Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
i Know with the release of iOS 14.5 Apple Maps has the ability to submit a “Speed Trap”. I’m curious what this actually means? I just tested Apple Maps out on a round trip drive from Detroit to Cleveland and back, and kept Waze running in the background while using Apple Maps in the foreground. I must have come across 10-12 different police cars sitting on the side of the road, checking the speed of vehicles. Waze had almost every one marked a half mile before I got to them and warned me as I was coming up to them. Apple Maps did not have a single one Even marked.

So, what is the “speed trap” marking for in Apple Maps if not for this? What is Apple doing with this data when we submit one in these cases? Has anyone seen a police car marked in Apple Maps the way Waze marks them?

Curious what everyone else’s experience has been with this.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Yes, I'm aware of how to mark it and that others need to mark them if they get there first. They don't appear magically. ;).

I mark them every time I pass one the same way I do in Waze, but I never see anything show up on the map when I do (on Waze, the icon pops up instantly), and I never have seen one marked from anyone else. Are people really not marking the police in Apple Maps?

One time I tried it where I went past a police car and marked it on a road near my house. Ran into a store a mile down the road for a few mins, and when I came back through that same area 10 mins later, the police car was still there, but it wasn't marked on Apple Maps from when I marked it 10 mins prior. So where did my submission go?

Seems kind of pointless if they require a bunch of markings to consider it "reported". But that point, the police car likely has already caught someone and has moved.

But honestly, just curious, has anyone ever actually SEEN a police marking for a police car in Apple Maps, one where it wasn't stationary speed camera? I haven't seen one yet... Wondering if anyone else has.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yes, I'm aware of how to mark it and that others need to mark them if they get there first. They don't appear magically. ;).

I mark them every time I pass one the same way I do in Waze, but I never see anything show up on the map when I do (on Waze, the icon pops up instantly), and I never have seen one marked from anyone else. Are people really not marking the police in Apple Maps?

One time I tried it where I went past a police car and marked it on a road near my house. Ran into a store a mile down the road for a few mins, and when I came back through that same area 10 mins later, the police car was still there, but it wasn't marked on Apple Maps from when I marked it 10 mins prior. So where did my submission go?

Seems kind of pointless if they require a bunch of markings to consider it "reported". But that point, the police car likely has already caught someone and has moved.

But honestly, just curious, has anyone ever actually SEEN a police marking for a police car in Apple Maps, one where it wasn't stationary speed camera? I haven't seen one yet... Wondering if anyone else has.

I wonder what this means: "If enough users report a speed trap" from

https://9to5mac.com/2021/02/10/apple-maps-waze-features-ios-14/

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
In the Phoenix area, we have permanent speed cameras, and they are all marked in Waze (as are "red light" cameras)... not so much in Apple Maps, as far as I can see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.