Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you having problems using Apple Mail with any third party mail clients?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Yes, with Apple Mail

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
As of March 15th at 1:30pm MDT I can no longer get mail as I have for 20 years through a third party app which was long before Apple had their own. So I had to find my own. I now get a message that I would get when Apples servers were having problems. I pray that this is temporary. I called Apple and all the Senior Tech Rep did was argue with me. I can use the Apple Mail client but it is so lacking in features and I have 20 years of mail in a format that Apple doesn't support. But the free third party app no my $39 Android tablet works. Apple still has the page with all the settings for third party apps and I have checked and rechecked and all my settings are as Apple says they should be and have been since their last changes.

I wonder what Apple is up to now that they, as usual, are not telling us until enough people complain.

Just wondering if anyone else out there is having any problems?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As of March 15th at 1:30pm MDT I can no longer get mail as I have for 20 years through a third party app which was long before Apple had their own. So I had to find my own. I now get a message that I would get when Apples servers were having problems. I pray that this is temporary. I called Apple and all the Senior Tech Rep did was argue with me. I can use the Apple Mail client but it is so lacking in features and I have 20 years of mail in a format that Apple doesn't support. But the free third party app no my $39 Android tablet works. Apple still has the page with all the settings for third party apps and I have checked and rechecked and all my settings are as Apple says they should be and have been since their last changes.

I wonder what Apple is up to now that they, as usual, are not telling us until enough people complain.

Just wondering if anyone else out there is having any problems?
So what mail provider are we talking about? What app is it not working in? Is this in relation to macOS or iOS?

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Apple/Mac Mail on macOS no longer works with Entourage, Outlook or Thunderbird.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Apple/Mac Mail is a service and part of iCloud and the @ suffixes being points of evolution of the service. A Mail Client is software that allows you to access these services such as "Mail" the Apple client, Entourage, Outlook & Thunderbird. And @mac.com which may say, they imply, it still supports IMAP, although SMTP works still works for me, but IMAP has stopped working or I wouldn't be here and would not have had an argument with Apple when they wouldn't come out and say there are problems, as in the past they did the same thing, as are being seen on DownDetector. They never do and I trust soon it'll leak out that Apple changed things again. They may say they support

What I am saying is that it looks like they, Apple, is again, is seems, phasing out third party apps. Although I pray it's another hiccup that they will not talk about and will be up again soon. Fingers Crossed. I have the top three/four and only the Apple Mail (a Mom & Pop app) works. Along with a free junky app on my $39 Android tablet.

Remember, if it comes out they made another move, I said it here first.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
"No they are not!" They have been working just fine since Apple dropped POP and up until 1:30pm on the 15th. They are the same as they have been for years and exactly as it states on that page, where I went to long before coming here, that I have had book marked since they put it up. I have sent it to clients time and time again and it's worked for third party mail clients just fine.
[doublepost=1489958933][/doublepost]If the person that chose "No" in the survey reads this, what "Third Party eMail Client" are you using?

Baron015

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
Apple/Mac Mail is a service and part of iCloud and the @ suffixes being points of evolution of the service. A Mail Client is software that allows you to access these services such as "Mail" the Apple client, Entourage, Outlook & Thunderbird. And @mac.com which may say, they imply, it still supports IMAP, although SMTP works still works for me, but IMAP has stopped working or I wouldn't be here and would not have had an argument with Apple when they wouldn't come out and say there are problems, as in the past they did the same thing, as are being seen on DownDetector. They never do and I trust soon it'll leak out that Apple changed things again. They may say they support

What I am saying is that it looks like they, Apple, is again, is seems, phasing out third party apps. Although I pray it's another hiccup that they will not talk about and will be up again soon. Fingers Crossed. I have the top three/four and only the Apple Mail (a Mom & Pop app) works. Along with a free junky app on my $39 Android tablet.

Remember, if it comes out they made another move, I said it here first.

So you say Apple Mail is the imap/smtp mail service *and* the mail client.. Well that's really cleared things up.

Anyway it's working with Outlook for me. So guess the problems are your end, as the service tech told you.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
My iCloud/@Mac emails work fine in Spark.

To clarify, iCloud is the service and Apple Mail is the Mac/iOS client but all is working fine on my end.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
RESOLVED: If it weren't for the fact that I have 20 years of contacts, notes and mail in this app it wouldn't be a big deal. Changed everything that was sending to Mac.com to one of my personal addresses that I have complete control over. Set up Apple "Mail" to redirect to an address that I made for this from personal accounts and had it delete the mail in the Apple app after redirecting. It would be nice if I could forward it in iCloud. But then Apple wouldn't have control over it. I remember the old days when we wanted IMAP Apple wouldn't allow it, POP only. Then IMAP only and all these huge cloud servers pop up. I learned the biz when you could have cloud servers, but you didn't because of hacking.

Then did get Mac.com to work with Thunderbird, it was quite nice how it set itself up. Did this once before but didn't stick with it because at the time TB wouldn't import all my stuff from the other client. I may still play with other clients and settings. I should have moved ages ago. Just thought I could hold out a little longer. I should have followed the rules that I make my employees follow. Oh well, just an inconvenience that a Boat Drink and a Xanax will fix.

Last edited:

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
MORE RESOLVED: I knew it was there and I finally stumbled on it, the easiest way to deal with this. Way back I had all mac.com mail forwarded and couldn't find how to do it in the new iCloud Mail page. Well at the bottom is a cog and it'll take you to preferences. There's two(ish) prefs areas. In there is Forwarding with my main personal address already listed. So I've used it before and I think it was the last time Apple played with things and I had mail issues. I also selected to delete mail after forwarding so it doesn't clog up my account and Apple can't data mine it. So all my anguish could have been settled with being able to have found that option a bit easier. Oh and since I can still send, it's almost like it was before, but even easier now.

Sorry to have bothered you. (But there are words of wisdom and warning here)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.