Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mistergadgett

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
we are trying to figure out if my fiancee's 38mm AWS WSB is working correctly for turn alert taps in Apple Maps. We tried it out today during a 90 minute drive. It seemed to tap quickly 3 times when a left or right turn was imminent. We could not determine any distinguishable tap sequence to differentiate between the need to make a left or a right turn. Sometimes the watch would seem to just give a single tap (one time about 7 miles before the next turn). Then another time it gave a single tap then a second or two later another single tap and then a second or two later a third tape and then a few seconds later it gave 3 quick taps at the turn point. The only thing which seemed repeatable was the 3 quick tapes right at the turn intersection.

This is what the Apple Watch User Guide 1.0 says about Maps Turn Alert Taps:

"Follow directions. After you tap Start and head of on your first leg, Apple Watch uses taps to let you know when to turn. A steady series of 12 taps means turn right at the intersection you’re approaching; three pairs of two taps means turn left. Not sure what your destination looks like? You’ll feel a vibration when you’re on the last leg, and again when you arrive."

The above user guide description doesn't seem to describe anything her watch does in Maps. Has anyone else experienced this with Maps? Maybe the taptic sensitivity isn't set correctly or maybe the taptic engine in her watch is defective?

Has anyone had luck with tap alerts on the Watch in Maps?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
It can be hard to tell which is which. I also had the same problem. But now over a month it I can tell left and right. It just takes some time.

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Mine works as expected... Continuous taps is right, and if you feel sets of taps with a gap in between, its left. I can't ever count them all, so I just try to see if there are gaps or not.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
I think those turn alerts are only for walking directions, judging by the user guide.

Oooohhhh I couldn't determine a difference either with driving directions, so I think you're right about this.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
No, you do get the differential taps for driving as well.

Weird. I'm pretty sure mine does the same number of taps left or right, and the pattern and sound is the same left/right and kind of like an automobile blinker.

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
It is the same length sequence... either 4 hits repeated, or 3 hits and a rest repeated, for a total of 12 beats. Difference is subtle but definitely there when driving.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I think it is 3 pairs of 2, or 12 taps (which feels like 3 sets of 4 taps) yeah, it's suttle.. still works when driving though, but so does a quick glance down.

That said, I REALLY hope that google puts some maps on the watch, since I still don't like using the apple maps that much.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
There are multiple threads on this already. You receive a haptic tap of several taps and audio that is:
ascending in pitch for a right turn (tap TAP, tap TAP, tap TAP) descending in pitch for a left turn (TAP tap, TAP tap, TAP tap)

If you set the watch on silent mode, you receive 12 taps for a right turn, or a series of three pairs of double taps for a left turn.

That's how it works.

audirs5

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
I'm shocked by the ignorant dismissal of Apple Maps still....
I mean... Given the fact I gave it a chance to take me to an address in a well populated city and it got my lost... Last week... Gives me some reason to dismiss the, still sucky, Apple maps. It's going to take a lot to pull me away from Google on this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.