between 3 BT devices. Of course, if you use only Apple devices rely on Universal Control this is less of an advantage - but it’s still nice. Also, MX Mini has more customization, however you can customize Apple keyboard with BTT and similar apps. Finally, one advantage of Mini is that it charges with USB-C.

On the other hand, Apple Keyboard comes with its own advantages. First, if you get the one with TouchID, that is great on its own. Second, certain keys work better- for example the Fn key works to change keyboard layouts an dictation, etc but this doesn’t work on Mini. Also you can put the Mac to sleep with ⌘ + ⌥ + Esc on Apple keyboard but not Mini. Minor things, but still.

As for the feel and build, both feel very premium. Personally I slightly prefer the feel of Apple keyboard, also it is smaller (the entire keyboard, the size of keys is roughly the same).

Both solid choices and probably the best two keyboards for a Mac.

DDetloff

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2021
Been using the Logitech MX Keys Mini for several months and recently added the Logitech MX Master 3S mouse and prefer both over the Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse.

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
But it does work, when you have the Logitech adapter?

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
I've been using the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID since I got my new M1 Max MacBook and it's been fantastic. I moved over from a Logitech keyboard that I used for years (although not the one you're considering). The keyboard itself is actually really nice to use, but I don't think I could go back to something without Touch ID built in. This has been by far the most useful feature on a keyboard I've ever had - especially if you're a 1Password user.

Being that most accounts make you either change your password every 6 months or so and require a great deal of variations - auto filling your password with a fingerprint is an absolute must for me now.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
What is the keyspacing of the various Logitech keyboards? I find it very frustrating that nobody publishes this spec since IMO it is one of the most important. Apple desktop keyboards are all 19 mm centre to centre, as are their 12.9” iPad Pro keyboards. Their iPad Pro 11” keyboards are 18 mm.

What about the Logitech models? MX Keys Mini? What about the K380? If 18 to 19 mm I’d buy but if 17 mm that’s too small for long term use.
I checked out the MX Keys Mini in-store, and bought the K380 on sale for my 8 year-old, and measured the spacing myself.

MX Keys mini is 19 mm.
K380 is 18 mm.

Both are considered ergonomically correct. It's below 18 mm when problems start to arise for ergonomics, for adults at least. 18 mm is a good size for a kid.

It irritates me to no end that keyboard reviews never include this very basic information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.