Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gvanwesep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2024
In Apple Mail, in the Preview pane, TO appears before the email subject line. Usually, but not always. In one email, the TO was replaced by CC. Why?
%22TO%22.jpg

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've never seen that and can't find an option relating to it, but my guess is that it's indicating messages addressed directly to you (as opposed to a mailing list, for example).

Reactions: Bigwaff

gvanwesep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2024
Thanks. That would make sense, although it appeared in an odd location i.e. just before the subject line in the preview pane. Just to add to the mystery, I just now have realized that those mysterious TO annotations in front of the subject line in the preview pane in Apple Mail are only present on my MacBook Air. They are not present on my iMac. Both machines are running Sonoma 14.4.1. The plot thickens!!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've never seen that and can't find an option relating to it
Actually, I just found it while looking for something else. It's in the View menu under "Show To/Cc Label". As far as I can tell it's not documented in the help file, so I can still only guess what it actually does.

Reactions: gilby101

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania

gvanwesep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2024
So, the phenomenon I'm describing is present in Apple Mail on my MacBook Air but not on my iMac. Both running the same OS. The "Show To/CC Label" switch is an iOS thing, not a MacOS thing near as I can tell. Please let me know if I'm missing something here, but I think the dilemma remains.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
The "Show To/CC Label" switch is an iOS thing, not a MacOS thing near as I can tell.
On a Mac with Apple Mail running, go to the Mail menus at top left. Choose View menu and go down about 8 lines to "Show To/CC Label". Select or unselect. macOS 14.4.1

gvanwesep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2024
Perfect!! Thank you!! I was looking in Preferences with predictably unhappy results. Problem/mystery solved! 🙏

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.