Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I currently have an Apple Magic Keyboard + Trackpad and I need to factory reset both devices. I plan on selling them to a buddy, and need them to basically be 'new' devices so he can set them up on his MacBook.

I remember a few years ago, that there was a bug on MacOS where you had to unpair any bluetooth apple keyboard / mouse before it could be paired with a new device. Is this still the case MacOS Monterey? Will performing a factory reset fix this issue? And if it does, how do I perform a factory reset for both the kyboard and trackpad?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Asif

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
You just have to rename the device to remove your name and to forget the device in your mac bluetooth settings. AFAIK there’s not a proper factory reset for magic trackpad/keyboard/mouse and you can pair it with any bluetooth device at any time

Reactions: casperghst42

oriz

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2016
I am wondering this myself. In the past (before Monterey) you could hold down shift+option key on the Bluethooth menubar icon. Then you would find a reset option. This seems to be gone since Monterey.

Edit: The option was called "Factory reset all Apple-connected devices", see for example https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253328161

Last edited:

invisibleland

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2022
I didn’t have the MacBook Pro handy that my Magic Trackpad and Keyboard were paired with, so on a whim I tried turning the power switch off and on five times on each device and they magically showed up in my Bluetooth settings and I was able to pair them with my iPad Pro.

Reactions: BillAyers

BillAyers

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2022
I tried turning the power switch off and on five times on each device and they magically showed up in my Bluetooth settings and I was able to pair them with my iPad Pro.

This is absolutely vital info I've found nowhere else on the internet. I'd connected a Magic Trackpad 2 to a Windows 11 laptop and it had worked fine for months. Then I connected it to a Windows 10 laptop and it worked there as well.

Then I went back to the first laptop and it wouldn't pair. There was no Connect button next to the device in the Bluetooth settings, so I tried removing it and then clicked Add Device to re-add it. But it never showed up in the device list. Worked fine via a cable, but I couldn't get Bluetooth to work at all.

Finally came across invisibleland's post, and the 5X on-off dance worked like a charm. The Magic Trackpad showed up in the device list and I could re-add it, at long last.

Reactions: malcbo

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I didn’t have the MacBook Pro handy that my Magic Trackpad and Keyboard were paired with, so on a whim I tried turning the power switch off and on five times on each device and they magically showed up in my Bluetooth settings and I was able to pair them with my iPad Pro.
So this is how to reset them? What about the battery low alerts. I don't think they work anymore with the new Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Keyboard Touch ID.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Oh finally got a low batter alert on the Magic Trackpad. It was down to 2% before the alert came. Good thing I can still use it while plugged in to the iMac. Unlike the Magic Mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.