Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Has it played on my mac? NO, as I have never had a copy, years ago, I had a desktop PC, and a dvd/cd rom legit version of Red Alert 2, long since lost, and I never thought about it again, now years later I really feel like playing it again, I love the game play, the story, the interactiveness of the game...

I am not all that into how to do virtualization, parallel desktops, etc, I use mac os x High Sierra as my daily driver, mostly out of convenience, but the biggest problem, I cannot find a cd/dvd version of the game here, nothing online, we don't have ebay here, some random clone sites, but really I don't trust them, we have loads of shops selling Xbox games, ps games, nothing 32bit...for obvious reasons...

Yes it is easy to type "do this or that.." ok, then talk me through it, as you would your gran... It may be easy for you, does not mean easy for me... Why not help to educate?? This is not only about me, about others as well, you never know who might read this in a year or more?

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Has it played on my mac? NO, as I have never had a copy, years ago, I had a desktop PC, and a dvd/cd rom legit version of Red Alert 2, long since lost, and I never thought about it again, now years later I really feel like playing it again, I love the game play, the story, the interactiveness of the game...

I am not all that into how to do virtualization, parallel desktops, etc, I use mac os x High Sierra as my daily driver, mostly out of convenience, but the biggest problem, I cannot find a cd/dvd version of the game here, nothing online, we don't have ebay here, some random clone sites, but really I don't trust them, we have loads of shops selling Xbox games, ps games, nothing 32bit...for obvious reasons...

Yes it is easy to type "do this or that.." ok, then talk me through it, as you would your gran... It may be easy for you, does not mean easy for me... Why not help to educate?? This is not only about me, about others as well, you never know who might read this in a year or more?
Nobody sells CD PC games anymore. It's hard to even find a PC case that has room for a disc drive. You can still buy Red Alert 2 from EA digitally in a pack with all the other old C&C games for like $30-40 through the EA app. You can also find backups of the CDs on archive.org to replace your lost ones.

You can set up an XP or Windows 2000 VM using something like UTM. Or install Windows 11 with Parallels. There's loads of guides out there for doing those things which are a web search away.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden

I find this whole thread a bit confusing and your comments contradicting. First you complain about lack of games for Apple Silicon and sound as if there are no new game releases but when I listed many new games you say it’s not your type of games. You mention Snowrunner as an example you would want to play but when I say it’s coming to Mac you say for you it’s not about graphics and you love Red Alert and train simulators.

You say ”I would, and am itching to play, spend money.... Invest in upgrades, wheels, etc” but you still have an old Mac with High Sierra 10.13 as your daily driver ”out of convenience” and blame it on lack of games for Apple Silicon. You want games on Apple Silicon but don’t even have a Mac to play newer games? You certainly can’t play Snowrunner on your old Mac with High Sierra. I don’t really understand the complaining when you don’t even have a new Mac to play with. At the same time you want Tim Apple ”dropping a Dollar or 2 on an old catalogue of 32bit games”?

You get annoyed by people suggesting other solutions like Windows/Bootcamp, Parallels, VMware and Crossover and say you don’t want to discuss those solutions but at the same time ask where you can find those solutions and want to be talked through it and educated and get annoyed by people only mentioning those solutions and not explaining?

So let’s get some things straight. It’s obvious that you want to play C&C Red Alert 2 and Yuri’s Revenge since you keep mentioning them but the problem is that those were never ported to Mac. So it’s not about Apple, lack of support for 32-bit games or other reasons mentioned. Those two games simply don’t exist on Mac and never did. That makes is even harder, if not impossible to bring them to Mac. The whole franchise is also owned by Electronic Arts which abandoned Mac a long time ago (except for The Sims).

So if you want to play the games your solution is using a PC, a Mac with Bootcamp or virtualization. You said you have Steam. You can find C&C Remastered Collection and Red Alert 3 there. EA has also The Ultimate Collection with 10 games including Red Alert 2 but all those games are for Win, not Mac. There is also a solution with Portingkit on Mac. Hardly any game nowadays has physical copies. You rent games like movies, TV shows and music, you don’t own them because the publisher can remove the games from the servers anytime they want. That’s the reality we’re living in now.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Hi, thanks for the replay, where on Steam is Red Alert 2? I cannot find it? Red Alert 3, that is a very different game, not the one I want.. Yuri's revenge is a add on, never played it personally, see great things about it...

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Hi, thanks for the replay, where on Steam is Red Alert 2? I cannot find it? Red Alert 3, that is a very different game, not the one I want.. Yuri's revenge is a add on, never played it personally, see great things about it...

It's not on Steam, only 1 and 3 are as you can see if you follow the links. As I wrote Red Alert 2 is a part of the Ultimate Collection on EA Store.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
I cannot find any mention of Red Alert 2, only 3, and 3 is terrible, maybe why it is still available.. RA2 is not part of any collection.. And a search for original disks, cheaper to buy a car than a 32bit game... Any way thanks for all the help...

Queen6

macrumors G4
Interesting, not red alert 2 though...
No but maybe in time, just depends on the status of the game. Devs are pretty mindful not to cross the line, so the games have either had their source code released, are free or firmly classed as being abandoned.

Example Doom 3 on the dhewm3 engine with modded graphics

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishman

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
It is almost 25 yrs old, you would have thought time enough to let the game go off into the ether, let others have a go with the code, or if not then welcome to 2023... I had demo's of the other games, and they were just awful. RA2 was brilliant, if I could find a local disk here, I would buy it, I am not paying R1000 for a game, that is just insane..

There are options like "porting kit" that say it is available, but it is not..really all this effort for a 32bit game that is 24 yrs old next month..

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
I cannot find any mention of Red Alert 2, only 3, and 3 is terrible, maybe why it is still available.. RA2 is not part of any collection.. And a search for original disks, cheaper to buy a car than a 32bit game... Any way thanks for all the help...
It is. Here is a screenshot of the store page for "The Ultimate Collection" Homy and others mentioned from the EA app. I highlighted the relevant bit to make it easy for you. It contains C&C: Red Alert 1-3. The hyphen means "through", it includes Red Alert 1 through 3. That includes 2. You can tell this is true because it says "10 base games" and if you don't include 2 then it's not 10. It also includes the expansion.
stupid.png

And as I already told you backups of the original discs are on archive.org.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
i would love if command and conquer was 64bitted and added to apple arcade. i find it hard to justify taking a sub to apple arcade as when ive tried it, the games i ended up playing had free versions or there were similar apps with free.

apple (imho) showed a slight change of direction when Football Manager Touch came on apple arcade. suddenly if you wanted the simple version you could buy it, if you wanted the more complex version you had to have apple arcade. i did for a few months but then i was thinking if this is the only game i play then im paying €60 a year for Football Manager Touch, the layout was crap on my iphone, and id paid €50 already for Football Manager on my mac. The idea though of having some bigger games available to suppliment the simple but fun games and the attractive but boring games was good.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
I cannot find any information or a page like that, online that is.. There is no buy Red Alert 2, that is all I really need, either a download version or the actual disks, cd or dvd, that has the licence printed..

Reactions: Irishman

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
I cannot find any information or a page like that, online that is.. There is no buy Red Alert 2, that is all I really need, either a download version or the actual disks, cd or dvd, that has the licence printed..

EA's page is a bit messy. I discovered that on my Mac you can see the Ultimate Collection but on my iPhone there is no trace of it. This is what you see on your computer but is missing if you visit the page on your phone.

Skärmavbild 2023-09-25 kl. 17.52.20.png

As you can see you have to use EA App to purchase the collection. There seems to be no way to only buy Red Alert 2 anywhere. Here is what it looks like in the app:

ska-rmavbild-2023-09-25-kl-17-48-39-png.2280502

Skärmavbild 2023-09-25 kl. 17.50.03.png

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2023-09-25 kl. 17.48.39.png
    Skärmavbild 2023-09-25 kl. 17.48.39.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 178
Reactions: Mackilroy

Queen6

macrumors G4
Only way is to seek out the original disks. Dont care for E.A.'s stance on this, just a cash grab, but hardly a surprise...

Q-6

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Yes, they are pretty much like extremely unobtainium...you know it exists, heard the tales of still in box...but where? A land faraway, behind ICE, has this thing called an E bay, electronic bay, where magic happens, and you can find all manner n kind of unobtainium...like cd versions of RA 2... We don't have this electronic bay here.. We have BOB...

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
If anyone has the cd/dvd of Red Alert 2, with the code I would love to have the cd.. I am in South Africa..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.