Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davycrocket825

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
East Sussex
I tried ripping a CD to my Apple Music Library but it only routed the first few tracks ? any suggestions of alternative music players ?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Have you selected all?
Also, try to rip CD after completely signing Out of Apple Music.
I also rip CD and never saw that.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Was the CD new or possibly scratched/chipped/covered in something? My working guess is scratched or similar. If the damage is bad enough (which may not look so bad on a quick inspection), the rip will fail... sometimes after succeeding on a few songs outside of the scratched/damaged zone. Been there several times myself.

Have you tried ripping at least one other (pristine) CD to perhaps know if maybe that CD has an issue?

Was that CD a professionally-made CD or perhaps a burned copy or burned "mix-tape"-type CD?

Do the CD songs play in the player? In other words, instead of ripping the disk, try live playing it in the same player and see if songs beyond the point where it stopped ripping will successfully play. Don't skip to a song that didn't rip (as you might skip over the part of the disc that derailed the rip. Instead, start playing with the last song that did successfully rip and let it roll on to the next song that didn't. If you hear it start losing track of the song (skipping, jumping around, starting & stopping), you'll know you have a bad CD. Check it in case perhaps it's just dirty. If so, clean it and try again.

For this last part, it's important to use the SAME player- the one from which you rip CDs. Taking it to another CD player introduces other variables, such as perhaps better error correction where maybe the one in- say- your car can play the disc but the ripper hardware can't. The test here is trying to find out if it is the CD, your CD reader, etc... which can be easily pinned down by trying one more, brand new, pristine CD and then trying to live play the problematic one without ripping it.

One more tip: Sometimes it's just ONE song. On the screen where you approve the rip, you can uncheck boxes next to songs to basically say, do NOT rip this song. So if the disk is in great shape, no scratches, no residue, etc, you might try putting it in again, unchecking the box next to the first song that did not rip and then trying again. If that fails, try again unchecking that same song and the next one, then try to rip the rest. Etc. If there's a total of- say- 12 songs on the disc maybe you can salvage 6-11 of them by skipping a few that must be damaged/improperly burned/etc.

If you purchased a new disc, seller may be willing to swap it for the same CD if this one is unplayable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.