Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Hi!
I cannot delete recent places in Apple maps, i swipe to the left and press remove , but it keeps coming back no matter how many times i delete it.... Anyone having the same problem?
This on my iPhone X on ios 11.2

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Came across this recently in iOS 11.1 as well, although I recall some posts about this sort of thing in the past too, I think back in iOS 10 even.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Hi!
I cannot delete recent places in Apple maps, i swipe to the left and press remove , but it keeps coming back no matter how many times i delete it.... Anyone having the same problem?
This on my iPhone X on ios 11.2
This was a big problem for me when iOS 11 was first released. I was determined not to install a beta on my phone but I was having a lot of issues with Maps so I gave in and installed 11.1 which fixed Maps for me. Other than restarting the device I don’t know any way to resolve this. I find it interesting that issues I previously had I now see being reported by others. Issues others previously had I now see. iOS 11 has just been a total whack-a-mole release.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Just checked on my phone: also seeing this.

Toggling Maps off in iCloud setttings, then back on cleared recents for me.

Reactions: big samm

big samm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
That fixed it for me! Toggled off maps in iCloud and now it’s all cleared! Thank you guys!!

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Unfortunately toggling maps on and off (mine are off in iCloud normally) doesn't work for me, nor does it work coupled with a restart of the phone.

Any other option? I'm on 11.2.1 on my iPhone 8, it also happened on 11.2.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Unfortunately toggling maps on and off (mine are off in iCloud normally) doesn't work for me, nor does it work coupled with a restart of the phone.

Any other option? I'm on 11.2.1 on my iPhone 8, it also happened on 11.2.
I tried the toggling of the iCloud/Maps but as you noticed that doesn’t work. I also went to my iPad Pro to delete them and the same thing would occur. You could delete a couple but then you do one more and the others come back just as on my 8 plus. It’s an iCloud issue that just repopulates what you’ve deleted. Reminds me of my Apple Pay issue. The only other option would be to sign out of iCloud but I believe as soon as you sign back in they’ll all be back.

This can only be solved either on the backend at iCloud or by new software.

Reactions: puma1552

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I tried the toggling of the iCloud/Maps but as you noticed that doesn’t work. I also went to my iPad Pro to delete them and the same thing would occur. You could delete a couple but then you do one more and the others come back just as on my 8 plus. It’s an iCloud issue that just repopulates what you’ve deleted. Reminds me of my Apple Pay issue. The only other option would be to sign out of iCloud but I believe as soon as you sign back in they’ll all be back.

This can only be solved either on the backend at iCloud or by new software.

Guess I'll just live with it for now til Apple fixes it.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Had this problem for several releases before IOS 11 but it seems to have gone away with 11

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Guess I'll just live with it for now til Apple fixes it.
I’m wondering if some of this is due to Siri suggestions. Some of those destinations in the list may be undeletable or at least will eventually reappear.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
I don't understand why it's not working for you guys, turn off iCloud maps in every idevices and that should do the trick

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I’m wondering if some of this is due to Siri suggestions. Some of those destinations in the list may be undeletable or at least will eventually reappear.
I've had those disabled all the time basically, but it doesn't seem to affect this issue with maps.
[doublepost=1514479958][/doublepost]
I don't understand why it's not working for you guys, turn off iCloud maps in every idevices and that should do the trick
Haven't had that enabled at any point at all. But just enabled and disabled it and looks like that cleared things out (along with favorites).

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
If you turn that off, and leave it off, all of your favorites will be gone as well. We just want to be able to clear recents and suggestions. And if you turn that back on eventually your recents and favorites will repopulate.
[doublepost=1514480384][/doublepost]
I've had those disabled all the time basically, but it doesn't seem to affect this issue with maps.
[doublepost=1514479958][/doublepost]Haven't had that enabled at any point at all. But just enabled and disabled it and looks like that cleared things out (along with favorites).
That’s the problem if you leave it off, no more favorites. That’s not an option for me. I also tried going to Location Services/System/Significant locations. I cleared those locations but it didn’t affect the recents in Maps. I don’t know if I lost any other functionality doing that but I thought I’d try.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I had this before but sometimes if you keep trying to delete it then it will stay deleted and won’t appear. You can try force close Maps and try deleting recent history. It’s not as aggressive on the latest beta though.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
This might have been fixed for real on 11.3. Just updated the phone and cleared out the history: the old history has not returned. Have been checking every few minutes and recents is still clear with iCloud > Maps on.

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Has anyone found a fix for this? I still have about 8 recents that keep reappearing after deleting them. And this issue has been going on for me since 2017!! I’ve tried so many suggestions and none are working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.