Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xelterran

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
perhaps when they release an even bigger display (24incher anyone?) or maby in january when the new powermacs might be launched.

TMJ1974

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Oct 1

Don't know about the price being cut......but, my guess is a new line of displays on Oct 1.

Apple's current display promotion ends on a Monday, and Apple seems to always release new products on Tuesday mornings, especially after a promotion.

I'd love to see the 17" price more in line with the competition (on the PC side)....maybe in the $799 range. A 19" widescreen would be really cool at the current $999 range.

Fingers crossed.....................

Tim

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Re: Oct 1

Originally posted by TMJ1974
Don't know about the price being cut......but, my guess is a new line of displays on Oct 1.

Apple's current display promotion ends on a Monday, and Apple seems to always release new products on Tuesday mornings, especially after a promotion.

I'd love to see the 17" price more in line with the competition (on the PC side)....maybe in the $799 range. A 19" widescreen would be really cool at the current $999 range.

Fingers crossed.....................

Tim

I have to agree with you. I bought my 17 inch with a 200 buck rebate (making it 799) and i preferred that price over the origional 999 buck price tag. An also, i agree that 999 is too much. 799 would be just right and a 19 inch would fill the 999 price gap nicely. My fingers and toes are crossed for this one....

I think dropping the price on the 17in would be good idead beacuse for $1000 more u can get an iMac, it just makes sense to lower the price. Recently in Consumer Repors it was rated the best 17in LCD- only downside was price. Apple really does not have much to lose, it would sell more units if it has a cheaper price.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
hmmmmm interesting idea guys

see i was thinking the same thing about the oct 1st promo end. It would make perfect sense for apple to come out with cheaper LCD or even a 19-20 inch widescreen one. Apple is defianately lacking in the 17-22 range for a monitor. I know a bunch of us would like something slightly bigger than 17 but dont want to pay $2500 for the ancient 22 inch one.

I would recomend to all you prospective powermac buyers to check out FORMACs two monitors. the 17.4 inch one ($899) goes head to head with the apple one and only gets beat if you add the apple promotion to the price.

Also they just came out with a 20.1 inch one ( too bad its not widescreen) that has 1600*1200 resolution. It sells for $1700 but you can get it for under $1630 wihtout tax if youre crafty. It pretty hard to beat the 20.1 at the formac.com website they have awesome comparisons to the 22 and 23 inch apple displays. the 20.1 is also color accurate while the apple high end ones arent.

I allready gave up on the concept of new LCDs in early october, and went with the formac 20.1, so if apple fails to satisfy its loyal followers i suggest to try out what formac has to offer.

Tyler

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
I just placed my order for a dual 867 and 17" lcd last week so hopefully nothing new will come out for a while!

Unless of course Apple wants to upgrade my order (but I could use the $200 MIR)

I like the 17" lcd, but using programs that are designed for widescreen monitors like FCP and iMovie it kind of sucks as there's a lot of wasted space.

However, the looks alone make up for it.

danman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2002
Personally I don't think Apple can refresh their LCD lineup soon enough.

I think the current displays are an ergonomic nightmare. Where are the VESA brackets and arsm (they could even sell an iMac like arm that attaches to the table or wall!)

I -will not- buy one of those monitors until they completely re-design them (have to stick with my 19" CRT in the meanwhile :-(

Plus an more entry level widescreen LCD is another great product waiting to happen.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
LCD

I like to see that apple fix all screen to HDTV. I have some color variations on my 22". Small but if you are picki you'll see. I saw that those are fixed on the 23". Hope to see something happen there. Its not so easy to get couple 23" at once...

Akira

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2002
The Netherlands
I don't think they're going to introduce bigger displays, 23-Inch is big enough. If you want something bigger, buy a plasma screen...

I think a 19 Inch is more likely, with a bit more friendly price tag :)

Telomar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2002
I doubt they will release anything before the 5G manufacturing processes are up and producing. It'd be a little silly for a forward thinking LCD based company to go with old and more costly technology when late this year - early next year cheaper technology will be available. That would really make the markets want to dump your stock.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Sun has an UBER NICE 24.1'' LCD screen, but its max resolution is the same as the 23'' cinema

Fishy1500

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2002
ok, I really do hope Apple comes out with a new display on Oct 1. Especially something like a 19" widescreen. Do all of you think this is a real possibility?

If Apple does release new lcds, I'm gonna go run out and buy my first mac (a dual1ghz powermac and a nice widescreen 19") so I can finally have a stable environment to run emagic logic platinum 5. :p

Please Apple! Give us new screens and make me a "switcher!"

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
Well

What i wan't is an Apple branded 17" LCD witch is cheaper than todays LCD's, i really want to switch my 3 leg CRT, but a 1400$ price tag won't help me do that.

mayaLuvr

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Canada
Im in dire need of a 19inch display!
One with dual inputs would be awesome.
Ive been looking at the Dell 2000FP Flat Panel lately.
Its suppose to have DVI, RGB and SVHS would be awesome for
my G4 (DVI>ADC converter), Dell (RGB) and XBox (SVHS)!
The only problem with the Dell one is that no one at Dell knows if it has input switches on the front panel:p
So Apple, if you have anything close to that, I will buy:O)
Also has anyone used Gefen products before?
Im looking at their DVI>ADC stuff.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Love my 17"

OK...I finally took the plunge and bought an entire new system (New Dual 1 gig and a 17" Apple LCD).

I have to say, I'd been holding out for a 19", but decided it was time to buy anyway.

Let me just say that I LOVE this 17" monitor. I like the form factor, I like the brightness, etc. I had been using a dual CRT monitor set up with a 17" CRT and an old 13" Apple RGB, so I booted the 13" and now am using dual with the 17" Apple LCD and my old Trinitron 17" CRT. Side by side, I can't believe how much more I like the LCD.

Personally, this is enough screen real estate for me. In fact, rather than buy the 23", I prefer two of these 17" LCD's side by side. I can't say why, I just like the aesthetic of double monitors, and the separation it provides. It allows me to "group" things that just works for me.

My one complaint about the Apple LCD is that it doesn't tilt forward far enough; it leans back a hair too much for my taste. But, by using a small .5 inch thick piece of neoprene under the back foot, I've managed to tilt it to the perfect position.

Just thought I'd share my review.

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
they desperately need to come out with new monitors...and make them wide. I just got a new powermac and held off on the monitor until they upgrade. In fact I almost went with the 17" imac for the monitor, but decided I need the power and could wait on new monitors. If they don't come out with widescreen across the board I'll feel let down, or I'll get the formac.

Fishy1500

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2002
Yes Apple really does need to come out with a 19" widescreen display ASAP. Its been too long and its just awkward for them not to have something inbetween the 17" and the 22".

I am just waiting on this new screen before I buy my powermac, so Apple, get going on it!

Also, Apple bought out Emagic in their little marketing ploy to push PC users to make the switch. So far their scheme seems to be working on me pretty well, but what would really make the sale is if they offered us a nice 19" widescreen or some sort of update on their very old lineup of displays.
Wouldn't it make sense for them to give us no reason not to switch ... considering they bought out an entire company to get a few more switchers...

APPLE GIVE US THE 19" widescreen on Oct 1!

There better be some results on that website of yours! :mad:

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: Well

Originally posted by Eple
What i wan't is an Apple branded 17" LCD witch is cheaper than todays LCD's, i really want to switch my 3 leg CRT, but a 1400$ price tag won't help me do that.

If you want apple quality, you're going to pay for it... a price drop would be good, but i should never hope to see them *cheaper* than others...

you could always grab a 15", and then a couple of months later go for another one... depends on what you do with your desktop space tho...

and that's assuming there will *be* a 15" in a few months ;)

pnw

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Originally posted by Fishy1500
... considering they bought out an entire company to get a few more switchers...

well I wouldn't say that's entirely accurate. sure it'd be great if every logic user jumped to the mac, but there is more than that to this purchase. There has been a lot of speculation that they want to create some sort of iapp based on logic. the latest issue of sound on sound leans that way.... itunes was based on C&G's SoundJam, etc. In addition to Logic, Apple also now has their hardware and I wouldn't be surprised to see it integrated into future imacs. Wouldn't it be nice to have surround sound built in?

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by railthinner

well I wouldn't say that's entirely accurate. sure it'd be great if every logic user jumped to the mac, but there is more than that to this purchase. There has been a lot of speculation that they want to create some sort of iapp based on logic. the latest issue of sound on sound leans that way.... itunes was based on C&G's SoundJam, etc. In addition to Logic, Apple also now has their hardware and I wouldn't be surprised to see it integrated into future imacs. Wouldn't it be nice to have surround sound built in?

yeah how bout that SB audigy tech those pc people have been enjoying all this time?We gotta get a piece of the pie! all we got on the mac soundcard list is the 4 year old sb for mac, which is essentially just a 16 bit soundcard (sb's lowest mainstream tech BTW) with a different name....

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by mr evil brkfast
Early October I think we'll at lease see another promo. A 19" Widescreen would be a nice addition to the line in the next upgrade. As well- a price drop accross the line.

hopefully.... cuz taht sounds pretty reasonable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.