Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Wouldn't it be great if Apple and Motorola collaborated on the 'iPhone'? This would likely be the best thing for Apple because Moto is already in the cell phone business and Apple could use that to leverage it's market share in the cell phone market. If they wanted to, they could even leave it up to Moto to do all the advertising, saving Apple tons of money.

Best thing yet, such a phone would likely be cheap because Apple could forfeit all the R&D that goes into and instead use Moto's already-developed technology. Apple could just design it and provide the software that goes into it!

Moto would benefit, too, because it obviously would make money from this and use it to invest R&D into future PPC processors (maybe, if their not pig-headed)!

A lot of this makes so much sense (Translation: Please do not flame me! :( ).

:cool:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
There's a lot of flaws in this plan

What makes you think that Apple wants to get into the cell phone business? Cell phones are quickly becoming a commodity device and that's exactly where Apple doesn't want to be.

And the set-up that you're suggesting seems like Apple gets all of the benefits and Motorola gets Apple's name. Doesn't seem like such a good deal for Moto.

Realisitcally, Apple won't be doing any kind of cell phone unless they can put in features that distinguish it from what anyone else is doing. What these features are, who knows. But I do know that the days of people buying $500 cell phones are coming to a close.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Re: There's a lot of flaws in this plan

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'VE BEEN FLAMED ALREADY!!! MODS!!! :p :rolleyes: :) :D ;)

Originally posted by ftaok
What makes you think that Apple wants to get into the cell phone business?

Because cell phones are the most popular digital device on the market today and Apple knows this. That makes it a viable, profitable, market.

But I do know that the days of people buying $500 cell phones are coming to a close.

$500 for a phone?! Give me a break! Today, I don't think Apple would go any higher than the price of a 5GB iPod ($299 USD), and that would likely be only for a pro-phone. I see them starting out as low as $99 USD. :p

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Shrek,

Sure cell phones are popular, but the market is cut-throat. It's getting more and more commiditzed (is that a word?) every day. This is not a buisiness that Apple wants to be in, unless they have something compelling that people will buy. And that's my point. What can Apple add to a cell phone that will make it compelling enough for someone to buy. They can't rest on their pretty designs (because Nokia already has that cornered).

Hey, it's my opinion, but cell phones would be a disaster. PDA's now that's a different story.

NOTE - the only thing that I could see Apple doing is badging someone else's phone and calling it an iPhone. But that's not really Apple's style.

Oh yeah, what exactly is a pro-phone?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I can imagine having a full-color LCD display PDA/Cellphone with bluetooth and rendezvous for about $399

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by ftaok
Shrek,

Sure cell phones are popular, but the market is cut-throat. It's getting more and more commiditzed (is that a word?) every day. This is not a buisiness that Apple wants to be in, unless they have something compelling that people will buy. And that's my point. What can Apple add to a cell phone that will make it compelling enough for someone to buy. They can't rest on their pretty designs (because Nokia already has that cornered).

Hey, it's my opinion, but cell phones would be a disaster. PDA's now that's a different story.

NOTE - the only thing that I could see Apple doing is badging someone else's phone and calling it an iPhone. But that's not really Apple's style.

Oh yeah, what exactly is a pro-phone?

Steve Jobs has already said that Apple would never make a PDA. As far as iPhone, he has made statements saying he "prefers not to comment on any future products." Don't have any links for that, though. Sorry. :(

Pro-phone? Professional phone. Duh. :p ;)

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
This debate over wether or not Apple will make an iPhone is completely off-topic for this thread. We're suppose to be discussing the possibility of an Apple-Moto collaboration on an iPhone. Duh.

Thanks a lot for the threadjacking, ftaok! :mad:

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
First off, I hate to say that you are wrong shrek, but you are wrong. Cell phones get more and more expensive every passing month. People are going to more and more have to "pay $500 for a phone". This does not necessarily mean the consumer pays this $500. Cell phones are a subsidized product. They are subsidized by the cellular service provider you purchase the phone from. If you went to a service retailer today and wanted to buy, say, the new SonyEricsson T68i you would probably pay around $2-250 for it. You can get it at this price because the service provider has

1) purhcased the phone in bulk
2) has locked you into a year minimum service contract
3) ensured you stay with them by "locking" the phone from other service providers

If you were to buy the phone from SonyEricsson you would pay $500 dollars. It works this way with all cell phones.

Secondly, Apple has nothing to gain by manufacturing cell-phones themselves. They have already joined forces with SonyEricsson (not motorola!!! b/c everyone knows motorola phones are crap) to make apple and SonyEricsson products compatible therefore boosting each others sales. I will not post the link for this, just go to sonyericsson.com or think back to the huge posters at Apple Paris that had T68's on them or the demonstration of iSync Mr. Jobs did at MWNY (also using a T68). Why would Apple, or any business for that matter, want to push another companies product for them then enter the same exact market???

Thirdly, I am sure that you, as many others (myself included), would like to see an apple phone. But it is something that is just not going to happen. Don't get yourself (and a lot of passers by) all excited and hopeful for a product that is clearly no where on the horizon.

SO, to bring this back to the thread topic, the answer is no! Apple and Motorola will not be collaborating on any "iPhone"'s nor should you want them too. Moto can't even produce their chips on pace with the rest of the market, Apple should be trying everything it can to get away from them (and I think they are i.e. Marklar or possible IBM partnership).

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
The only collaboration I'd like Apple and Moto to be part of is a date for Divorce Court :D

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by Shrek
This debate over wether or not Apple will make an iPhone is completely off-topic for this thread. We're suppose to be discussing the possibility of an Apple-Moto collaboration on an iPhone. Duh.

Thanks a lot for the threadjacking, ftaok! :mad:
Who's threadjacking???!!?!

I commented on the Apple/Moto collaboration that you suggested. I said it was a stupid idea for Motorola because they get very little benefit but share more of the cost burden. You stated that Motorola would give Apple their tech, and then market the phone for Apple. Answer me this, why would Moto want to do this? If they're making the phones and marketing the phones, shouldn't they get all the profit (minus a small royalty for using Apple brand name)?

It's called economics! "Duh!"

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by makkystyle
They have already joined forces with SonyEricsson (not motorola!!! b/c everyone knows motorola phones are crap) to make apple and SonyEricsson products compatible therefore boosting each others sales.
Moto phones are not crap. They're the best phones out there right now. They're feature rich (albeit a little pricey - but that's a carrier deal) and they're SUPER durable.

Moto can't even produce their chips on pace with the rest of the market, Apple should be trying everything it can to get away from them (and I think they are i.e. Marklar or possible IBM partnership).
While I agree that Moto and Apple won't be doing a cell phone deal, I think that Moto's chip problems have nothing to do with their cell phones. The cell phone division at Moto is doing really good right now. They're up to 16% or so and gaining ground on Nokia (depends on which numbers you look at). Sony/Ericsson is just about finished. They continue to lose ground to not only Nokia and Moto, but Samsung and Seimens. They're 5th in a two horse race.

And while the T68i is a cool little phone, I suspect it's too little too late for S/E.

Oh yeah, just so I'm not accused of threadjacking ... Moto and Apple will not collaborate on cell phones.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Besides, Apple already has ties with Sony/Ericsson so that would make more sense and it's a popular belief that soon Apple won't want anything to do with Motorola. And why does Shrek get so defensive when someone disagrees with 'em? I mean if Apple did make a cell with Moto then it obviously would be called the iPhone.....

MiloMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2002
Austin, Texas...y'all
It's not the phone, it's the service

That's the only way Apple would make money in the cell phone world. Many don't realize that the Sprints, Verizons, & other cell phone providers don't make any money off of a service subscriber until almost 18 months. The phones are almost giveaways, w/ the exception of the very high-dollar top line models (which not that many people buy).

Apple-Moto joining to create a phone is very unlikely, unless it's incorporated with .mac somehow. Allow people to not only access the web via their phone, but access their Mac. Dial up your iMac, let's say, locate a file, then email it to someone else by using your phone. There'd have to be valuable features that people would be willing to pay $40-$50 a month for. There's potential, that's for sure, to incorporate a phone into the digital hub. But can Apple make money with it?

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by Total OS X
And why does Shrek get so defensive when someone disagrees with 'em?

Originally posted by Shrek
:eek: :eek:

I'VE BEEN FLAMED ALREADY!!! MODS!!! :p :rolleyes: :) :D ;)

As you can plainly see, that was joke. Why is it that people completely misunderstand all the time? Oh, I know. You did it on purpose! :mad:

EDIT: It's no wonder why I call myself Shrek, cuz I knew this was gonna happen eventually. :(

I mean if Apple did make a cell with Moto then it obviously would be called the iPhone.....

Uh, like duh. Read the title of this thread if you wanna know more. :rolleyes:

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
I'd be bummed if Apple came out with an iPhone right after I just purchased my Moto v60. I love the thing, but if there was an Apple phone out there, I'd have to have it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.