Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I'm hoping (if not hopeful) that iOS 15 brings the traffic/accident/police reporting features to Canada. I can't imagine why there would be a delay in rolling them out here given Google Maps has had those features in Canada for years now. There is certainly no legal impediment.

I think they are just making sure they not only work as planned, but that they can track them by user if needed (new Maps profile)….and I don’t mean “track” as seeing what you are doing, but noting that one user may be posting 100’s of incidents while other users say only 50% of those are real.

We’ve had the ability to submit them since early February but have yet to actually see the user submitted ones in action. Guessing that may come as early as the public beta or shortly thereafter.

And you are correct, there doesn’t seem to be an issue with implementing this in other countries. The only exception right now is China where the speed trap report is replaced with construction I think.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Is the 3D view gone? I am able to get it when stopping a flyover and then look at the city, but can't find an easy way to go from 2D to 3D view.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Thoughts on this as I drove 15 minutes to get lunch just so I could try CarPlay more. ;)

They’ve definitely reduced 3D buildings dramatically. Not sure if this is permanent, but I only experienced 3D buildings when I left my house and when I was arriving at my destination…same when heading home.

Didn’t matter what speed I was going, how far away the next turn was, Maps was basically blank except for roads and some POI symbols during 95% of the drive.
I’d say your 95% figure is pretty spot on in my experience so far. My drive to and from work is about 40 minutes each way and normally, I would see the 3D buildings the entire way. I’m looking at it in two ways.

One way…might be a bug, because when I DO see the 3D buildings pop up…there’s a quick flicker or two.

The other way…intentional, simply because of that “95%”. So much of a drive can go by without seeing those buildings under any circumstance. I wonder if they viewed the buildings as “clutter”…?

Either way, I‘m going to type up some feedback about it. Mainly for the flicker that happens when the buildings do pop up. And it only seems to be the buildings that flicker. It doesn’t happen to the roads and it’s not the screen itself flickering.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I’d say your 95% figure is pretty spot on in my experience so far. My drive to and from work is about 40 minutes each way and normally, I would see the 3D buildings the entire way. I’m looking at it in two ways.

One way…might be a bug, because when I DO see the 3D buildings pop up…there’s a quick flicker or two.

The other way…intentional, simply because of that “95%”. So much of a drive can go by without seeing those buildings under any circumstance. I wonder if they viewed the buildings as “clutter”…?

Either way, I‘m going to type up some feedback about it. Mainly for the flicker that happens when the buildings do pop up. And it only seems to be the buildings that flicker. It doesn’t happen to the roads and it’s not the screen itself flickering.
My biggest issue with it is that by the time the buildings come into view, Maps has already moved to 2D mode since I am making my final turn(s) to my destination.

But to your point, I think it may be purposeful:

* 3D buildings have no use (typically) while routing other than they look nice. Some may say they help determine surroundings, but at the end of the day, you shouldn't be looking THAT closely at Maps while you are driving.
* To the point above, buildings DO make sense at the very beginning and end of routing to help determine location and where you are actually going...I want to see what building I am parking next to and seeing that on the map helps.
* I'm guessing Maps runs more smoothly and can make changes quicker without the graphical clutter on there...and I'm guessing this may become more important as Maps adds more detailed terrain data and while it may only be in a few large cities, I can see them adding more of the "super detail" like San Francisco has in future updates. They've already stated it is coming to CarPlay later this year.

As long as I get the street level detail they mention in features like lines, bike lanes, crosswalks, etc. I'm more than willing to give up 3D buildings while driving. And they're still there in static maps which is actually where I use them more when investigating a new area I plan on visiting.

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
My biggest issue with it is that by the time the buildings come into view, Maps has already moved to 2D mode since I am making my final turn(s) to my destination.

But to your point, I think it may be purposeful:

* 3D buildings have no use (typically) while routing other than they look nice. Some may say they help determine surroundings, but at the end of the day, you shouldn't be looking THAT closely at Maps while you are driving.
* To the point above, buildings DO make sense at the very beginning and end of routing to help determine location and where you are actually going...I want to see what building I am parking next to and seeing that on the map helps.
* I'm guessing Maps runs more smoothly and can make changes quicker without the graphical clutter on there...and I'm guessing this may become more important as Maps adds more detailed terrain data and while it may only be in a few large cities, I can see them adding more of the "super detail" like San Francisco has in future updates. They've already stated it is coming to CarPlay later this year.

As long as I get the street level detail they mention in features like lines, bike lanes, crosswalks, etc. I'm more than willing to give up 3D buildings while driving. And they're still there in static maps which is actually where I use them more when investigating a new area I plan on visiting.
Given that the similarity seems to be that we’re both seeing them at the very start and very end of the route…that definitely makes your second point a likely possibility. That makes sense to me.

For your first point, absolutely. It looks nice…but doesn’t add much. Add too much to look at on the screen and it’ll distract you ? Going with the minimal amount while still showing just what’s needed solves that problem.

For the third point, I can definitely imagine that. The more “moving parts” involved means more things to possibly go wrong or slow things down. Taking out the extra stuff and (like I said above) keep the minimal “essentials” I would imagine makes things much easier on the making changes side.

If the tradeoff to losing this is that I also get the lines, bike lanes, and crosswalks like you mentioned, I agree that it would be a worthwhile compromise. Heck, I don’t even think I’d call it a compromise! It would be well worth it because those features add quite a bit more value than the 3D buildings would! Will we get the insane level of detail that is being shown in San Francisco right now? Time will tell. Personally, I don’t think we need the detail down to the trees and such (or even showing terrain height, because there wouldn’t be much to see of that in Illinois!) but at least the lines/bike lanes/crosswalks would be great!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I think road details will be seen when Maps drops into 2D mode while routing. Probably not as you are driving down the road at speed. Also looking forward to the detailed 3D perspective view for “complicated” exists or highway exchanges.

I expect the ground level details may come to most cities with detailed POI renderings spread around the entire country as they are today.

Tree’s and elevation? Probably limited to major cities. I’m happy with the new elevation data/colors as is, but wondering if their AI is able to add the trees and elevation automatically? I have a hard time believing a person reviewed the trees. Even for SF that seems crazy…but maybe…

Dream Maps would be exactly what we seeing SF right now…and like they have already done, limit the hand drawn POI’s to one’s that matter…like they already do today. Seems completely possible.

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I think road details will be seen when Maps drops into 2D mode while routing. Probably not as you are driving down the road at speed. Also looking forward to the detailed 3D perspective view for “complicated” exists or highway exchanges.

I expect the ground level details may come to most cities with detailed POI renderings spread around the entire country as they are today.

Tree’s and elevation? Probably limited to major cities. I’m happy with the new elevation data/colors as is, but wondering if their AI is able to add the trees and elevation automatically? I have a hard time believing a person reviewed the trees. Even for SF that seems crazy…but maybe…

Dream Maps would be exactly what we seeing SF right now…and like they have already done, limit the hand drawn POI’s to one’s that matter…like they already do today. Seems completely possible.
I could see that being the case. The 3D highway interchanges is one I agree I’d like to see as well. (Basically what China has had with Junction View for a while now, I believe is what this is).

If the trees and elevation are added with AI…I could possibly see that being done everywhere. Like you though, I think that particular aspect will be reserved for major cities.

Since you mentioned the hand drawn POI’s, I have to mention one that really showcases the effort! If you haven’t already, look up the Union Square Apple Store in San Francisco. You can see right through the store (depending on the angle you’re looking, you can see the roads through what would be the glass). Then you have the detail IN the store. And then of course look at everything in dark mode and you have those that appear to be it up. I can’t say it enough. The update to Maps this year is incredible and probably my top favorite aspect of iOS 15. All the little things around the system are great, but the update to Maps is on another level. I really view this update as a faaaaaaar bigger deal than past years!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
a5c4bacbd918e3b69b07e946f0baf5ab.png

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I like seeing the buildings while driving on the local roads. Especially being in New York City, I can look at the map, and it looks like I'm driving through a miniature panorama.

Mentally, it sucks seeing the photos of y'all navigating, and seeing only empty roads with no structures. It's taking me back to the old, dark days when prior to the "new" maps data, only major city centers had buildings. I couldn't wait for the new maps data to be fully released for that reason.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Hey Moz, what happens while you're navigating on CarPlay on local roads (without buildings visible), and you hit the zoom in button once? If you zoom in one level, do buildings appear?

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Found on Reddit. Navigation now tells you how long you'll be in traffic!

Also, Justin has another big update, including more details on what you get with each detail zone.

https://www.justinobeirne.com/apple-maps-redesign-screenshots
Wow, I was way off when I said the southern extent was between San Jose and Morgan Hill! I didn’t even think about looking towards Santa Cruz!

Also…soooooo painful to see just how close to my hometown the coverage extends ? No Look Around or insanely-detailed maps love in East CoCo County ?

Reactions: G1Ravage

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Hey Moz, what happens while you're navigating on CarPlay on local roads (without buildings visible), and you hit the zoom in button once? If you zoom in one level, do buildings appear?

Going to try it now. Will try CarPlay and phone. Wish I could screen record the CarPlay screen.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Well…good news and bad news…yes you can zoom 1 to 2 levels and see 3D buildings on both CarPlay (touch screen and hit + symbol) and the iPhone (pinch to zoom), but it only stays that way until the next turn or road change.

Not sure if that is because I’m in a 3rd graphic level as Justin says or if that’s the way it is everywhere when you are routing.

Maybe it’s actually different in a city…I would think so as that has always been such a cool part of Maps. I still remember the first time used Apple Maps driving into downtown Seattle and seeing the buildings surround me as I entered the city.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany

I vastly prefer 3D building context throughout a route. There are loads of times where I mistakenly take the wrong turn (loads of tightly knit streets here) and if I had approximated 3D buildings, it wouldn‘t have happened (because the buildings themselves had major footprint differences between the streets I mixed up). My cars native Maps offer 3D views in a lot of big cities here and it‘s always nice being able to quickly verify this is the right turn due to that big square building next to it (instead of the more rectangle one from the first turn).

But hey, I still rock v1 Maps here so I take literally any upgrade the offer me (Germany).

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
New routing animation…seems to only work for the first route as you open Maps. Couldn’t get it to repeat the animation without closing Maps first.

Even without opening your link I know what you’re talking about. It’s very cool.. and I could also only get it to work once. I figured restarting would allow it again. Hopefully this is a bug and not an intended effect.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Even without opening your link I know what you’re talking about. It’s very cool.. and I could also only get it to work once. I figured restarting would allow it again. Hopefully this is a bug and not an intended effect.

Oh…it works for me over and over, but only as the first route selected after opening Maps. It should be there for every route selected IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.