Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
I wonder if anyone else is having this issue...

I was using an iPhone XsMax on 13.1, Apple Music worked fine. Downgraded to 13 in preparation for iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple Music still worked fine. Purchased new phone, restored from iCloud backup made the day before. Apple Music only populates 2 songs. Playlists are all empty. Check my iPad Pro to verify I didn't screw something up signing in. I use one iCloud log in and one Store log in. Both the same, all settings as they should be. Can not even download any new music. It acts like it's going to work and then doesn't do anything.

Ok, figure it's the iCloud backup, so I re-install the beta of 3.1 and restore from my last iTunes backup from 9/13 thinking this will fix the issue as it was all working on my Max then. No go. Same **** different iOS.

Ugh... tried logging into store and icloud with the same apple id and it just wants me to try apple music for 3 months. So I KNOW it's logged in correct.

I just can NOT figure out what is causing this issue. Is it me? Is it Apple? Am I alone in this? I've googled and searched and seem to be an anomaly.

Help!!

Edited to add... just finished restoring my old old X on 13.1 and setting it up the same way and Apple Music works flawlessly. Daughter's 11 had no issues either. So could it just be a. my phone or b. iphone 11 pro?

Also, weirdly enough I can not download any of my purchased music via the itunes app. I just get the message unable to download songs.

Also tried turning off sync library and syncing via my Macbook and no go there either... it acts like it syncs but nothing shows on the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigpearl

Bigpearl

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013

I was using an iPhone XsMax on 13.1, Apple Music worked fine. Downgraded to 13 in preparation for iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple Music still worked fine. Purchased new phone, restored from iCloud backup made the day before. Apple Music only populates 2 songs. Playlists are all empty. Check my iPad Pro to verify I didn't screw something up signing in. I use one iCloud log in and one Store log in. Both the same, all settings as they should be. Can not even download any new music. It acts like it's going to work and then doesn't do anything.

Ok, figure it's the iCloud backup, so I re-install the beta of 3.1 and restore from my last iTunes backup from 9/13 thinking this will fix the issue as it was all working on my Max then. No go. Same **** different iOS.

Ugh... tried logging into store and icloud with the same apple id and it just wants me to try apple music for 3 months. So I KNOW it's logged in correct.

I just can NOT figure out what is causing this issue. Is it me? Is it Apple? Am I alone in this? I've googled and searched and seem to be an anomaly.

Help!!

Edited to add... just finished restoring my old old X on 13.1 and setting it up the same way and Apple Music works flawlessly. Daughter's 11 had no issues either. So could it just be a. my phone or b. iphone 11 pro?

Also, weirdly enough I can not download any of my purchased music via the itunes app. I just get the message unable to download songs.

Also tried turning off sync library and syncing via my Macbook and no go there either... it acts like it syncs but nothing shows on the phone.

Mines is not syncing as well just 2 bought albums

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
Yes, and my circumstances are IDENTICAL to yours in every way. Same devices, same processes attempted. Only possible difference is I’m on Catalina beta. But I’ve had support via AppleCare screen share and check all my settings on my 11 Pro Max, which doesn’t sync or download purchased music, are the same as my iPad Pro 10.5, and on my Mac, which both sync and download my iCloud music library and purchases fine - and they found the settings to be correct on all devices and said Catalina is not the issue.

Have tried restoring from iCloud and iTunes backups, resetting all settings etc - all to no avail. Am not prepared to go to the extra hassle of setting up as new.

Support were stumped, and had me generate and send logs and they have escalated my case to engineering. I’m expecting a call in next few days and will post back when I hear from them.

Incredibly frustrating, and time-consuming.

Help!!

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Yes, and my circumstances are IDENTICAL to yours in every way. Same devices, same processes attempted. Only possible difference is I’m on Catalina beta. But I’ve had support via AppleCare screen share and check all my settings on my 11 Pro Max, which doesn’t sync or download purchased music, are the same as my iPad Pro 10.5, and on my Mac, which both sync and download my iCloud music library and purchases fine - and they found the settings to be correct on all devices and said Catalina is not the issue.

Have tried restoring from iCloud and iTunes backups, resetting all settings etc - all to no avail. Am not prepared to go to the extra hassle of setting up as new.

Support were stumped, and had me generate and send logs and they have escalated my case to engineering. I’m expecting a call in next few days and will post back when I hear from them.

Incredibly frustrating, and time-consuming.

I am so glad to hear I am not alone in this. I'm stumped. Each update I get hopeful that it will fix itself but no go. I too am on Catalina, but my phone's backup was on my iMac which was NOT on Catalina. The only thing I can think of to do would be to erase and restore again. Unfortunately I am out of town for 2 more weeks and won't have an opportunity to do so. I hope they figure it out. You're the first to say you have the same exact problem, but on Reddit I've seen others with similar pieces of this issue not working so it's not just us.

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
Same here with the updates, hoping at least that the impending official Catalina release finally fixes it.

I reckon it’s something to do with back end changes to icloud account structures between iOS 12/Mojave and iOS 13/Catalina (ie something in the hidden files and folders we can’t see on our devices has become corrupt) rather than a hardware fault with our new phones. Or something is wrong in server side config relating to how our new phones came to be set up which now doesn’t allow them to connect and sync properly.

i’ve requested an update and linked them to this discussion, will pass on what happens. Meantime I am considering restoring the phone as new via iTunes to see what happens, and if (as I suspect) no different restoring back to my iTunes backup.

here’s hoping ?

I am so glad to hear I am not alone in this. I'm stumped. Each update I get hopeful that it will fix itself but no go. I too am on Catalina, but my phone's backup was on my iMac which was NOT on Catalina. The only thing I can think of to do would be to erase and restore again. Unfortunately I am out of town for 2 more weeks and won't have an opportunity to do so. I hope they figure it out. You're the first to say you have the same exact problem, but on Reddit I've seen others with similar pieces of this issue not working so it's not just us.

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
AppleCare just rang to update me - the Engineers advised that they have received multiple reports of this problem from users and are continuing to investigate using the diagnostics provided.

in meantime we are to keep all devices updated as they expect to deliver a fix to all users (not just those affected individually) via a software update (as they did with the iCloud backup issue fixed this week in iOS 13.1.2).

i’ll post any updates as and when received.

Same here with the updates, hoping at least that the impending official Catalina release finally fixes it.

I reckon it’s something to do with back end changes to icloud account structures between iOS 12/Mojave and iOS 13/Catalina (ie something in the hidden files and folders we can’t see on our devices has become corrupt) rather than a hardware fault with our new phones. Or something is wrong in server side config relating to how our new phones came to be set up which now doesn’t allow them to connect and sync properly.

i’ve requested an update and linked them to this discussion, will pass on what happens. Meantime I am considering restoring the phone as new via iTunes to see what happens, and if (as I suspect) no different restoring back to my iTunes backup.

here’s hoping ?

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
AppleCare just rang to update me - the Engineers advised that they have received multiple reports of this problem from users and are continuing to investigate using the diagnostics provided.

in meantime we are to keep all devices updated as they expect to deliver a fix to all users (not just those affected individually) via a software update (as they did with the iCloud backup issue fixed this week in iOS 13.1.2).

i’ll post any updates as and when received.

Thanks for the update. Maybe I'll get lucky and the fix will happen before I get home and try to restore again.

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
I am about to install iOS 13.2 public beta.

Nothing in release notes specifically about a fix for this - but **** it. I have various backups archived - and nothing ventured, nothing gained. ?

Thanks for the update. Maybe I'll get lucky and the fix will happen before I get home and try to restore again.

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
I’m happy to report that I’ve managed to resolve things. Here’s how I did it;

Prep on phone
  • Installed iOS 13.2 public beta on iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • signed out of iCloud and iTunes/app store
  • turned sync library off in music app settings
  • cancelled Apple Music (was subscribed via my EE mobile plan)
  • restored iPhone manually as new phone
Prep on Mac
  • Erased MacOS disk completely (due to changes made by Catalina to APFS volumes/containers, eg read-only system and separate data volumes)
  • restored cloned copy of Mojave 10.14.4 backup from June (using Carbon Copy Cloner)
  • installed 10.14.5 and 10.14.6 updates (manually downloaded)
  • installed Safari 13 (via software update)
  • Manually checked that all music present in library with icloud music library turned OFF
  • Signed out of and back into iCloud and iTunes/app store
  • checked sync settings in iTunes on Mac, taking care to make sure sync library option turned ON
  • Transferred purchases from phone to Mac
  • synced phone with Mac, and finally
  • turned on sync library on phone.

I can now see my full library in iTunes on Mac and Music app on phone, and can download music via purchases and from iCloud library on both devices.

My iPad Pro was unaffected by this and I didn’t sign out of iCloud or iTunes/app stores on it whilst doing this.

I did have some minor teething troubles with icloud contacts being duplicated and my series 4 Apple Watch becoming unpaired, but thankfully these were easily rectified afterwards. It’s nice to finally be free of looking at settings after two hellish weeks.

Still not sure what was to blame exactly - backup corruption or iCloud account issues. I will probably be much less keen to jump in to betas in future and am def going to wait for a bit before upgrading to Catalina after its release, I think.

I’d try restoring a copy of my backup Mojave clone over a fresh install in a Parallels virtual machine then upgrading that to Catalina, if it wasn’t for the risk of re-corrupting my iCloud account again now that everything is finally working as expected!

Nope. Worth a try tho. ??

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
I’m happy to report that I’ve managed to resolve things. Here’s how I did it;

Prep on phone
  • Installed iOS 13.2 public beta on iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • signed out of iCloud and iTunes/app store
  • turned sync library off in music app settings
  • cancelled Apple Music (was subscribed via my EE mobile plan)
  • restored iPhone manually as new phone
Prep on Mac
  • Erased MacOS disk completely (due to changes made by Catalina to APFS volumes/containers, eg read-only system and separate data volumes)
  • restored cloned copy of Mojave 10.14.4 backup from June (using Carbon Copy Cloner)
  • installed 10.14.5 and 10.14.6 updates (manually downloaded)
  • installed Safari 13 (via software update)
  • Manually checked that all music present in library with icloud music library turned OFF
  • Signed out of and back into iCloud and iTunes/app store
  • checked sync settings in iTunes on Mac, taking care to make sure sync library option turned ON
  • Transferred purchases from phone to Mac
  • synced phone with Mac, and finally
  • turned on sync library on phone.

I can now see my full library in iTunes on Mac and Music app on phone, and can download music via purchases and from iCloud library on both devices.

My iPad Pro was unaffected by this and I didn’t sign out of iCloud or iTunes/app stores on it whilst doing this.

I did have some minor teething troubles with icloud contacts being duplicated and my series 4 Apple Watch becoming unpaired, but thankfully these were easily rectified afterwards. It’s nice to finally be free of looking at settings after two hellish weeks.

Still not sure what was to blame exactly - backup corruption or iCloud account issues. I will probably be much less keen to jump in to betas in future and am def going to wait for a bit before upgrading to Catalina after its release, I think.

I’d try restoring a copy of my backup Mojave clone over a fresh install in a Parallels virtual machine then upgrading that to Catalina, if it wasn’t for the risk of re-corrupting my iCloud account again now that everything is finally working as expected!

That's way more than I want to go through to fix this. I just lucked into 6 months of free Spotify so it'll fit the bill while I wait for it to work itself out.

Reactions: SUGAR RAY WONKA

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I know this sounds a bit off, but every time iOS gets updated, the library file is also updated, however small the update is. This happens on major upgrade (iOS 12 to iOS 13 for example), and sometimes minor update (iOS 13.1 to iOS 13.2 for example).

The thing is, such small updates means downgrading iOS to an older version will render iTunes library file unreadable or read-only. I encountered this issue numerous times. Every time it happens, I connect my iPhone to Mac, open iMazing, navigate to iOS file system, delete everything inside the iTunes_Control folder, then sync everything again.

Don’t know much about Apple Music but I think it works the same way iTunes sync works. This issue is unrelated to the backup thing, and for me sign out and sign in has no effect since I don’t have Apple Music.

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
That's way more than I want to go through to fix this. I just lucked into 6 months of free Spotify so it'll fit the bill while I wait for it to work itself out.

Yep, agreed - we should absolutely NOT have to resort to this sort of drastic measure.
[automerge]1570702155[/automerge]
I know this sounds a bit off, but every time iOS gets updated, the library file is also updated, however small the update is. This happens on major upgrade (iOS 12 to iOS 13 for example), and sometimes minor update (iOS 13.1 to iOS 13.2 for example).

The thing is, such small updates means downgrading iOS to an older version will render iTunes library file unreadable or read-only. I encountered this issue numerous times. Every time it happens, I connect my iPhone to Mac, open iMazing, navigate to iOS file system, delete everything inside the iTunes_Control folder, then sync everything again.

Don’t know much about Apple Music but I think it works the same way iTunes sync works. This issue is unrelated to the backup thing, and for me sign out and sign in has no effect since I don’t have Apple Music.

Very interesting, thanks.

Is there a way to purge that folder without imazing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.