Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
How do I search for say, hotels or dining if I’m planning a trip, e.g. near another address I know? Maps seems to ONLY return searches for where I am currently at.

If I plug in a different city, then search say pizza, it will find the closest pizza place to my CURRENT location. This is not what I want.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
If I open Maps and move the display to another city and do a search for "Hotels", it displays hotels in that city. Or if I search "Hotels Seattle", it shows hotels in Seattle. Is that what you're trying to do?

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
That’s the reason I still use Open Street Maps or Google Maps when Apple Maps have the best satellite maps.

Steps to reproduce:
1) Scroll map somewhere else
2) Type something in search
3) It will search in area next to you
To see it somewhere else had to scroll again somewhere else

Stupid

thetwentyone

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2023
I just scrolled half a country away, put in “restaurants”, hit the “search” button on the keyboard and it showed me results in my immediate vicinity.

Reactions: gcoghill

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I just scrolled half a country away, put in “restaurants”, hit the “search” button on the keyboard and it showed me results in my immediate vicinity.

I found that simply scrolling there is not enough - you have to tap the new area you have scrolled to. Just tried that in multiple locations on both my M1 12.9 iPad and 14 Pro Max phone and I get results in that area I tapped.

Reactions: Tagbert

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
The way I get around this is if you zoom into the location and then press the "search" button on the keyboard instead of interacting with the suggestions. It's super annoying but that seems to work for everything but apple stores.

gcoghill

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Ohio
They key is to use that blue "Search" button on the virtual keyboard.

I had been tapping the "search nearby" menu result which just forces the search in your surrounding area based on GPS location.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
What I would like to find is an app to check vehicular traffic in any given city so I can check aforehand.

Most seem to require having location services turned on and I would wish to plan a route in another city before traveling there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.