Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PSeg90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2020
St Petersburg, FL
I've been experiencing issues with CarPlay while using Apple Maps. If I am navigating somewhere but click into another CarPlay app, when I go back to Maps, it crashes on my phone and ends navigation. This has been happening for the last 2 developer betas and yes I have reported these to the Feedback app, but I was just wondering if other people are having the same issues?

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
I have the same problem, and it’s been happening for weeks, just as you describe.

it happens consistently when returning to the maps app in carplay, while the maps app is providing route guidance to a destination, after switching to a full screen view of any other app.

the good news is that subsequently tapping the map app icon on the left panel will quickly relaunch the app, and automatically restart navigation to the same destination. So the damage has been minimal. It can be a little tricky if this happens right before a complicated intersection that requires taking a turn or exit.

FYI, I often run with split screen view (ie Dashboard) and usually see this problem when returning to that split view from another app. i have no idea if it would happen less if I avoided split screen view entirely. I’m using an iPhone 12 Pro max.

just yesterday I was thinking that I have to see if others are discussing this, so I was happy to notice your post when I got to this forum just now.

Last edited:

shabagiuly

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
I have the same problem, and it’s been happening for weeks, just as you describe.

it happens consistently when returning to the maps app in carplay, while the maps app is providing route guidance to a destination, after switching to a full screen view of any other app.

the good news is that subsequently tapping the map app icon on the left panel will quickly relaunch the app, and automatically restart navigation to the same destination. So the damage has been minimal. It can be a little tricky if this happens right before a complicated intersection that requires taking a turn or exit.

FYI, I often run with split screen view (ie Dashboard) and usually see this problem when returning to that split view from another app. i have no idea if it would happen less if I avoided split screen view entirely. I’m using an iPhone 12 Pro max.

just yesterday I was thinking that I have to see if others are discussing this, so I was happy to notice your post when I got to this forum just now.
What is your phone model ? Also could you please report the problem to Apple on https://www.apple.com/feedback/ ?

shabagiuly

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
You missed it, but as I mentioned above, and as appearing in your quote of my message, I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max
Yes, sorry about that ! It’s important to write a feedback to Apple, the more we are to do it, the more likely they are to solve the issue.

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
It’s important to write a feedback to Apple, the more we are to do it, the more likely they are to solve the issue.
Agreed.

I just reported it to apple feedback under the iOS software > Maps category, making clear that I see this only in CarPlay and that I've only personally seen it when returning to split screen view at a time when maps is already providing route guidance to a destination. I hope others will do the same.

shabagiuly

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
So, after my feedback Apple answered to me to have more details about the bug. I sent them a video of the thing and the diagnose file. Hope they will understand what is happening !

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
I’ve been having this issue for a while as well. iPhone XS currently running on 14.5 public beta (though I think I’ve been seeing this issue since before 14.5).

I’m not 100% sure, but I’m starting to think the crash on return to Maps only occurs when using third party audio apps, in my case Overcast most often. When using the Music or Apple Podcasts app, I don’t believe I’ve seen the crash occur.

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
I’ve been having this issue for a while as well. iPhone XS currently running on 14.5 public beta (though I think I’ve been seeing this issue since before 14.5).

I’m not 100% sure, but I’m starting to think the crash on return to Maps only occurs when using third party audio apps, in my case Overcast most often. When using the Music or Apple Podcasts app, I don’t believe I’ve seen the crash occur.
It's happened to me several times upon returning from Apple's message app, (after listening to an incoming message and dictating a reply, all via the carplay UI), as well as after using Audible full screen and Overcast.

shabagiuly

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014

I have the issue since the beginning of iOS 14 but it’s the first time Apple answered me to have more details. No specific pattern for me, it could happen with every app I open.

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
After installing iOS 14.5 public beta 7, I have not seen this issue occur. It’s only been a day, so may be a coincidence. Curious if anyone else is seeing similar behavior.

shabagiuly

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
I didn’t tried yet but I will ! They asked me information and video of the issue one month ago so maybe have they fixed it now.

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
So I just tried with iOS 14.5.1 and still the same thing. It’s a shame.
Yes.. the issue returned for me in all versions (production and beta) of 14.5. But good news. I can say with certainty that the issue is fixed in the 14.6 betas. I haven’t had a CarPlay Maps crash in over 2 weeks!

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Not Apple Maps but as of this morning i noticed that my Apple Music app is crashing. Maps launch fine.

seems like it’s happening to a lot of people. Also on 14.5.1.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Maps works fine for me but the Music app crashes now. Just started today for me.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I have an Apple Maps crash every time I switch to messages, have Siri read a message out loud, then use Siri for a response. As soon as I switch back to maps in CarPlay I get a black screen for ~10 seconds, then a crash back to springboard. It’s driving me crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.