Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nic727

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
Hi,

I know that Apple isn’t really reading this forum, but I’m still surprise that Apple is not offering the possibility to download offline maps to use our phone as a GPS without data.

I suggested that through their website and apps, but I don’t know if I’m the only one who suggested that. If we are more requesting that, maybe it will be available?

Thank you

Reactions: RenoDavid

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Maybe, but for now I suggest Google maps or a slew of pretty decent offline maps available for offline use.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I guess due to the fact GPS data for navigation doesn't use much data so that is why they probably didn't want to add such a feature. Google Maps has the option to select a certain area in an offline modus to have stored for 30 days. There are also various other third party navigation apps that have an offline mode in it.

Nic727

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
I guess due to the fact GPS data for navigation doesn't use much data so that is why they probably didn't want to add such a feature. Google Maps has the option to select a certain area in an offline modus to have stored for 30 days. There are also various other third party navigation apps that have an offline mode in it.
Maybe it doesn’t take a lot of data, but I don’t have data plan (too expensive).

djdsas

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2008
Why even use Apple Maps? Google Maps is superior in so many ways.

+1 but I also have Apple Car Play and sometimes its just nice to have a map display on my 10" CarPlay screen. Ideally I would love Google Maps and/or Waze to be Car Play Capable.

Also, my work phone is on Sprint, which doesn't have simultaneous voice and data. If Im on a voice call and navigating with Apple maps, If I go off course, Apple maps won't re route until I get off the voice call! It's nuts!

Reactions: RenoDavid

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
Why even use Apple Maps? Google Maps is superior in so many ways.

Because it works and is integrated into the OS. I understand there may be some places Google Maps is better, but for me I've used Apple Maps without fail the past year in San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco (including transit), New York (transit), Philadelphia, New Jersey and countless times in the Washington DC area. I can ask Siri to find the closest <insert restaurant name> or gas station. I enter my son's travel sports into our Calendar and get notifications for when it's time to leave and can quickly 3D Touch the notification to get directions. So no, for me Google Maps is not superior.

To the OP post, I believe if you start navigation it will download the route for offline use. I know that was the case for iOS 10. My son had a school mountain campus where the last 30 minutes of the trip there was no cell signal. However, maps still worked. Haven't tested it in iOS11 but I can't imagine they removed it. You won't get any reroutes of course.

Nic727

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
Because it works and is integrated into the OS. I understand there may be some places Google Maps is better, but for me I've used Apple Maps without fail the past year in San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco (including transit), New York (transit), Philadelphia, New Jersey and countless times in the Washington DC area. I can ask Siri to find the closest <insert restaurant name> or gas station. I enter my son's travel sports into our Calendar and get notifications for when it's time to leave and can quickly 3D Touch the notification to get directions. So no, for me Google Maps is not superior.

To the OP post, I believe if you start navigation it will download the route for offline use. I know that was the case for iOS 10. My son had a school mountain campus where the last 30 minutes of the trip there was no cell signal. However, maps still worked. Haven't tested it in iOS11 but I can't imagine they removed it. You won't get any reroutes of course.

It works, but it’s not the best way, because sometime you take alternative route and it just don’t follow...

Reactions: rmpbklyn

sola77

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
I wish Apple Maps worked better. I just never had a good experience while using it :(
Waze for life ;)

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
The GPS info goes direct to the phone - it does not use data. The iPhones and iPads that have cellular capabilities have a GPS capability that is part of the chipset. You would use data for the maps though so you should be OK if you use something that downloads maps for you then uses the map plus the GPS location.

Reactions: rmpbklyn

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
Most of you missed the point.

He asks for the ability to preload/cache Apple Maps.

Yes, Google Maps has it. Yes, Google Maps are better.
But that's the point, he suggested an improvement for Apple Maps to be better.

Secondly, you praised CHEAP Internet data or that GPS uses NO data.
Okay, but Apple Maps uses data and when I pay in Poland 5 USD for 20-100 GB of data it's OK.
But when I visit, for example, USA I pay almost 0.5 USD for every 50 kB (kB!!) of download and separately for upload.
So when your Apple Maps app sends a HTTP request, even 1 kB you are getting charger for started 50 kB of upload and immediately for the data it downloads, let's say 2 MB, so it's 40x50kB and I would pay around 25 USD for 2 MB of data using my Polish SIM card while roaming. And let's add some other basic connections like Weather refresh in the background, messenger, iMessage connectivity status, etc.

That's why Google understands that and allows to preload/cache maps for offline use.

Jeez, you can't argue with that guys.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Okay, but Apple Maps uses data and when I pay in Poland 5 USD for 20-100 GB of data it's OK.
But when I visit, for example, USA I pay almost 0.5 USD for every 50 kB (kB!!) of download and separately for upload.
So when your Apple Maps app sends a HTTP request, even 1 kB you are getting charger for started 50 kB of upload and immediately for the data it downloads, let's say 2 MB, so it's 40x50kB and I would pay around 25 USD for 2 MB of data using my Polish SIM card while roaming. And let's add some other basic connections like Weather refresh in the background, messenger, iMessage connectivity status, etc.

That's why Google understands that and allows to preload/cache maps for offline use.

When I went to Iceland, I paid for data so I could use iMessage, weather and Apple maps while I was out and touring. Don’t use google maps.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

I'll never understand why roaming data costs are still suck in the 00s. $25 for 2MB is absolutely insane.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

I'll never understand why roaming data costs are still suck in the 00s. $25 for 2MB is absolutely insane.

You guys have a point there that Apple Maps should definitely implement such a thing if it stays this way in the US. Is America stuck in the 00s? Bizarre those prices per MB/kB.
I can now totally understand what the topic starter is saying.

Untill a few years ago we had unlimited data packages but then we saw that those were going away when the amount of smartphone users went up and the speed increased on 3G/4G. Luckely since a few year we see again unlimited data packages and also cheaper data packages here in Europe e.g. the Netherlands.

For example I'm paying 13 euros a month for 2GB data + 300 minutes/sms (sim-only, without a phone).
We also have packages here for 25 euros with unlimited data, minutes/sms (sim-only, without a phone).

HungryForMore

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2018
You can easily get unlimited data, calls, text messages + unlimited data (globally) and very cheap international calls for $80 in the U.S. so I'd argue whether we're stuck in the 00s :p I don't really have to purchase local SIM cards when I travel. I also have a 1gbit symmetric, fiber connection at home for $80 - afaik none of my European friends have that :p.

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
You can easily get unlimited data, calls, text messages + unlimited data (globally) and very cheap international calls for $80 in the U.S. so I'd argue whether we're stuck in the 00s :p I don't really have to purchase local SIM cards when I travel. I also have a 1gbit symmetric, fiber connection at home for $80 - afaik none of my European friends have that :p.
You still missed the point.

Offline maps are about travelling.

For example when you go on a trip/vacation from Poland to Croatia, Albania. You drive through many different countries and you want your phone to be reliable, with your number so people can contact you, and you don't know Croatia language, Czech Republic language, Austria language, to stop and buy local sim cards everywhere. In Poland you need to show your ID to the seller so that he can activate your SIM card.
https://toomanyadapters.com/buying-sim-card-poland/
"Registering with your passport or national ID card is now mandatory when buying a SIM card in Poland, due to an anti-terrorism act that went into effect around July 2016."
So I wouldn't like to tackle similar issues in Croatian or Czech.

And 80$ is actually very much for some people. We pay 7 USD (taxes included) for unlimited calls and texts messages in (EU) and around 50 GBs of data in Poland and about 1.3-1.7 GB of data for EU. So for 80 USD we could pay for 11 months.

Nic727

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
Well in Canada it’s insane too. Sometimes $60 for 2GB/month.

rmpbklyn

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
Maybe it doesn’t take a lot of data, but I don’t have data plan (too expensive).
thats why you download the offline, you won't need data /wifi
[doublepost=1538853630][/doublepost]
i pay $40/month for 4gb
[doublepost=1538853753][/doublepost]

it does not have map offline , only route

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.