Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2017
Hi, so Apple seems to have rolled out the "Nearby" maps feature in Ireland after a very long wait. however some categories seem to be missing that are shown in an image on Apples website. (Please see the screenshots attached)

So the categories I am missing is the "Fast Food", "Hotels" etc.

why is this the case, its hardly normal behaviour

any help greatly appreciated

thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 00.40.40.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 00.40.40.png
    454.8 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_4073 2.PNG
    IMG_4073 2.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 151

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
Hi, so Apple seems to have rolled out the "Nearby" maps feature in Ireland after a very long wait. however some categories seem to be missing that are shown in an image on Apples website. (Please see the screenshots attached)

So the categories I am missing is the "Fast Food", "Hotels" etc.

why is this the case, its hardly normal behaviour

any help greatly appreciated

thanks
I don’t know about hotels, but if you click on Restaurants, it should have more options on the next screen. I don’t see hotels on mine either (US version).

I should say, I think hotels does pop up when you have selected driving directions, as one of the nearby options then. You can choose a hotel on your route while you’re driving.

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2017
yes when I click restaurants I see a list of restaurants. is there a reason why they change. is is possible they change based on where you are at that exact time so like if youre in an area which has no hotels anywhere near will it not show it but if you are in an area with a hotel near it should show, or should it show regardless

Thanks

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
yes when I click restaurants I see a list of restaurants. is there a reason why they change. is is possible they change based on where you are at that exact time so like if youre in an area which has no hotels anywhere near will it not show it but if you are in an area with a hotel near it should show, or should it show regardless
Thanks
I thought so myself, but I’m currently staying in a hotel, and it doesn’t show up!

Last edited:

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I thought it showed categories based on the time of day as well? So things like pubs, clubs will show up in the evening but in the morning it will show things like cafes for breakfast.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I thought it showed categories based on the time of day as well? So things like pubs, clubs will show up in the evening but in the morning it will show things like cafes for breakfast.

This is BIG part of it...but it is also one of the biggest flaws. When I go on a road trip, the best place for breakfast much of the time IS a fast food restaurant. Maps never seems to include McDonald's when I pick either the breakfast or coffee categories. I know it's not the ideal place for either of those categories versus a Starbucks or true breakfast restaurant, but it's what I want most of the time due to time constraints, having a drive through, etc.

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2017
yeah well this feature just came out here so I haven't fully used it as of yet and how it works but just seems to be missing some categories. but it seems to work well and im excited to use it etc

Thanks

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2017
thats interesting, I never noticed that, but again we only got it recently in Ireland so they could be testing it as its not officially om their feature availability page

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.