Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mywar2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
central Cali.
I cant figure out how to get MAIL to grab my mail from HOTMAIL... I know it's something way easy but I can't figure it out... I think the problem is that I don't know the host name: " mail.mac.com" or the "smtp" ahhh or whatever...
PLease help.. Thanks!

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
hotmail uses proprietary protocals, only outlook express and entourage can retrieve hotmail.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
hotmail sucks

a mac.com address is just as free as hotmail is, except it doesnt promote microsoft at the end of every email. it also doesnt recieve nearly as much junk mail as hotmail (in fact, ive used my mac.com address for about a year now and ive only recieved 2 junk emails) and can be accessed through pop on just about any computer. the only downside is that apple doesnt let you check your email with a browser so you have to set up your account before u can use it on new computers. if at all possible, i really recommend a mac.com email address to a hotmail address. REALLY!

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Mac.com .. a good option.

I just switched to mac.com, and it's awesome.. The setup is totally easy within Mail.app, and it's true, I haven't received a single junkmail since I did.

I think for self-respecting Mac users, Hotmail is heresy!

mywar2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
central Cali.
yeah guys...

I have a mac.com address but.... 99% of my mail goes to the hotmail account that I've had for 2 years... Outlook on 9.1 worked fine for getting hotmail, hence the frustration with MAIL. Well, Thanks for the info.

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
Mac.Com rocks!

I snapped my address up as soon as the service was avail. I have had excellent luck with mac.com. I too have received only two junk mailings in the past year.

If you do get a junk mailing at mac.com, be sure to report it to abuse@mac.com. Let's protect a great thing!

M1

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
Re: yeah guys...

Originally posted by mywar2000
I have a mac.com address but.... 99% of my mail goes to the hotmail account that I've had for 2 years... Outlook on 9.1 worked fine for getting hotmail, hence the frustration with MAIL. Well, Thanks for the info.

So your frustration is misdirected. I would be frustrated with the mail service for making you use thier service for free, (get you hooked) then make it hard to quit . . .kind of like the tobacco industry huh?
My wife just migrated all her friends to her new email (mac.com) and quit using Outlook. We are enjoying OSX international very much. I log in and get system and apps in english. She logs in and gets Japanese. Same system and apps. Amazing. Try that with that other OS!

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Just a thought...

Don't know if you've ever checked out webmail.com, but it can retrieve your mac.com e-mail (or any POP account) using any browser. It's free, and it's got nothing to do with M$. What more could you want?

CJM

macplus

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
mac.com

I have to agree, a mac.com address is the only way to go. I joined hotmail in '97 before MS ever got their claws on it, now I receive 30+ spams a day. I need to break all ties with MS once and for all ;)

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
webmail.com

Not sure what was going on, but they seem to be up and running now. I just had it work in NS 6.2 and IE 5.1.

CJM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.