Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unheateds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2018
Interesting read, and total BS move by Apple. Funny how they are the champions of privacy when it comes to US law enforcement agencies wanting them to unlock domestic terrorism suspects iPhones, but when their massive financial investments in China are concerned, they are more than happy to turn over law abiding citizens iCloud accounts and encryption keys so the Chinese State can do as they want with it.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/28/technology/apple-icloud-data-china/index.html

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Apple is following the laws in China. According to the article, Apple had tried to petition the Chinese government to exempt Apple from this law, but it was rejected. They had two choices. Get rid of iCloud for Chinese consumers or follow the law.

In the US, Apple requires the Federal government to follow US laws before handing over data. If the FBI wants unfettered access to everyone's data, then they should have the laws changed. I suspect a large number of Americans would feel strongly that the FBI/NSA/CIA/etc shouldn't have carte blanche access to citizen's private data.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I wonder if China would allow Apple to permanently delete any user data, with user confirmation of course, prior to migration. In other words, if the user didn't want their data housed under China's authority, they could ask Apple to permanently delete it before it being migrated to state-run servers.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apple is following the laws in China. According to the article, Apple had tried to petition the Chinese government to exempt Apple from this law, but it was rejected. They had two choices. Get rid of iCloud for Chinese consumers or follow the law.

In the US, Apple requires the Federal government to follow US laws before handing over data. If the FBI wants unfettered access to everyone's data, then they should have the laws changed. I suspect a large number of Americans would feel strongly that the FBI/NSA/CIA/etc shouldn't have carte blanche access to citizen's private data.

I vote "Get rid of iCloud for Chinese customers"

But then their Aple's biggest market .... Seems the big fish gets the worm.

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
It is not Apple's job to fix how China runs it's country. They need to work for privacy where they can, but it won't workout everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.