Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devwarrior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2023
Hello

Planning to buy a new MBP, my main usage is Xcode, ML development and 4k or 5k video editing. I am confused, should I go with 48 GB MBP 16 or bump up the memory 64 GB with 14 MBP? Any advice?

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
If you generally work docked to external monitors you might as well go for the higher performing more portable 14”. Otherwise if you typically work only on the laptop display treat yourself to the bigger 16”. Screen real estate helps, and 64GB is probably overkill anyway.

Reactions: devwarrior

devwarrior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2023
If you generally work docked to external monitors you might as well go for the higher performing more portable 14”. Otherwise if you typically work only on the laptop display treat yourself to the bigger 16”. Screen real estate helps, and 64GB is probably overkill anyway.
Thank you for the feedback

devwarrior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2023
That'll depend greatly on the size of the ML models he uses during development. It might be overkill, it might be not enough.
ML models will be small as far as I know I don’t think it will be really large

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Planning to buy a new MBP, my main usage is Xcode, ML development and 4k or 5k video editing. I am confused, should I go with 48 GB MBP 16 or bump up the memory 64 GB with 14 MBP? Any advice?
You need to find people with specific experience of the software/libraries you want to use, and give them far more detail about what you want to do. The cheapest Mac can "do" Xcode, ML and 4k video editing if you're talking about light use, but your specific work may need far more CPU power and RAM than that.

This, unfortunately, is where Apple make things difficult with their non-expandable RAM and super-expensive options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.