Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Navigation app do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I REALLY want to use Apple Maps as my default navigation app but I cannot. Apple Maps seems to have preset “spokes” in its possibilities for navigation routes. This is particularly evident when attempting to travel between locations over “back” or secondary roads. Apple Maps will prefer to route between larger intersections or communities even if that takes you over a greater distance.

End of rant...

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I use Apple Maps all the time now i have CarPlay as its by far the best looking on CarPlay plus integrates to my calendar appointments, location info for sending me to places i go to a lot, Siri, Contact information etc really well. As for routing most sat navs i've used have always tended to try and stick to major roads more than side roads so i dont think Apple Maps is unique in that instance.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I use a combination of Apple Maps and Google Maps, especially since Google Maps was updated to be compatible with Apple CarPlay. Usually whenever I need to navigate in a city, I'll use Google Maps since Apple Maps tends to be all over the place. But long trips, Apple Maps has yet to fail us.

I use Waze from time to time, especially if there is congestion on my way to/from work. Waze does a great job at suggesting alternate routes.

kyussmondo

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
I use Apple Maps all the time, but I do keep Google Maps as a back up in the rare case it can’t find a POI that Apple cannot find. I think this is partly because some businesses only provide data to Google and not bother with other places like Yelp. I try to report missing locations, but Apple is a little slow on updating.

I have found that Google Maps can make more direct routes, which can be good or bad depending on the distance of route, although Apple Maps does offer you different options if you don’t navigate via Siri. And Waze takes it to the extreme, taking you down all sorts of residential back roads, although whether it gains you any time is debatable and the residents don’t like it. Apple Maps and Google Maps are really close now, but Apple is still recovering from the bad PR of the original Apple Maps.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I use Apple Maps all the time, but I do keep Google Maps as a back up in the rare case it can’t find a POI that Apple cannot find. I think this is partly because some businesses only provide data to Google and not bother with other places like Yelp. I try to report missing locations, but Apple is a little slow on updating.

I have found that Google Maps can make more direct routes, which can be good or bad depending on the distance of route, although Apple Maps does offer you different options if you don’t navigate via Siri. And Waze takes it to the extreme, taking you down all sorts of residential back roads, although whether it gains you any time is debatable and the residents don’t like it. Apple Maps and Google Maps are really close now, but Apple is still recovering from the bad PR of the original Apple Maps.

For the USA at least, POI updates typically take only 24-48 hours. Any business can submit to Maps directly HERE without having to do so in the app.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Any have speed camera warnings on CarPlay? I don't want to have to plot a route either, just have it on the screen. I used to have a separate Sat Nav which could do this, not sure if any CarPlay apps do though

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Waze does....more info on how is HERE.

Is this shown only when a route planned though? I want it to just show just when driving along with no planned route, so for example know where I'm going, have Sat Nav via CarPlay running on screen but to show and warn for any speed cameras?

Thanks

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Is this shown only when a route planned though? I want it to just show just when driving along with no planned route, so for example know where I'm going, have Sat Nav via CarPlay running on screen but to show and warn for any speed cameras?

Thanks

I believe Waze shows all "warnings" whether or not you are on a planned route or not....at least visually. It may not give you a voice warning as it will not definitely know you are coming up to a camera within the designated distance (you may turn the corner before, for example).

Reactions: MrMister111

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
For the USA at least, POI updates typically take only 24-48 hours. Any business can submit to Maps directly HERE without having to do so in the app.

This. Back when Maps first came out, it took me 4 updates/reports and a freaking *YEAR* to get the address of the road I live on updated.

The last time I reported an update (to update the address of the church I go to), it took something like 2 hours. Obviously their responsiveness has VASTLY improved. :)

Reactions: MozMan68

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
I would like to use Apple maps but...

Attachments

• 43E324F1-9DD2-496C-A02F-BF2A93CA191F.png
    43E324F1-9DD2-496C-A02F-BF2A93CA191F.png
    2 MB · Views: 244
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.