Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Mainstream was what Reader was too. Google doesn't care. They have short lifecycles too often and I've been burned too often. At one point they had four messaging apps to do the job of one! (Duo, Allo, Hangouts and Android Messages)

Inbox was a neat popular product too but it barely lasted a year before they killed it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Mainstream was what Reader was too. Google doesn't care. They have short lifecycles too often and I've been burned too often. At one point they had four messaging apps to do the job of one! (Duo, Allo, Hangouts and Android Messages)

Inbox was a neat popular product too but it barely lasted a year before they killed it.
The mainstream that applies to something like Google Maps or Gmail is on a whole different level and scale compared to something like Reader or Inbox (which was essentially killed off as it was treated more as an experiment platform to bring in certain features into the mainstream Gmail platform).

Reactions: MisterSavage

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Waze all day every day. 36K+ miles per year. 8 yrs now. Nothing comes close.

Google maps is a close second (especially since Google bought Waze and has been stealing features).

Apple Maps is still only one step above garbage — speaking as an Apple fanboy.

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
I should have added that for walking/transit directions or “browsing” an area to look to look for stores/restaurants Google Maps is much better than Waze.

There are dedicated mass transit apps that are better but Google maps (web and app) have always been really strong in this area, in particular with “blended” commutes.

But for driving Google maps is the only thing that comes close to Waze. Google also has an explicit offline mode on the event that reception is a concern.

Though Waze does a decent job caching as well, usually. Unless your in an area with no reception at all (not a concern for me as I live between two large metro areas — NYC and Philly)

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
The mainstream that applies to something like Google Maps or Gmail is on a whole different level and scale compared to something like Reader or Inbox (which was essentially killed off as it was treated more as an experiment platform to bring in certain features into the mainstream Gmail platform).

There was a Gmail before it was called Gmail too. I think it was either Buzz or Wave. Fact is they might not kill the service but any app you use from them will get discontinued and they'll change the name again and again and force you to learn all over again. There was Google Notes before Google Keep, Google Fitness before Google Health, Google Wallet before Google/Android Pay, and so on. Nothing like them breaking features for change for the sake of change; Google just pick SOMETHING and stick with it!

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I should have added that for walking/transit directions or “browsing” an area to look to look for stores/restaurants Google Maps is much better than Waze.

The "AR mode" they added to GM for walking around cities is fantastic.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There was a Gmail before it was called Gmail too. I think it was either Buzz or Wave. Fact is they might not kill the service but any app you use from them will get discontinued and they'll change the name again and again and force you to learn all over again. There was Google Notes before Google Keep, Google Fitness before Google Health, Google Wallet before Google/Android Pay, and so on. Nothing like them breaking features for change for the sake of change; Google just pick SOMETHING and stick with it!
There was Wave which was a collaboration workflow, and Buzz was around which was more of a precursor to Google+, all fairly unrelated to Gmail. Gmail has been Gmail for a long long time now, as has Google Maps. And while there are services they play with and experiment with and kill off, again, ones like Gmail or Google Maps have pretty much transcended most of those and would be much much more complicated down to it being pretty much completely impractical for Google to kill off.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Youtube I wouldn't be surprised to see folded into Google Video soon.

Google Maps used to just be called Maps back in the Android 2.x days. It was a Google product but it was a year or so before they branded it Google Maps.

The redundancy still kills me though. First it was Google Messenger, Google Talk, Hangouts, Allo, now Android Messages. Make up your darned mind Google!

Oh and Google Voice Search, Google Now, Google Now on Tap, Google Assistant.

Google TV, Android TV

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
There’s no clear this or that! Depends on where you live. In big cities both will work just fine.

Google maps will probably work better in suburbs or villages just because they have more data and detailed maps of the entire world. Google also gathers a lot of data from Android users and iOS users if they use google services. This helps them deal with traffic issues better.

On the other hand the integration of Apple maps in iOS is awesome and as usual, just works, when it does work properly. So yeah it completely depends on their coverage over areas and countries.

Recently I returned from India and even google maps is no good there.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
If you live in an area where Apple maps was recently updated it outperforms Google maps in my opinion. I love being told to turn at the next light instead of some random street and getting warnings on stop signs and red lights. However I did a drive last week from DC to Norfolk once you leave the new area Waze and Google become king again.

Reactions: compwiz1202

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
The Android 2.3 'Maps' always took me in the heart of Winston Salem where all the racey traffic was. It also added 9 minutes to the trip.

Back in 2010 my 4 would take me around in a more suburban area there and it took half the time. Not sure if the data is updated on the server side or if it's an app/OS update that does it.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
For walking directions, Apple Maps is atrocious compared to Google Maps. When my wife and were in Europe last year, we used Google Maps exclusively walking around Paris and several cities in Italy. Apple Maps was just a mess.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
googlepopup.jpg

From a driving standpoint, the one feature in Google Maps that I could never give up is the little popup that happens while you're on a route telling you that if you go a different way it will be x minutes faster or slower.

Here in the NYC Metro area, we have so many highways, and it's fantastic to know in a quick glance that if I want to take a road I'm more comfortable with it will only cost me 1 or 2 minutes, I use it for that all the time. Apple Maps lacks this important feature.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
For walking directions, Apple Maps is atrocious compared to Google Maps. When my wife and were in Europe last year, we used Google Maps exclusively walking around Paris and several cities in Italy. Apple Maps was just a mess.
For Walking/transit try citymapper its the waze of walking even tells you where to stand to get a seat on the metro etc.
[automerge]1576003844[/automerge]
googlepopup.jpg

From a driving standpoint, the one feature in Google Maps that I could never give up is the little popup that happens while you're on a route telling you that if you go a different way it will be x minutes faster or slower.

Here in the NYC Metro area, we have so many highways, and it's fantastic to know in a quick glance that if I want to take a road I'm more comfortable with it will only cost me 1 or 2 minutes, I use it for that all the time. Apple Maps lacks this important feature.
Apple maps shows this to me and even has a pop up/sound if its over 5 minutes.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Apple maps shows this to me and even has a pop up/sound if its over 5 minutes.

Explain that to me. How does Apple Maps show you two different roads (roads, not routes) to the same location in the middle of your trip a) as you approach the intersection of two highways and b) without having to tap the screen or do anything at 60 mph.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
S
Explain that to me. How does Apple Maps show you two different roads (roads, not routes) to the same location in the middle of your trip a) as you approach the intersection of two highways and b) without having to tap the screen or do anything at 60 mph.

I have it hooked up to car play so that might make a difference. I think at 5 minutes saved siri will verbally tell me about a faster route and ask for confirmation anything less than that theirs a faint blue line on the route but Ive never tried switching to it while driving since it would be negligible amount anyway.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I have it hooked up to car play so that might make a difference. I think at 5 minutes saved siri will verbally tell me about a faster route and ask for confirmation anything less than that theirs a faint blue line on the route but Ive never tried switching to it while driving since it would be negligible amount anyway.

Yes, that's the traditional way- when there is a faster route, you'll get an audio alert and be given the option to "save 10 minutes" if you tap a button.

That's not the functionality I'm talking about. I'm talking about being alerted when there is a slower route while I'm driving. Let me explain:

Sometimes in a large metropolitan area like NYC you want to take the Northern State Parkway because there are no trucks and you're comfortable with it but the navigation route is telling you to take the Long Island Expressway which is a more challenging drive.

So what you want to know is if taking the road you are more comfortable with is going to get you there at the same time or just a little bit later. That's what Google Maps little pop ups with the +/- minutes on the alternate roads does for you and that's what Apple Maps doesn't do. It's the inverse of what you experience- it's a way to know you can take a road that's better for you and you're only giving up a minute or two. Apple assumes that everyone just wants to get there faster; some of us are willing to sacrifice a minute or two to take a road we're more comfortable with.

I've had Apple Maps take my wife off the interstate and take shady streets through bad neighborhoods to save 4 minutes. Google Maps is far safer in those scenarios.

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
If you live in an area where Apple maps was recently updated it outperforms Google maps in my opinion. I love being told to turn at the next light instead of some random street and getting warnings on stop signs and red lights. However I did a drive last week from DC to Norfolk once you leave the new area Waze and Google become king again.
Lights update is wonderful, especially when I don't know where I'm going and there are like three streets bunched up. 250 ft or whatever does no good over at the next light.
[automerge]1576881625[/automerge]
I've had Apple Maps take my wife off the interstate and take shady streets through bad neighborhoods to save 4 minutes. Google Maps is far safer in those scenarios.
That garbage annoys me with Waze too. Just keep me on the more major route unless it will save a ton of time like if it knows an accident is up ahead that I see no heavy traffic from yet.

Reactions: boltjames

iashwindabhi

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
India
Apple maps are more advanced and fast but still lacks more features. I would recommend to use Waze if you want more feaures and for speed and reliability apple maps are best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.