Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrizan4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I’m having a hard time understanding the “Parked Location” feature.. My phone connects to my car stereo everytime I drive around and when I leave the car, the location is not marked.

I think it was working in iOS 12 B1 and B2 after that it just stopped working.. Or did I miss a setting somewhere?

What are the exact conditions for this feature to work? Background refresh for Maps? Always on location.. What am I missing?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I’m having a hard time understanding the “Parked Location” feature.. My phone connects to my car stereo everytime I drive around and when I leave the car, the location is not marked.

I think it was working in iOS 12 B1 and B2 after that it just stopped working.. Or did I miss a setting somewhere?

What are the exact conditions for this feature to work? Background refresh for Maps? Always on location.. What am I missing?

No-one really knows as far as I've seen. It works for some and not others and there's been speculation it might be based on Bluetooth vendor or device id's. Do you have a 1st or 3rd party head unit in your car?

Reactions: mkrizan4

aditza121

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2007
I don’t know if they changed it in iOS 12, but prior versions relied on the Bluetooth device type. I have an old Kenwood head unit and it identifies itself as a stereo Bluetooth headset, and not as a car radio, so it never worked with it. It does however work with most 1st party head units as long as they identify correctly.

Reactions: mkrizan4

mkrizan4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I have a first party. It’s the iDrive system on a BMW. Though every module was updated a month ago at the dealership, where I had the car serviced. Maybe it has something to do with that.. But it was sometimes working sometimes not prior to that too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.