Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Is there any way to tell Apple Maps to not use HOV lanes? It's certainly the fastest way for me to get to work in the morning, yet I can't drive in the HOV lanes or use the HOV exits.

At least Google Maps and Waze allow you to select HOV lanes (or at least default to not using them).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
No. File feedback with Apple.

Would you also mind showing me the highway where this is a problem for you, I'll also post feedback for you. I've wondered about this issue however the HOV lanes when I live don't go far enough from the normal highway for this to be an issue so I never had an issue. We have a express lane though that everything (Garmin, Google, Apple, etc) tries to direct me toward even when I don't need/want it.

Just to clarify express lane(s). Its a toll road your tax dollars paid for that adds lanes to a highway that your tax dollars paid for but they charge you a few bucks extra to go around the tax payers stuck in traffic on the undersized highway due to poor planning. Bitter? Me? Naahhhhh......

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Just to clarify express lane(s). Its a toll road your tax dollars paid for that adds lanes to a highway that your tax dollars paid for but they charge you a few bucks extra to go around the tax payers stuck in traffic on the undersized highway due to poor planning. Bitter? Me? Naahhhhh......

HOV lanes are sections of the roadway that prioritize carpool traffic. Every one of those vehicles would be 3 or 4 vehicles on the road if everyone had made the choice to drive alone.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Yeah in Phoenix it just needs to be two persons in the car. Apple Maps always wants me to exit I-10 west at 3rd street because my office is on 3rd, but that is an HOV-only exit so I need to exit on 7th St. not a big difference but it can mean an extra 20 minutes of driving depending upon the route I take to get to 7th St. Since the app always wants me to take the 3rd St exit, it doesn’t factor alternate, non-HOV routes well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah in Phoenix it just needs to be two persons in the car. Apple Maps always wants me to exit I-10 west at 3rd street because my office is on 3rd, but that is an HOV-only exit so I need to exit on 7th St. not a big difference but it can mean an extra 20 minutes of driving depending upon the route I take to get to 7th St. Since the app always wants me to take the 3rd St exit, it doesn’t factor alternate, non-HOV routes well.
That's interesting how different parts of the country handle things like that. In many places HOV is basically just a dedicated lane on the highway and while there can be some exits/entrances that have HOV support, they are still something in addition to the regular exit/entrance at that location that all vehicles can take (of course with perhaps some truck or similar restrictions that can apply).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
HOV lanes are sections of the roadway that prioritize carpool traffic. Every one of those vehicles would be 3 or 4 vehicles on the road if everyone had made the choice to drive alone.

Yes I'm aware. We have them but it the way they are routed doesn't affect navigation because they are so close to the non HOV lanes....for me in my area. I was explaining our Express Toll Lanes for those that are unfamiliar with them and they will cause my satnav apps/devices to go a bit wonky.

Reactions: ignatius345

AManInACan

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2015
Yes I'm aware. We have them but it the way they are routed doesn't affect navigation because they are so close to the non HOV lanes....for me in my area. I was explaining our Express Toll Lanes for those that are unfamiliar with them and they will cause my satnav apps/devices to go a bit wonky.

I think that you are overlooking the fact that even though they share the same route (by being the next adjacent lane from the regular lanes) toll and HOV lanes are sometimes moving 60 MPH faster than the regular lanes. This can affect the routing if it's calculating the "shortest time" route and assumes you can go 60 MPH in the HOV lane when, in fact, you are solo driving and must stay in the stop and go of the regular lane.

I commute 25 miles each way and any app that doesn't specifically tell me which type of lanes it's expecting me to drive in and that leaves me guessing whether I can meet the expected time or not.

I should note that Waze seems to do pretty good at getting the speeds right for both types of lanes and allows you to pick which type of lanes you will use to get where you need.

Reactions: AnthroMatt

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think that you are overlooking the fact that even though they share the same route (by being the next adjacent lane from the regular lanes) toll and HOV lanes are sometimes moving 60 MPH faster than the regular lanes. This can affect the routing if it's calculating the "shortest time" route and assumes you can go 60 MPH in the HOV lane when, in fact, you are solo driving and must stay in the stop and go of the regular lane.

I commute 25 miles each way and any app that doesn't specifically tell me which type of lanes it's expecting me to drive in and that leaves me guessing whether I can meet the expected time or not.

I should note that Waze seems to do pretty good at getting the speeds right for both types of lanes and allows you to pick which type of lanes you will use to get where you need.
I don't think I've ever really had routing timing being calculated by the ability to bypass traffic via something like HOV lanes, given that plenty of times in many locations HOV can move just as slowly as the traffic around it, for example. Strange that it would somehow differentiate that somewhere, not even necessarily sure how it would given that traffic data isn't likely to be separated by lanes really (at least certainly not in most places).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

No I'm not. I'm not debating that there is or isn't an issue. But for me I haven't noticed a problem. This is why I was asking for a specific location so I can just see how the roads vary from what I've experienced local to me.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
On this Google Maps page you can see toll roads running parallel to two different interstate highways. The tolls for these roads is variable. When I drive down to DC, I pass through a toll tunnel in Baltimore but I don't want to get on those toll roads in the DC area and have to ignore the instructions to get on the toll roads. As has been stated, this completely screws up a "fastest route" calculation...and even on Google Maps.

Deb_Em

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
College Park, MD
No. File feedback with Apple.

Would you also mind showing me the highway where this is a problem for you, I'll also post feedback for you. I've wondered about this issue however the HOV lanes when I live don't go far enough from the normal highway for this to be an issue so I never had an issue. We have a express lane though that everything (Garmin, Google, Apple, etc) tries to direct me toward even when I don't need/want it.

[doublepost=1538052654][/doublepost]Hi - I searched using the HOV question and go into this link. I don't need it very often but I actually don't know how to get to Dulles from where I work (near DC). I think I'll be going to pick my friend up near rush hour and 66 is HOV most of the way. Where do I post feedback? My phone hooks up to my car (with iMaps) if it is going to be this kind of a service it should understand Toll Roads AND HOV! Right? And going to Dulles has both...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
[doublepost=1538052654][/doublepost]Hi - I searched using the HOV question and go into this link. I don't need it very often but I actually don't know how to get to Dulles from where I work (near DC). I think I'll be going to pick my friend up near rush hour and 66 is HOV most of the way. Where do I post feedback? My phone hooks up to my car (with iMaps) if it is going to be this kind of a service it should understand Toll Roads AND HOV! Right? And going to Dulles has both...

https://www.apple.com/feedback/maps_ios.html

There are options to avoid toll roads in the map app. You'll need to goto settings > maps > Driving & Navigation then toggle on avoid tolls. I'm not sure if this will avoid HOV tolls or not (I think it should and if it doesn't it should be mentioned in feedback). Although just driving by them will recalculate.

BTW for your trip just leave an hour early take i95 north to VA-267 and you'll start seeing signs for dulles international. From there its going to be a left exit right into the airport. I think parking is free under 1 hour so if you make good time just meet your friend at the gate. If they are really good and patient friend leave on time and have them wait at the curb so you can just pick them up. I was browsing this forum sitting on my suitcase at Baltimore Washing International 3 hours ago for friend to pick me up for about an hour (stuck in traffic) but I would happily wait then rent a car, taxi, uber etc etc...

Deb_Em

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
College Park, MD
https://www.apple.com/feedback/maps_ios.html

There are options to avoid toll roads in the map app. You'll need to goto settings > maps > Driving & Navigation then toggle on avoid tolls. I'm not sure if this will avoid HOV tolls or not (I think it should and if it doesn't it should be mentioned in feedback). Although just driving by them will recalculate.

BTW for your trip just leave an hour early take i95 north to VA-267 and you'll start seeing signs for dulles international. From there its going to be a left exit right into the airport. I think parking is free under 1 hour so if you make good time just meet your friend at the gate. If they are really good and patient friend leave on time and have them wait at the curb so you can just pick them up. I was browsing this forum sitting on my suitcase at Baltimore Washing International 3 hours ago for friend to pick me up for about an hour (stuck in traffic) but I would happily wait then rent a car, taxi, uber etc etc...

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.