Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeXT MacRumors

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
How much data do you think an apple or google maps app takes up on a 1hr road trip using standard view (not satellite/hybrid view) on a T-mobile iPad?

nathreed

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2014
United States
Apple maps does not use nearly that much. As long as you have no apps running in the background also using data, you should be in the range of 5-8 MB as long as you don't reload the map and just let it load what it needs to on its own. If you don't already have it, I would recommend the My Data Manager app if you are worried about your data consumption.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
How much data do you think an apple or google maps app takes up on a 1hr road trip using standard view (not satellite/hybrid view) on a T-mobile iPad?

You want to use Apple maps and not even launch the Google maps app. Google maps is a data pig compared to Apple maps. I just spent 10 days in Italy using my iPhone as a GPS, trust me on this.

Apple maps also allows you to pre-load a map before you arrive at your destination; do this on Wi-Fi the night before, don't close the Apple map, and you will save a lot of data upon your first launch.

BJ

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You want to use Apple maps and not even launch the Google maps app. Google maps is a data pig compared to Apple maps. I just spent 10 days in Italy using my iPhone as a GPS, trust me on this.

Apple maps also allows you to pre-load a map before you arrive at your destination; do this on Wi-Fi the night before, don't close the Apple map, and you will save a lot of data upon your first launch.

BJ
You can pre-load/save map data with Google Maps as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.