Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PapaPiccolino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
Hi everyone.

I'm using OS 10.11 El Capitan with all updates. I use Apple Mail as my email client. The great majority of images in my emails show up correctly, but for some reason there are certain senders where the images show as empty boxes with the blue/white question mark in the center. One sender where this happens is my daughter's school - all the emails from them have this problem. The same with two other senders - all the emails from them also have this problem. As I said, the great majority of my emails (from dozens and dozens of different senders) show up fine.

Any tips on how to solve this would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Maybe there's some specific image format type? Have you tried to open it on another device? And be cautious unless you're trust senders, because there's a possibility to hide script into picture, or even executable file

PapaPiccolino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
Hi. Thanks for that.

I’ve done some more digging around, and it seems like the problem emails are confirmation emails for purchases from several different resellers. I’m guessing that all these resellers use the same or similar e-commerce software, or maybe a plugin / extension to this software, that helps them generate confirmation emails, and that my older Mac OS may not be supported by this software / plugin. The marketing / promotional emails from all these sellers appear fine.

I did forward a few test emails to my daughter (using the most current Mac OS) and my wife (using Windows) and the emails appear fine on their computers. So I guess the problem is on my end.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.